Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2014, 09:07 AM   #1

Niagara Falls, Canada

Hi folks.

DW and I along with our 2 kids are planning an 8 day trip to Niagara Falls, Canada late July, 2014. I like to do my homework when on the road and thought I would ask this question.

Does anyone know of any type of restrictions (other than passports) whether LP/Propane or otherwise while traveling into Canada?

As we all know, several tunnels and roadways have LP restrictions such as the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel, and wanted to make certain I don't find out too late. Call me anal, but I like being thorough.

Any insight will be appreciated.

"Live" so that when your children hear the words Ethics, Integrity or Honor, they would think of You.

USMC - Semper Fi
Carlosrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:16 AM   #2

Just spent a long weekend in Canada with a facebook group. Drove from South East Pa. Not a bit of trouble getting into Canada or back into US. They say no meats or fresh veggies. Canada has a seperate RV lane if you cross at the Rainbow bridge at Niagra Falls. Need to pull in and shut engine off. We went back into US at the Buffalo NY crossing, again lane marked for RV's.but no toll in this direction. We stayed at Bissells Hidaway. Nice park, plenty for kids. Pool, horse back riding, zip line etc. Have fun !
Paul

"DON'T FORCE IT - GET A BIGGER HAMMER'
"Paul & Laurie"
2013 Columbus 340 RK
2013 F350 Dually 6.7 Diesel
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:18 AM   #3

I do know if you travel with a firearm you had better leave it someplace in the U.S. They do not honor a concealed carry license from any state in the U.S.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by presley01 View Post
I do know if you travel with a firearm you had better leave it someplace in the U.S. They do not honor a concealed carry license from any state in the U.S.
We went in stating we had no tabacco, no liquor, no narcotics and no firearms. = No problems.

"Paul & Laurie"
2013 Columbus 340 RK
Old 06-29-2014, 09:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by presley01 View Post
Correct, no guns into Canada for the most part. They pretty much restrict them with their own citizens as well. Not sure if your into a more "natural" expierence while at the Falls. The Canadian side gives you a view of the American Falls, but is extremely crowded. The US side is much more natural, and you can walk a bit along the Niagara River up from the brink.If you want a park like setting, go to
http://niagarafallsupclose.com/ameri...k/goat-island/
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:42 AM   #6

Great!

Thank you all for the great advice. Wouldn't want to upset the Mounties.

"Live" so that when your children hear the words Ethics, Integrity or Honor, they would think of You.

USMC - Semper Fi
Old 06-29-2014, 10:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Just spent a long weekend in Canada with a facebook group. Drove from South East Pa. Not a bit of trouble getting into Canada or back into US. They say no meats or fresh veggies. Canada has a seperate RV lane if you cross at the Rainbow bridge at Niagra Falls. Need to pull in and shut engine off. We went back into US at the Buffalo NY crossing, again lane marked for RV's.but no toll in this direction. We stayed at Bissells Hidaway. Nice park, plenty for kids. Pool, horse back riding, zip line etc. Have fun !
Paul

Paul
Thanks for the advice. Can I ask a dumb question?

Why do they make you shut your engine? Is there some type of inspection?
Not to circumvent anything, just curious.

USMC - Semper Fi
Old 06-29-2014, 11:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosrod View Post
Paul
Thanks for the advice. Can I ask a dumb question?

Why do they make you shut your engine? Is there some type of inspection?
Not to circumvent anything, just curious.

Not sure. Had to pull into RV lane. Sign says shut off engine. We sat there for a couple minuets before the agent came out. He asked the usual questions : where you going etc. Then said he had to scan our passports into the system. He took them into the building and returned in 5 min. & we were on our way.
Paul

"Paul & Laurie"
2013 Columbus 340 RK
Old 06-29-2014, 11:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Correct, no guns into Canada for the most part. They pretty much restrict them with their own citizens as well. Not sure if your into a more "natural" expierence while at the Falls. The Canadian side gives you a view of the American Falls, but is extremely crowded. The US side is much more natural, and you can walk a bit along the Niagara River up from the brink.If you want a park like setting, go to
Niagara FallsÂ*|Â*Goat Island-Niagara Falls
Like I said , we were there two weeks ago. Crouds were not bad. No more than 5 - 10 Min. (tops) waiting for any line. Boats, large ferris wheel, ride to top of tower, helicopter ride etc.

