Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 12:33 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Site team reminder: These type threads (especially those pertaining to fur family) have historically shown to elicit heated and emotional responses. Please follow the posting guidelines and play nice. This thread is not asking a question and is a FYI thing, that no member here can change the campground policy on.

This thread (pardon the pun) is going to need to be kept on a short leash.
Thanks for the reminder, I was about to jump in on a certain message. But I won't!

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply
Old 08-11-2016, 12:37 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
I don't know why that pissed you off that much. Its an advertised policy in every PA state park that has pet friendly campsites. Its the reason they tend to keep them all in a specific loop or grouped together. You can walk your dog on the roads that service the pet sections but not on the roads in the non pet sections. Anywhere else in the entire park including trails is open territory, except beaches. Try that in a National Park. I don't know of any that will not allow your pet into areas like amphitheaters and such in the campground. Some have built pet trails from the pet sections to amphitheaters and activity centers.

The thing that sets me off are the people who knowingly reserve a pet site located in a pet loop and don't own a pet. People selfishly do that to get one of the limited full hookup or electric sites that are located in the pet friendly sections when the prime sites are booked in the non pet sections. That effectively denies some pet owner of a pet friendly site. The pet friendly sites are a small percentage of the non pet sites, so non pet people will hog them up and a pet owner can not get a site. At the same time there are empty sites in the non pet section the non pet person could of taken.

The people without dogs reserve them knowing they will be surrounded by dogs, then have a problem with a dog barking and go complain to the rangers or manager. I volunteer at a PA park and have witnessed it often. My suggestion was if you reserve a pet friendly site you should be required to have a pet. .

They have the right to do so...

Just like a guy in a tent can reserve a pull though full service site..
leaving only a non serviced site for me..

What's the difference?

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Bring Back The Search!
Old 08-11-2016, 12:49 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
I don't know why that pissed you off that much. Its an advertised policy in every PA state park that has pet friendly campsites. Its the reason they tend to keep them all in a specific loop or grouped together. You can walk your dog on the roads that service the pet sections but not on the roads in the non pet sections. Anywhere else in the entire park including trails is open territory, except beaches. Try that in a National Park. I don't know of any that will not allow your pet into areas like amphitheaters and such in the campground. Some have built pet trails from the pet sections to amphitheaters and activity centers.

The thing that sets me off are the people who knowingly reserve a pet site located in a pet loop and don't own a pet. People selfishly do that to get one of the limited full hookup or electric sites that are located in the pet friendly sections when the prime sites are booked in the non pet sections. That effectively denies some pet owner of a pet friendly site. The pet friendly sites are a small percentage of the non pet sites, so non pet people will hog them up and a pet owner can not get a site. At the same time there are empty sites in the non pet section the non pet person could of taken.

The people without dogs reserve them knowing they will be surrounded by dogs, then have a problem with a dog barking and go complain to the rangers or manager. I volunteer at a PA park and have witnessed it often. My suggestion was if you reserve a pet friendly site you should be required to have a pet. The park superintendent agrees but unfortunately policy gets set in Harrisburg.

How long have you been camping in PA parks? You would have really been pissed back before 2008/2009 as no pets were allowed in any PA state park campground before then. I have not kept up with it but as of a couple years ago there were still some that did not allow pets, one being one of the most popular in the entire state, Ohiopyle. I think they opened some sites to pets around 2012 or so. There may still be a few that do not allow pets.

That's funny ! I had to prove my dog was with me in a New York State park a month ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-11-2016, 01:08 PM   #24

Love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_crib_too View Post
Wonder if they had the same rule applied for children. Children are welcome at our family campground but must be kept quiet and on your site at all times. We have a child play area down the road but your child must be driven to this site.
Now THAT'S a CG I would love!
breezyhillfarm is offline   Reply
Old 08-11-2016, 01:12 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayneb236 View Post
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it." Woodrow Call
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne
breezyhillfarm is offline   Reply
Old 08-11-2016, 01:18 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_crib_too View Post
Wonder if they had the same rule applied for children. Children are welcome at our family campground but must be kept quiet and on your site at all times. We have a child play area down the road but your child must be driven to this site.
Keep my kids quiet? I'd have to get rid of the camper if that was a rule.

Nights Camped, 2015: 23, 2016: 27, 2017: 29, 2018: 22, 2019: 29
mikeysotp is offline   Reply
Old 08-11-2016, 01:22 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezyhillfarm View Post
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne
THA MAN!!!
2016 Ford F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke DRW 4X4
2016 Brookstone 395RL
dwayneb236 is offline   Reply
Old 08-11-2016, 01:50 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
They have the right to do so...

Just like a guy in a tent can reserve a pull though full service site..
leaving only a non serviced site for me..

What's the difference?

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Bring Back The Search!
Not much of a difference I guess, but it sort of sucks when someone does that and then complains about a barking dog when they knew up front they reserved a site in a pet friendly section. That's called a busy body.

