Old 05-22-2011, 05:25 PM   #1

New York max width

I understand the max width for RVs is 96" in NY. Does this apply to motorhomes also and all roads? Since the majority of As and Cs are over 96", what do u people in the NE do? We are thinking of traveling your way but our class C is 101" wide. Do we skip NY? Thanks for your input.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:44 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

As long as you stay on major roads, you probably won't have a problem. The interstate maximum is 102", as well as most roads. In New York there are exceptions, so you might want to check further if you get off of the beaten path.

Howstuffworks "Trailer Towing Regulations"

My trailer is 8' wide, but the awning and marker lights put it out to about 102". I have the concern on being too wide on some of the roads I travel in Maryland, but so far I haven't had a problem with the law.......just gotta watch out for overhanging branches.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by popbreed View Post
I understand the max width for RVs is 96" in NY. Does this apply to motorhomes also and all roads? Since the majority of As and Cs are over 96", what do u people in the NE do? We are thinking of traveling your way but our class C is 101" wide. Do we skip NY? Thanks for your input.
I'm retired from NY and I believe the max width is 102" on Interstates and State Highways. However, in the southeast part of the state are "Parkways" which were built during the 30's depression. They are narrow, windy, have low bridges and are (too bad, they're very scenic) NOT meant for large heavy vehicles and are prohibited (no trailers or vehicles over 7000lbs I believe, including "dually's"). Since your final destination may be way off the beaten path, you may use the secondary roads to get there and back out. Just so long as you don't use them as a "thoroughfare" between major highways. Most secondary roads should be posted if there are any restrictions such as weight, height or bridge restrictions. I've towed all over the state with open trailers, enclosed car haulers, and a 44' race hauler and never was hassled by any law enforcement.

Hope this helps and happy trails.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. Appears to be not a problem. Our rig is only 24' long so I think we will be OK.