Old 05-21-2015, 03:39 PM   #1

Cool Niagra Falls to Williamsburg VA - What to avoid!

In September DW and I will be pulling our TT from Ransomville, NY (near Niagra Falls) to Williamsburg, VA. I know there are a lot of low mountains and tall hills to go through, but would like to hear from someone who has gone that direction and if there are any particular routes I should avoid at all costs.

Equal-i-zer hitch
Old Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bill View Post
In September DW and I will be pulling our TT from Ransomville, NY (near Niagra Falls) to Williamsburg, VA. I know there are a lot of low mountains and tall hills to go through, but would like to hear from someone who has gone that direction and if there are any particular routes I should avoid at all costs.
Been there a few times in September, do you have a particular campground in mind, as that will determine which side of the James river you will be on. Less conjestion on the west side of the river because you avoid more traffic. PM me if your open to where to stay in the Williamsburg, VA area.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:28 PM   #3

Quote:

Oooo. Care to mention any nice campgrounds around you that people could use to visit Niagara Falls?

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:57 AM   #4

We'll be staying at the American Heritage RV Park.
Equal-i-zer hitch
Old 05-22-2015, 05:59 AM   #5

We're staying at the Niagara Falls North/Lewiston KOA in Youngstown, NY.
Equal-i-zer hitch
Old 05-22-2015, 07:30 AM   #6

I would avoid I-95 and I-64. We travel between Newport News and Winchester, VA, using US 17 which will take you almost to Williamsburg. We find the route is as quick as the interstate under normal conditions but when the interstate is congested US 17 is a lot quicker and a whole lot less frustrating. This stretch takes under 4 hours depending on how you drive and traffic has not backed-up during our travels. I-81 runs through Winchester north into Pennsylvania so this route may not be out of your way.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:37 PM   #7

I used to live in Newport News while stationed at Fort Eustis, we now live back home in Amherst and we drove all the different routes many many times. The best advise I can give you is to travel on a weekend. Less congestion going through the DC area. You can take the southern route (219) but I just dealt with the 90 to 390 to 11/15 to 270 - 495 around DC then 95 to 64.

Just hope no accidents along the way. And while in PA, make sure you stop at the Sheets gas stations. I love them!
Old 05-24-2015, 12:52 PM   #8
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
In September DW and I will be pulling our TT from Ransomville, NY (near Niagra Falls) to Williamsburg, VA....would like to hear from someone who has gone that direction and if there are any particular routes I should avoid at all costs.
I live in Richmond and visited relatives in Buffalo often, so I've done that. Do you want to stay on interstates? Or are you amenable to driving federal highways? Will you do this in one day? I've done both so let me know.

2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is online now   Reply With Quote