Old 05-06-2016, 06:58 PM   #1
Newbie Trip South

My wife and I are planning our first long trip South. (long for us newbies) We will be driving from Leland NC to the Kendall area of Miami to visit family. We are apprehensive doing this trip due to the heavy traffic and congestion primarily in the Miami/Kendall area. We will be driving a Forester 3011 DS and towing a car which we have never ever done in heavy traffic.
We would appreciate any suggestions, feedback areas to avoid, for a newbie RVer. Many thanks in advance.

JerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 02:05 PM   #2
Seems lots of people read posts about traveling certain highways but don't respond so much. I haven't traveled the Miami area myself but wouldn't think it would be much worse than Atlanta. I have a Ram 2500 and pull a 35 ft travel trailer so we are probably about the same length. I just plan ahead for turns and work my way into the exit lane in advance. We also plan to travel high congested areas outside the go to or return home from work hours.

I try to stay away from I 95 as much as I can. Just don't like it. Looks like you are in the Wilmington area just east of I95 so not much choice of route to travel.

Hope you have a fun, safe, and enjoyable trip.

Enjoying God's creation each day.

2013 Ram Longhorn Laramie with 6.7L Cummins Diesel
Forest River Sierrra 378FB
ptylerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:17 PM   #3
We just came back from the Keys and travel the east coast of Fl all the time. Heading south take I 95 until just outside of Jacksonville and take the I 295 EAST around Jacksonville and then get back on I 95 South. At Fort Pierce Fl get on the Fl Turnpike which avoids a lot of congestion and the exit for Kendall is clearly marked. My advice is get a Sun Pass in advance so you do not get charged in the mail with a premium based on your license plate. Tolls are pre-paid with the Sun Pass and can be used in multiple vehicles.

Safe travels.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:11 PM   #4
Yes I agree with the previous post. The 295 east bypass for Jacksonville works best for me, stay on 95 south to Fort Pierce ( exit 127?) then turnpike south . Shouldn't be a problem at all
Outside of rush hour. Sunpass or Epass make it simple

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forum

Other Motorhome

2013 F-150 Eco-Boost V6
mrmichael is offline   Reply With Quote