When the tent camper takes a full service site and you are without one do you have a conniption and make a scene? Maybe go and bitch at the host or ranger? I doubt you do. Maybe that's the difference.

At some of our State Parks pet owners are the minority.

Take Prince Gallitzen for instance...it has 406 campsites.
138 are pet friendly, 268 are not. That's 33% pet friendly.

Out of those 138 pet friendly sites, 3 are host sites which leaves 135 available.

Of those 135 pet friendly sites 48 have electric only which is 35%. Only 8 of those are 50 amp, the others are 30 amp.

Out of the 269 non pet sites, 4 are host sites which leave 264 available.
Of those 264 non pet sites 148 are electric with 50 amp service and 22 of those are full hook up. No sites are 30 amp. and only 116 are undeveloped.

Does that seem a little lopsided? You have to take into account that on a yearly basis, and proven by real numbers reported by the DCNR who operate the parks, pet friendly sites get double the occupancy rates as non pet friendly sites. Also in the state parks when they made the pet friendly sites available staring in the late 00's, entire loops that had seen little use for years at certain parks suddenly became the most popular areas when pets were allowed.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply
Old 08-11-2016, 02:06 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysotp View Post
Probably about to piss off some dog owners here, but...........

I think it's a great policy! Even though we are all dog lovers my family does not have a dog. We just don't have the time for it. We are lucky to have a family member with a great dog and we take it whenever she goes. My problem with dog people is they think that they can just walk their dogs anywhere. My kids are constantly rolling around, sitting down, laying on, etc. the ground in my yard/campsite. People often don't pick up the poop and even if they do I don't care to have my kids exposed to dog pee or a spot where some dog just took a dump. When we have our surrogate dog we walk it in OUR yard or campsite or we go to the woods or a dog park.

Maybe I'm a little uptight about it but if I pay for a campsite I shouldn't have to deal with someone bringing their dog to poop in it. Funny thing is I had an argument with a guy about it one time and he said that since he picked up the poop I should just shut up. I told him that I was going to piss and s**t on his pillow but not to worry because I would pick it up. He locked his camper every time he was going more than 10 feet away that whole weekend.

but I generally find dogs much better neighbors than many children. For that reason alone, I rarely move the 5er when school is not in session.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply
Old 08-11-2016, 03:41 PM   #30

Note to self: Don't stop in Pennsylvania.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply
Old 08-11-2016, 04:58 PM   #31

Sure glad we don't have that problem we our cat.
Epat is offline   Reply
Old 08-11-2016, 05:02 PM   #32

I had dogs, been there done that. In my opinion the worst thing Pa State Parks ever did was to allow pets. It used to be nice to go somewhere where there was peace and quiet. There is nothing wrong with kids laughing, shouting etc (except quiet hrs). Why is it folks with yapping dogs find it amusing. Whenever I try to give a look at a barking dog walking by they smile, I don't get it.. As far as loops, French Creek for example, only has full hookup sites IN the dog loop. So, if I want full hookup, I have to put up with dogs, and yes take up a spot in a dog loop WITHOUT a dog, Sorry. I recently found a park in New York with a NO dog policy. were going to check it out.

"DON'T FORCE IT - GET A BIGGER HAMMER'
"Paul & Laurie"
2013 Columbus 340 RK
2013 F350 Dually 6.7 Diesel
Paul M is offline   Reply
Old 08-11-2016, 05:31 PM   #33
Back On The Go

Thanks for the info. It's always nice to know in advance which parks to go to and which ones to avoid.

Not too serious about anything except what affects health and happiness.
salwolfe is offline   Reply
Old 08-12-2016, 06:04 PM   #34

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1471042836.738078.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	117042
Here is the sign at Promise land State park Pa.
Seem like people have issues with pets and kids. Maybe they should make all State and National parks smoke free zones.
That would change the camping world.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-12-2016, 08:19 PM   #35

We travel with 8. Always check the rules beforehand and keep them quiet. I am also not a fan of other dogs on my site. . Why. . Because I don't know how well cared for others are, if one of mine gets sick it can go through them all.
I have another issue. . People think they can come onto my site when they see them in the xpen. Kids think it's like going to the zoo and all we want is a restful vacation. And yes they are quiet and well behaved being on the show curcuit has taught them manners. We've been complemented by campgrounds wishing the kids were as quiet as our dogs. It's all how they are raised to become canine good citizens.
schnauzer mom is offline   Reply
Old 08-12-2016, 08:56 PM   #36

We camp with dogs....

I have purchased an antibark unit for inside my camper because my newest rescue hates being left in the crate. Works great (& we use it at home too). Would hate to have one of those yipping pups on my site bothering everyone else when we leave ... and I am one of the courageous ones who will approach other pet owners and make suggestions about the anxiety the barking dog is dealing with when they leave their camp sites. I want it quiet too & have enough credentials to offer those suggestions.

