Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2011, 08:53 PM   #1

North Carolina Camp Grounds ??

We are trying to plan a camping trip in NC for late March or early-mid April 2012. But we know nothing about the area and need your help....This is our requirements, need a CG with full hook ups, pet friendly (our two camping dogs always go with us), near the mountains, but not IN the mountains, and close to the scenic parkway...also the site must be on the water i.e., a lake, a river, or a pond..etc...and sites not too close together...We are thinking about some place close to Asheville, NC...Any suggestions?

Thank You for your time,
Wolfie
wolfcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:29 PM   #2
The Old Man

This one is near Morganton, NC in the foothills so no mountains to climb. Asheville is about an hour or so away up I40.

Steele Creek Park & Family Campground in Morganton North Carolina

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:32 PM   #3

One of our favorite campgrounds in Western NC is Creekwood Farms in Waynesville. There's a mountain stream running next to it with sites that back up to it. They have live entertainment on the weekends. 35 miles from Asheville. Maggie Valley is just down the road.
Creekwood Farm RV Park, Great Smoky Mountains and Maggie Valley North Carolina
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

North Carolina and the Blue Ridge Parkway. The Parkway is in the mountains, and rides along the continental divide in places. It starts in Cherokee, and ends in Virginia.

Check this link RV Park Reviews :: Home

Also about the Parkway Blue Ridge Parkway - Home

Enjoy your trip
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:08 PM   #5
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcat1 View Post
This is our requirements ...near the mountains, but not IN the mountains ...
Note that Waynesville and the Parkway (BRP) are both definitely IN the mountains. There is no practical way to get to Asheville and vicinity without going through the mountains. I-26 from the south has a humongous climb between Spartanburg, SC and Hendersonville, NC (Saluda Grade). I-40 from the west is a winding and steep white-knuckle ride (if towing) for 100 miles east of Knoxville. I-40 from the east has the infamous Black Mountain Grade which is steep even for a passenger car.

The least mountainous route would be through Johnson City, TN, and take I-26 south to Asheville. Of all the approaches, this one is the newest and the grades are not quite as steep though much longer. Going south on I-26 you will want to stop and rest your brakes often as you'll actually be going downhill much of the way. That route is the best you're going to get.

One other possibility from the west is US74 from Chattanooga. Very winding and a lot of it is two-lanes, but it is a slower and except for a few places not-too-steep drive if you have an extra day or two and you're not in a hurry. If you do take that option don't get fooled into taking US64--it is not a good road for RVs with lots of severe altitude changes and even switchbacks in places.

Towing a trailer to Asheville (and thus Waynesville or the BRP) from any direction is not easy. But once you are in the mountains most of the roads follow the natural valleys and the grades are not too bad unless you get too far from the state highways or Interstates.

Since you are coming from Texas, you can get to the NC foothills via Atlanta and I-85 then I-26 to Tryon, NC. Past Tryon up I-26 toward Asheville is VERY steep. But all along US64 from Tryon (a nice area itself) to Morganton there are LOTS of RV opportunities. Consider Lake Lure/Chimney Rock, Marion, Lake James and the South Mountains Park area (these are just foothills really). If you ever saw the movies "Last of the Mohicans" or "Dirty Dancing" these were shot at Lake Lure and Lake James--that will give you an idea of the beauty of the NC foothills area. Yet if you can drop your trailer or pull a TOAD then Asheville and the BRP are only an hour or so away for day trips.

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #6

Thanks for the info guys, not being familiar with the area, we are assuming some things, (and assumed them wrong) thanks for the input... Our truck is a 1/2 ton, will pull trailer OK on relatively flat land, but would not tow well in the mountains, which we want to avoid....Trying to figure out where we could pull to at near sea level, but still close enough to the mountains to to drive too once we are unhitched..thanks for your help, Vern
wolfcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:52 PM   #7

The best campgrounds in the foothills of North Carolina are near Marion, which is not as steep as say going to Asheville. Look up Marion NC campgrounds, you will find quite a few and some are very nice. Mountain Stream is nice and not far from the Parkway! You would have to come in from the I-85 direction and then go from there to Marion. Hope this helps!
tkephart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:33 PM   #8

As tkephart1 said Marion has many campgrounds. And it's just before you get to Black Mountain so you don't have to pull it.
Phil
Phil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis View Post

One other possibility from the west is US74 from Chattanooga. Very winding and a lot of it is two-lanes, but it is a slower and except for a few places not-too-steep drive if you have an extra day or two and you're not in a hurry. If you do take that option don't get fooled into taking US64--it is not a good road for RVs with lots of severe altitude changes and even switchbacks in places.

Towing a trailer to Asheville (and thus Waynesville or the BRP) from any direction is not easy. But once you are in the mountains most of the roads follow the natural valleys and the grades are not too bad unless you get too far from the state highways or Interstates.
I agree with what Willis has to say about this area. I am from the NW part of MO and we were in this area this June. We stayed just west of Waynesville, NC at Moonshine Creek Campground. It was a nice park, but in the mountains and very tight for us with our Excursion and 35 foot tt.

We came from Nashville across I40, thru Knoxville and into NC. Lots of downhill and wishing I had a exhaust brake. Just need to stay aware of your speed and not let the truckers that are flying by you lieu you into thinking you can speed up.

I posted on another forum board before we left the area to see how US74 was for the trip to Chattanooga would be. Everyone from the area informed me that it was a nice trip, just not the fastest. Weekends you will see lots of traffic through Nantahala gorge and the Ocoee gorge, the 2 lane parts of the route. We really found this part of trip to be very enjoyable for the scenery along the way. Yes, it is winding, but the roads were in pretty good shape and very manageable.

I already want to go back to this area because it is very beautiful. Just listen to the locals and enjoy a very scenic area of the US.
2021 Forest River Riverstone 37FLTH

mike2tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:14 AM   #10

I live in the Asheville area, and if you really would like a dog friendly park and is fairly close to the mountains but not right IN, is 4 Paws Kingdom Campground. They are all about dogs, have weekend entertainment, swimming area for the dogs, a dog park and much more. This campground is about an 1 1/2 hours from Asheville, 2 hours from Cherokee, 1 hour from Boone, 1/2 hour from Chimney Rock, Lake Lure. 45 minutes from Blue Ridge Parkway. Wish you the best!
Gracie4Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:18 PM   #11

I live in the Smoky Mountains near Sylva. I tow all the time in and out of the mountains using our 4 Runner with a V8 and our Tundra most of the time I am towing my boat which weighs around 6,000 pounds. My sister lives in the Dallas area and if you wish to come to the Cherokee, Great Smoky Mountains National Park side of the area you can take 20 out of Texas go through Atlanta to 85 take it to 985 and head north as it basically turns into 441 US 23. It is a nice drive and avoids the Saluda grade completely.

We rarely stay in private campgrounds so I can not help much there in deciding. There are number of places in Cherokee near the BRP like Yogi Bear and a KOA that I know of. We stayed a nice place near Spruce Pine as a kid that is still in Business today called Bear Den and I have stayed in a private place near Valle Crusis called Grandfather Mountain.

The Mile High Campground near Balsam is fairly nice and right off of the BRP. I have not stayed there but have seen it.
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #12

Some of my Favorites.

Here are some that you may like.
1. www.dannicholas.net near Salisbury, NC
2. Jolly Acres RV Park & Storage, near St. George, SC
3. Cane Creek Campgrounds, near Monroe, NC
4. www.mayberrycampground.com, near Mt.Airy, NC

Hopefully this will help. None of these are in the mountains.

Freddie & Linda
2015 FR Sierra 330RLS & 2003 Dodge 2500 4X4 Diesel
TMPS for Camper & TV
Dakota EV is offline   Reply With Quote