Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2015, 10:50 PM   #1

No bathrooms at croton point???

We are camping at Croton point campground and we found one bathroom, or at least we think it's a bathroom but it's locked up like fort Knox!! How in the world are we supposed to shower or go to the bathroom here? My brother and his kids are in their pop up and have NO place to go to the bathroom or shower. I have NEVER seen a campground that takes 50.00 a night without restrooms and showers. The office was closed when we got here at 4pm, and I've called them 2 times already with no response. Angry is and understatement.

2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4X4
Me, Hubby and Luna the Lab
sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:38 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Rv sites closed October 12th.
Pretty sure that's why the bathhouse is closed.
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1446266321248.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	93339
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 12:25 AM   #3

Talking

Looks like you saved $50.
drelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 03:42 AM   #4

Pretty common around Indiana. Most state parks turn off the water and close the shower houses sometime in October. Some will leave one shower house open all year. You're welcome to camp but bring your own water. Majority of people this time of year are in transit and only looking to crash overnight.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Rv sites closed October 12th.
Pretty sure that's why the bathhouse is closed.
Attachment 93339
Nope..they're still open..full hookups too. We're on one. The cabins closed early oct. RV park has about 50 campers in it now.

2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
Old 11-01-2015, 11:06 PM   #6

All provincial parks up here turn water/power off at thanksgiving.

You can camp for free, until snow closes the roads in..

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Old 11-01-2015, 11:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by drelec View Post
Looks like you saved $50.
Huh??? I'm here now..and I'm paying 50.00 per night. Full price for this half a $$ facility. There's not even any Porta potties...or trash cans. People walking their dogs don't have any where to throw away the poo! Ridiculous!

2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
Old 11-01-2015, 11:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingcybermom View Post
Huh??? I'm here now..and I'm paying 50.00 per night. Full price for this half a $$ facility. There's not even any Porta potties...or trash cans. People walking their dogs don't have any where to throw away the poo! Ridiculous!
Who did you pay? You said office was closed,when you got there? Did you prepay?

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:40 PM   #9

The Park website clearly states "RV sites open April 1 to October 12"

Croton Point Fees

'nuff said...................

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
The Park website clearly states "RV sites open April 1 to October 12"

Croton Point Fees

'nuff said...................
Let.me clarify. I called a month ago to ask about that date because I know someone that made previous reservations to camp there until Nov 5th. They told me that the date was incorrect..that that was for the cabins only, and they took my reservation, making no comments verbally or in my confirmation email of limited facilities. When we got there, we had full hook ups, and I didn't need shower/toilet facilities. Ee had water, electricity and sewer all weekend. Our friends already there had left for NYC untill Saturday. When my brother arrived with his pop up, and they wanted to shower...we found out they were locked up. Our neighbors told us they locked them up on Wednesday, October 28th. There were a few campers without rv's that were quite upset. Soooo your comment of ""nuff said", was not only rude but quite incorrect. When our friends came back on Saturday and found out they shut the facilities down they were really not happy either. No notice, no notifications prior to or during their stay about this. I spoke to a park employee and he said that the date to shut off everything was on the calendar at the office of Nov 5th. He was not aware that they changed it either. There were lots of people walking to the bathroom building and pretty annoyed to find it closed. Not even a porta-potti in sight. Our friends packed up and left, cutting their stay short by 5 days. They couldn't possibly go that long without showering or wondering where they would "go" if you know what I mean.

I sure hope this explains our frustrations better for you. We went to the office in Saturday morning and paid our fees. They did indeed apologize for the inconvenience of not notifying us prior to our arrival that facilities were shut off on Wednesday. The girl in the office said she didnt realize they changed the date either because when she worked the previous Saturday, there was no shutoff scheduled. They didn't care enough though.. wouldn't even consider moving a porta-potti next to the bathroom building. There was a pregnant lady there that we let use our camper to pee because she couldnt hold it any longer while walking her dog. My brother and his family spent the weekend without showering, and because they didn't want to wake us in the middle of the night or early morning did their business in the woods. There wasn't even a garbage can in sight..people picking up dog poo had nowhere to throw it. How can they, or why would they do this with over 40+ campers in the park? Clearly with that many campers and full hookups still.available and running there they weren't closed for the season. Surely over 40 camping units couldnt all have been mistaken about that date. They certainly took my money...full price money for our less than stellar visit.
Disappointment doesn't begin to describe how I feel with this NY state park. Very pretty but awful management.

So Bluepill, does that explain things "nuff" for you?
Sure hope so.

2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
Old 11-02-2015, 03:47 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingcybermom View Post
When my brother arrived with his pop up, and they wanted to shower...we found out they were locked up. Our neighbors told us they locked them up on Wednesday, October 28th. There were a few campers without rv's that were quite upset.

When our friends came back on Saturday and found out they shut the facilities down they were really not happy either. No notice, no notifications prior to or during their stay about this. I spoke to a park employee and he said that the date to shut off everything was on the calendar at the office of Nov 5th. He was not aware that they changed it either.

My brother and his family spent the weekend without showering, and because they didn't want to wake us in the middle of the night or early morning did their business in the woods. There wasn't even a garbage can in sight..people picking up dog poo had nowhere to throw it. They certainly took my money...full price money for our less than stellar visit.
Disappointment doesn't begin to describe how I feel with this NY state park. Very pretty but awful management.
That is pretty messed up. I would assume that you, as well as your friends and brother paid for this with credit cards. It sounds like you may want to refute the charges since the service you paid for was not delivered in full.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
That is pretty messed up. I would assume that you, as well as your friends and brother paid for this with credit cards. It sounds like you may want to refute the charges since the service you paid for was not delivered in full.
X's 2 I would try and get a refund, Try the park system and if no help I would call my Credit card company. THey sure could have told you that when you checked in. If the park was to close on the 12th of Oct they shouldn't have booked you in anyway. I know all our State and COE cg closed Yesterday, They leave 4 spots open for travelers but cut power and water off and lock the showers and bath houses up. The dump stations are still open only. With saying that I know that the COE locks the gate, so I don't know how you would even get in them 4 spots they say they leave open, very confusing. I'm going to get some info from the COE and see what they say here. I'll let everyone know incase your coming through Virginia....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:28 AM   #13

I hope that this C/G owner treats us better than what you went through! We are in Va.at a Private C/G,the owner has a Flow Meter on the water hose,a meter on the Elect,charges for Trash PU, charges for Tow Vehicle parking,but He supplies FREE BOOZE and will Help you drink it! We are trying to get a Seasonal Site Here! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:52 AM   #14

now now, I have to make some money to pay for the Free Booze, You get hook-up's 30 amp, water and sewer, for $35.00 a night you can't beat it with a stick. On top of all that you get to laugh until you start to cry, we like our CG been voted best in Virginia, all forum members are welcome. He didn't read the small print. Owner has the right to throw you out without NOTICE....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:21 AM   #15
(Dry Huunday)

Unbelievable! If they are not going to have bathroom facilities and trash containers available then the campground should be closed....nuff said on that!

Hopefully you and the others can get a refund....I know it doesn't save the vacation but it would be something.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:37 PM   #16

I'm not sure we will try and seek a refund, as we were able to use our trailer bathroom, etc. My brother, however, may just do that. We always have a good time when we camp together so we were able to share many laughs and have a great time even with the inconveniences before us. I just wanted everyone to know to look out for this when booking fall sites at state campgrounds. We normally camp in non-state parks..mostly private campgrounds. I know, I know...many of you love the low fees and off the grid type camping. Not for me, but I was willing to try this after we had a pleasant experience at 4 Mile Creek this summer. If this is an example of what it's like, no view, price point, or quiet time will make me do it again. Hopefully our planned weekend at Fishermans Memorial Campground in RI is a bit better equipped, or it will definitely be our last State park visit.....EVER

2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
Old 11-02-2015, 04:29 PM   #17

Really too bad about your croton point experience. I know you don't like the state park campgrounds where you live but if you ever come Indiana way, give them a try. Our state park system does a good job maintaining the parks and reservoirs , and all but a few are electric sites with water in the area. Shower houses are cleaned multiple times daily and pools and beaches are well maintained. Nothing is perfect. We don't have the mountain vistas like the Smokies or Yellowstone or the beachside campsites like Michigan or Alabama . But that's ok. They're only 35-40 bucks a night and you can still have a great camping experience.
BTW...we have tried several private campgrounds and didn't really care for them. They seem to cater to the seasonal campers and the campers themselves didn't seem to want to interact with the weekenders. That's ok too. We just go elsewhere.
Again sorry about your outing. Hope the next one goes better.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking46 View Post
Really too bad about your croton point experience. I know you don't like the state park campgrounds where you live but if you ever come Indiana way, give them a try. Our state park system does a good job maintaining the parks and reservoirs , and all but a few are electric sites with water in the area. Shower houses are cleaned multiple times daily and pools and beaches are well maintained. Nothing is perfect. We don't have the mountain vistas like the Smokies or Yellowstone or the beachside campsites like Michigan or Alabama . But that's ok. They're only 35-40 bucks a night and you can still have a great camping experience.
BTW...we have tried several private campgrounds and didn't really care for them. They seem to cater to the seasonal campers and the campers themselves didn't seem to want to interact with the weekenders. That's ok too. We just go elsewhere.
Again sorry about your outing. Hope the next one goes better.
I hear ya...it was just a bad management experience, but a good camping weekend. I guess if we didn't experience the bad, we wouldn't know just how good some campgrounds are. We will be traveling quite a bit next year. I just retired on Friday! Yay for me! We are trying to find my brother a nice C class camper so he can enjoy more camping with less set up with his pop up! Then he won't ever have to worry about bathrooms again!

2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
Old 11-02-2015, 04:51 PM   #19

Maybe I'm wrong here, but I don't think Croton Point is a state park. Appears to be a county run facility.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYCamper View Post
Maybe I'm wrong here, but I don't think Croton Point is a state park. Appears to be a county run facility.
I believe you are right. We had to reserve through Westchester County Park system. Maybe that's where the quality of service differs. My bad. I take back what I said about NY State parks earlier. We truly did enjoy our stay at 4 Mile Creek SP. We'd go back there in a heartbeat, even without water or sewers at the sites!

2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS

Tags
roo