"Paul & Laurie"
2013 Columbus 340 RK
Old 06-29-2014, 12:16 PM   #10

They ask you to shut the engine off so they don't have to breath the fumes from your TV.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:27 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
They ask you to shut the engine off so they don't have to breath the fumes from your TV.
We are very concerned with green house gasses caused by fossil fuels in Canada, doing our part for greening the world!
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:43 PM   #12

When returning to the US be careful of what you take back. I got searched earlier this week and found to be in possession of illegal contraband........2lbs of BC grown tomatoes and three bell peppers!

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
With a F350 dually

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:29 PM   #13

Ok. I have to remember, no tomatoes and bell peppers. LOL

Thanks again.

USMC - Semper Fi
Old 06-29-2014, 05:52 PM   #14

Just got back... I didn't see anything about LP restrictions, anywhere. Went over on the Rainbow bridge, checked us pretty close... asked questions... said he was xraying the trailer and truck, don't believe it, but maybe so. He went inside the trailer, opened drawers.. complimented the Triumph Thunderbird. They don't allow guns, no ammo, or contraband. And, apparently peppers and tomatoes :-) We had both probably, they missed them! Pay the ridiculous toll, be prepared to take 2 hours to get across the bridge (Rainbow). It took us that long. Get to the falls when the suns shining, but beautiful with a capital B! Coming back, no toll, no close check... maybe 10 minutes, came across the Peace bridge, which is the one to use (coming or going - IMO) if you are coming up from the south, certainly. Look for the sign Ft. Erie exit, nothing I saw said anything about the Peace bridge nor Canada until you pass the exit (now you know why we went in on the Rainbow :-) We turned the phones off and no internet, except at the CG. Expensive roaming in CA. Also, you should check your GPS if you have one, ours didn't have CA maps. If you do any driving in CA, expect not much in the way of highway signage. They take US dollars, but most charge you as if it were Canadian, which is worth less... they take credit cards but might charge you a service fee. Things are not cheaper there, for instance diesel is $5.50 a gallon, once converted from Metric to US. The falls are great, but to see the beauty of Canada go north... far north!

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:50 PM   #15

Thanks WolfWhistle. Awesome advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

USMC - Semper Fi
Old 06-29-2014, 07:22 PM   #16

This is informational, we love our Canadian friends. First, you only pay one way because they collect both tolls on the canadian side. The "Public Bridge Authority" aka locally refered to as the Peace Bridge, is the second most in volume, of all entry points in and out. So, if you can plan your crossing during off peak hours at that crossing point you will have less of a wait. The Public Bridge Authority/Peace Bridge is a much larger bridge, so it can handle quite a bit of vehicles.

Almost everything is more expensive in Canada. Its just how their government taxes things. There are way more fuel taxes, liquor/beer taxes, etc. They love shopping on the US side, so they can skirt all the levies put on them. It's sort of the way we are beginning to think on this side of the border, by taxing us more and more. As far as being scanned, and you are, its for all our safety. The xray thing is for our safty as well, looking for hidden compartments and the like. They restrict much produce, because of the bug transmission issue. And rightly so, I might add.

But, you will find that they are very friendly people, unless you tell them you don't like hockey! Oh, and one more thing, if you have any bad history, all of your id's are run through the database. Too bad our southern border is a sieve right now, makes ya wonder don't it. The good part is no fence is needed, we have the mighty Niagara, to keep out the bad guys. Makes the rio grande look like a trout stream.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:39 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Talk about a Double Double the official Canadian non Alcoholic drink and you are in!
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:32 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Talk about a Double Double the official Canadian non Alcoholic drink and you are in!
From Timmy Hoes!! Best ever.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:38 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
From Timmy Hoes!! Best ever.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:15 AM   #20

We are heading there next week. So looking forward to it!

We have gone a couple times in the last few years. This will be the first time at a campground as we have always done the hotel thing before.

Yes stuff does cost more up here in Canada, but I love it here. It is a great place to live!

2013 F150 v8 4x4 Supercab
2014 Surveyor 192T
rycej is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada