Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2017, 09:49 AM   #1

NY State Lake Campgrounds

Hi, We are a semi retired couple and new to RVing. We love to kayak, fish, and hike. We are looking for campgrounds/state parks etc which have a good size
lake. We have a Rockwood 2304KS on order.
Thanks
Hank and Barbara
hankyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:55 PM   #2
Wait till next year...

You might check out the Chenango Rally July 20-22. Chenango Valley State park has 2 kettle ponds and the rally last year was a good time with other FR owners
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:57 PM   #3

Green Lakes State Park near Syracuse is very nice.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:45 PM   #4

Lake Erie state park

Hamlin Beach State Park on Lake Ontario west of Rochester.

Aleghany State Park where either Quaker area or Red House area campgrounds are about a mile from either Quaker or Red House lakes. Quaker area is also a few miles from Friends boat launch on the Aleghany Reservoir.

Camp Chautauqua campground on Chautauqua lake.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 07:07 PM   #5

hankyk-

NY is a big state... are you looking for a particular area you would like to explore?

2021 Cedar Creek 37MBH
2020 F350 Powerstroke Super Duty Lariat Crew Cab
Northern NJ - God Bless America!
dieselbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:46 PM   #6

Hi, King Phillips campground on Lake George, nice place to stay, great area to explore! Enjoy and God Bless.
'13 GMC 2500HD
Duramax/Allison
Otegoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:19 PM   #7

we are from NJ, so anywhere within 3 hours of NYC would be great.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:37 PM   #8

We live in Rochester and have camped at many of the NYS campgrounds. And, dieselbobcat is right ... it's a really big state with lots and lots of places to camp.

Most of the NYS campsites that are controlled/run by NYS don't have any hook-ups ... as in dry camping. There are water spigots, dump stations and bath houses at most of them though. Very few have electric and even fewer have sewer.

- Chenango Valley State Park is a nice campground but the lakes are quite small. Nice to play around for the afternoon but that's about it for kayaking.

- Green Lakes State Park is a really cool (and rare) meromictic lake which means no fall and spring mixing of surface and bottom waters. From the park's website - "Due to the sensitive nature of both Green and Round Lakes, no outside/private boats, kayaks, or canoes are allowed. Rowboat and kayak rentals are available Memorial Day - Labor Day at the Boat House, weather permitting."

- Allegany State Park is very nice. Many sites have 30A electric. We go there once or twice a year. 2 lakes to fish and paddle around in. Not very large but "enough" for some fun.

- Allegany State Park is right next to the Allegheny reservoir which is HUGE!

- Hamlin Beach State Park is on Lake Ontario. Many sites have 30A electric. Not always an "easy" paddle due to the waves & size of the lake.

- Lake Erie State Park is on Lake Erie. Not always an "easy" paddle due to the waves & size of the lake.

- Sampson State Park in the Finger Lakes area is one we frequent a lot. Many sites have 30A electric. Park has LOTS of military history. It was a large base for WWII.

- There are several other campgrounds on the Finger Lakes that are really nice.

- Almost unlimited campgrounds in the Adirondack Mountain area. Almost none of them have amenities at your site.

- Cranberry Lake State Park (in the Adirondack Mountains) is really nice. The winds can pick up quickly and the paddling can get hard so be prepared.

- Many campgrounds in the 1000 Islands area as well. With and without amenities.

If you can give an idea as to where you want to be in the state, I can post my thoughts. We mostly "dry camp" in NYS parks so that's the area that we have the most knowledge. We almost never use "resorts" in NYS so I wouldn't be of any help there.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankyk View Post
Hi, We are a semi retired couple and new to RVing. We love to kayak, fish, and hike. We are looking for campgrounds/state parks etc which have a good size
Thanks
Hank and Barbara
You might try Sampson State Park on Seneca Lake in upper New York State.
In 1952 it was Sampson AFB where I took my basic training. In 1967 I went there to look around and was surprised to find it was a RV park. I just looked it up and it has quite a good rating. Seneca Lake is quite a large lake so that should meet your criterion.
papakilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:29 PM   #10

Talking Kayaking campsites

Green lake beautiful park but does not allow you to use your own kayak has rentals available
Delta lake near Rome is Great
Rollins Pond
Fish creek Pond near Saranac
Piseco lake has 3 small campgrounds on lake
Coles creek on Saint Laurence river
Kanada lake near Almond New Yor k off rt 86 (county park with full hookups
Tompkins (Corp of Engineers) on Conawesqueue(not right spelling )
off rt 15 a little South of Corning
Willowbay Pa. 8 miles south of Allegany Quaker area on Kinzua reservoir
Golden Hill on lake ontario

Many others that Brother campers have or will suggest
tonyb1725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 04:18 PM   #11

Quote:
we are from NJ, so anywhere within 3 hours of NYC would be great.
Hank and Barbara-

Unfortunately, most of the suggestions listed are outside the three-hour window from the metro NYC area.

As stated, most NY state parks do not offer hookups... there are a few spots in PA that are great fits to what you are looking for as well...

Before listing a bunch of places that are not what you are looking for, do you think you will need hookups or are you ready for dry camping?