We know we could go to adult only campgrounds... but the sounds of kids during the day is usually pretty enjoyable although we are careful to not be right next to playground areas & we set up our site so it would be difficult to cut thru most times

That said... we have a great county park & the pet friendly camp area is sooo small ...we hate that we can't join up with friends that camp there regularly because sites are rarely available in the pet area.

Was only disappointed with a 'pet friendly' RV resort once since we started camping 3.5 yrs ago. Our site was approx 1 mile into the CG, no grass in the park & pets had to be walked on the road only until they exited the park to relieve themselves (or stay on your site only... was all gravel). Unfortunately our pup was arthritic & could never walk that far... ended up having to drive her in / out a couple times a day in search of grass in the F250 diesel. If we had been told what that CG defined as 'pet friendly' we may have brought a cart of some sort to move her around a bit better.

Love FL SP system and the freedom to camp with our dogs (& cat too who just passed ). Just had to watch out for the rattlesnake on our last stay....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07388_edited-1.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	637.0 KB
ID:	117062  

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply
Old 08-13-2016, 01:09 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Without Whine View Post
We camp with dogs....

I have purchased an antibark unit for inside my camper because my newest rescue hates being left in the crate. Works great (& we use it at home too). Would hate to have one of those yipping pups on my site bothering everyone else when we leave ... and I am one of the courageous ones who will approach other pet owners and make suggestions about the anxiety the barking dog is dealing with when they leave their camp sites. I want it quiet too & have enough credentials to offer those suggestions.

We know we could go to adult only campgrounds... but the sounds of kids during the day is usually pretty enjoyable although we are careful to not be right next to playground areas & we set up our site so it would be difficult to cut thru most times

That said... we have a great county park & the pet friendly camp area is sooo small ...we hate that we can't join up with friends that camp there regularly because sites are rarely available in the pet area.

Was only disappointed with a 'pet friendly' RV resort once since we started camping 3.5 yrs ago. Our site was approx 1 mile into the CG, no grass in the park & pets had to be walked on the road only until they exited the park to relieve themselves (or stay on your site only... was all gravel). Unfortunately our pup was arthritic & could never walk that far... ended up having to drive her in / out a couple times a day in search of grass in the F250 diesel. If we had been told what that CG defined as 'pet friendly' we may have brought a cart of some sort to move her around a bit better.

Love FL SP system and the freedom to camp with our dogs (& cat too who just passed ). Just had to watch out for the rattlesnake on our last stay....
Nice looking dogs. .so sorry about your kitty.
schnauzer mom is offline   Reply
Old 08-13-2016, 05:49 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysotp View Post
Probably about to piss off some dog owners here, but...........

I think it's a great policy! Even though we are all dog lovers my family does not have a dog. We just don't have the time for it. We are lucky to have a family member with a great dog and we take it whenever she goes. My problem with dog people is they think that they can just walk their dogs anywhere. My kids are constantly rolling around, sitting down, laying on, etc. the ground in my yard/campsite. People often don't pick up the poop and even if they do I don't care to have my kids exposed to dog pee or a spot where some dog just took a dump. When we have our surrogate dog we walk it in OUR yard or campsite or we go to the woods or a dog park.

Maybe I'm a little uptight about it but if I pay for a campsite I shouldn't have to deal with someone bringing their dog to poop in it. Funny thing is I had an argument with a guy about it one time and he said that since he picked up the poop I should just shut up. I told him that I was going to piss and s**t on his pillow but not to worry because I would pick it up. He locked his camper every time he was going more than 10 feet away that whole weekend.
Just a thought, but if the dog has to stay on either
1. Your campsite
2. Driven to the dog walk area
and #1 is the choice taken, then wouldn't that defeat your goal of camping in a poop-free zone? Seems like this would concentrate the deposits where you least want it. This would have to be the sleazy, cheap, bed bug infested hotel equivalent of a campsite. That would not be for me, but maybe ok with others. Sometime the rules we make have unforseen consequences.

Just sayin'.......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

ChipBruce is offline   Reply
Old 08-13-2016, 06:59 AM   #39

My dogs are not used to being on a leash and sometimes will not void all the time, so I tie them out (with me at all times) until they go. I will sometimes when no one is near let them off the lead to go if tying them out does not work. They are well behaved and listen very well off lead but I always feel guilty. Usually it's first thing in the morning when everyone is still sawing logs. I tend not to walk them around much but they get most of their exercise at home running in the invisible fence

My older dog is protective and barks at everyone so I bought a $250 bark collar for him and he's good. If we do leave them, like we did this weekend at Michigan's Adventure, I gave them some acepromazine which made them mellow and they watched TV in the A/C.

Heck - they are better behaved than my 10yr old autistic son!

ETA:
Also you never know how people take care of their dogs. Most campgrounds require proof of Rabies. Never have I been asked if they were current on their DHPP vaccine, kennel cough vacc, or if they have a negative stool sample or are on Heartworm preventative - all which can be potentially contagious.
Goodyear Endurance Tires
Dr-G is offline   Reply
Closed Thread