Old 11-13-2015, 09:06 PM   #1

Niagra then NYC

We are headed to Niagra Falls then to NYC in the spring from Ky. Does anyone have any advise on a scenic route north and how close to NYC should I stay to visit some of the sites?

2005 Flagstaff FS26
2006 GMC Sierra Denali 6.0L
HP Tuner

Old 11-27-2015, 08:26 PM   #2

We stayed at Black Bear campground in Florida NY and took the bus tour that picked up right in the campground. The campground is an older Good Sam. It's about a hour and a half run to the city on the bus. The tour cost $105 per person and lasted all day, it included Times Square, the Freedom Tower and the Statue of Liberty on the ferry. There is also a KOA in Newburgh that also offers bus tours. Even though I live in a big city myself, I saw enough of New York City to decide I would never try to drive anywhere near the tourist sites, take a tour or a train. We did go to the West Point academy on our own, it has tours and a great military museum.

Old 11-27-2015, 08:35 PM   #3

We stayed at Liberty Harbor in Jersey City and really enjoyed being so close to all the sites. It took less than 5 minutes to walk to the PATH train with a 5 and 8 year old, then a 10-15 minute train ride to either the World Trade Center or 33rd St (Times Square) area. If you plan to visit the sites IN NYC, then that is where I would suggest.

It is pricey, but you pay for convenience.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:37 PM   #4
Fulltime family RVer

There is a parking lot RV park called Liberty Harbor that is across from the Statue of Liberty. The sites are water + electric only. They're the closest that you're going to get to the city. As far as I've found, everything else is 45-60 minute drive/mass transit ride in.

Liberty Harbor RV Park
Old 12-14-2015, 11:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLAK View Post
We stayed at Black Bear campground in Florida NY and took the bus tour that picked up right in the campground. The campground is an older Good Sam. It's about a hour and a half run to the city on the bus. The tour cost $105 per person and lasted all day, it included Times Square, the Freedom Tower and the Statue of Liberty on the ferry. There is also a KOA in Newburgh that also offers bus tours. Even though I live in a big city myself, I saw enough of New York City to decide I would never try to drive anywhere near the tourist sites, take a tour or a train. We did go to the West Point academy on our own, it has tours and a great military museum.

How rushed was the bus tour? Did you get to do everything you wanted to?

2005 Flagstaff FS26
2006 GMC Sierra Denali 6.0L
HP Tuner
Old 12-15-2015, 04:43 PM   #6

When leaving Niagara take 104 east to Rochester pickup 390 south to 86 east which will turn into 17 east of Binghamton to 84 east to Newburg. This will save you a bunch of money staying off the NY Thruway and I don't think it will take that much longer.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:47 PM   #7

Our tour took us to Times Square where we had about an hour walking around on own. Then to 9-11, the Freedom Tower and Wall street, 30 minutes walking with the guide and then 30 or so on our own. Back across to the New Jersey side to catch the ferry to the Statue of Liberty. About 1/2 hour for the ferry ride, an hour on our own at the monument and 1/2 hour back. The rest of the time was on the bus (traffic!) looking out the windows. The guide narrated anything remotely interesting on the way and answered lots of 'what's that' questions. The tours vary with the conditions, for example they usually drive up to the UN on the way to Times but the president was speaking that day and security was impossible so they swung by central park and passed the Dakota Hotel (John Lennon) instead.

My personal aspiration was to see the Statue of Liberty and we had plenty of time to walk all the way around it and grab a burger. Another couple used the tour to scope out where stuff was and what they wanted to go back to, like the MOMA - the tour guide told them all about the trains to take and tips to avoid the crazy times.

So while I didn't feel rushed, its not a real in depth experience, but it's good for getting your feet wet. We got back to camp about 6 pm, plenty tired after the full day.