Dieselbobcat

2021 Cedar Creek 37MBH
Old 01-01-2018, 04:34 PM   #12

Just an FYI the lake at Red House in Allegany state park has been drained to work on the Dam down stream.
Moogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 05:04 PM   #13

Sampson State Park is nice but the last time we were there the skunks were terrible. I have never seen so many. That is one state park I won't go back to.

I do love Cranberry State Park. There are also several in the Catskills that are popular. Just know the better ones are very hard to get into and get a site. Many as stated do not have electricity. Google the site that has photos of many of the NYS Parks campsites. This guy takes pictures of several different angles of each site. It is incredible. Enjoy and good luck.

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 05:30 PM   #14

NYS :ales

There are many great campsites around the many great lakes in NYS. If you want great fishing try the St. Lawrence River. Wellsly Island and Lisbon Beach are just two of many. Both also put you close to Black Lake which also has great fishing. The Lisbon Beach Campground is close by Waddington, which has hosted several Bass Master Events. Short drive to the Adirondaks and a multitude of hiking.
RStormC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:00 PM   #15

We have no problem camping without hookups, as long as the restrooms are clean enough that my wife would be comfortable. As newbies, I would prefer hookups, but I would travel 4/5 hours for the perfect lake setup. Going to central or western PA is not a problem.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:14 PM   #16
Senior

Quote:
We have no problem camping without hookups, as long as the restrooms are clean enough that my wife would be comfortable. As newbies, I would prefer hookups, but I would travel 4/5 hours for the perfect lake setup. Going to central or western PA is not a problem.
I lived in North Jersey for most of my life. My suggestion is to search near lake George or the Finger lakes in N.Y. also state parks at lake Walenpapack in the Poconos.
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:51 PM   #17
ysidive

Talking Great NY campground

Quote:
Thanks
Hank and Barbara
Check Lake George NY... Clearest water in the Northeast... Nice campgrounds on the lake... If you want laid back away from the glitter and night life of Lake George village then you should try Roger Rock campground in the Northern end of the Lake... Great access for canoes, boats etc...
ysidive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:03 PM   #18

Lake George RV Resort on rt 149 won't be disappointed,as for King Philip"s thats located in Lake george not on lake george,be careful read small and fine print in dealing this campground!!!
locoengnr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:27 PM   #19

Kring Point State Park. Over half their campsites are right on the St. Lawrence river. Its beautiful!
D-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Ok.. taking a guess on this... I'm going to lean more towards state parks, waterfront sites preferred, and within 3-4 hours... I tend to head for smaller lakes when out with the kayak...

In order of distance roughly....

Turkey Swamp County Park - 200 Georgia Rd, Freehold, NJ 07728 - boat launch, water electric sites... in your backyard almost... hidden gem

Spruce Run Resivor - 68 Van Syckles Rd, Clinton, NJ 08809 - can get waterfront and launch from site... we only frequent this park on the fringe seasons - summer weekends get crowded

Promised Land State Park - 100 Lower Lake Rd, Greentown, PA 18426- only a couple waterfront and launch from the site... but you can get full hookups on lower half of Pickerel Point... hard to get a site but worth it. Home of CCC Museum and great ranger programs

Clarance Fanestock State Park - 1088 Cold Spring Turnpike, Hopewell Junction, NY 12533 - boat launches - Two larger ponds/lakes and one hidden lake (PM for details on how to get to third)...

North-South Lake - 874 N Lake Rd, Haines Falls, NY 12436 - can get waterfront and launch from site, great hiking... Katterskill Falls almost in the park - Hunter Mountain within 20 minutes.

Kenneth Wilson State Park - 859 Wittenberg Rd, Mt Tremper, NY 12457 -boat launch - not too far outside of Phonecia NY

Lake Warmung State Park - 30 Lake Waramaug Rd, New Preston, CT 06777 - lake access across road - cool CT state park, 20 minutes from the antique flea markets (Site of where they film Flea Market Flip TV show)

Lackawanna State Park - 1839 N Abington Rd, North Abington Township, PA 18414- multiple boat launches - just on the other side of Scranton, PA.

Soaring Eagle Campground - 4092 River Rd, Equinunk, PA 18417 -Upper Delaware Riverfront, campground also runs a livery service for tube trips and will transport you and your kayak upriver.

Mongaup Pond State Park - 231 Mongaup Pond Rd, Livingston Manor, NY 12758- can get waterfront and launch from site. Not far from Roscoe, NY

Arrowhead Marina & RV Park - 2 Van Buren Ln, Schenectady, NY 12302 - This is a new one for me... not a state park and in the limits of Schenectady, but awesome location - paddled good stretches of the Erie Canal... you can pass through locks at no charge without a permit in kayaks... decent fishing.

Glimmerglass State Park - 1527 Co Rd 31, Cooperstown, NY 13326 - Cooperstown on south end of lake... boat launches and electric sites...

We have camped all of these, wouldn't hesitate to return to any of them. There are a bunch more that start to become a little too far for a weekend trip... feel free to PM with any questions.

2021 Cedar Creek 37MBH

Tags
mpg