Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2018, 02:34 PM   #1

One Day in New Orleans, so I should...

If you had only 1 day (ok, maybe 2) in New Orleans, what are the must-see's? This will be in late February.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:35 PM   #2

NOT Mardi Gras.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:09 PM   #3
Always Learning

We only had 1 evening exploring New Orleans when we were there in December. We made sure to get beignets at Cafe Du Monde. And then walked down Bourbon Street (yes, with 2 kids) and got dinner at a sports bar. I don’t think I’d eat there again- but then again, I tried an alligator burger that was pretty terrible. We then walked around a little more before heading out.

Being late February, Bourbon Street will likely be crazy with Marci Gras partying. In that case, I’d be more apt to get a bus tour.

I’ve wanted to check out the above ground cemetery. And wmtire said the WWII museum was cool.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:10 PM   #4
Sunseeker 2400MBW

I would walk around edges of the French Quarter, the middle is lots of stupid t-shirt stores. If you really want to go down Bourbon St don't go too early, stinky. I always go to see St Louis Cathedral. Ride the St Charles line street cars, St Charles Ave is very pretty,
New Orleans Streetcars | New Orleans Online
you can get off and on or just ride the whole line. The locals and tourists use it so you see everybody. Go to Pat O'Brien's have a mint julep and have your picture taken. Snake and Jake's another good bar. Central Grocery Central Grocery & Deli – Home of the Original Muffuletta muffuletta you won't be sorry. Walking in Audubon Park is nice. You can't see everything but there is lots to see, relax and have fun.
Oh if you do want a t-shirt, the Dirty Coast https://dirtycoast.com/ has the best. They have 2 locations now, I didn't know. Paralines are a very popular (delicious) candy but make sure they are fresh. Personally I would avoid Mardi Gras at all costs, but my daughter lived there 15 years and loved it.
Nancyc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:26 PM   #5

My brother lives in NO and he tells me the new WW2 museum is quite the place to visit. Last time we were there we stayed at New Orleans West KOA. 4.5 stars.
A local eatery is Rivershack Tavern on River Road and Shrewsbury Rd, Jefferson, LA. My Favorite.
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
1970 Yellowstone Used as down payment for first house
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:30 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDnRo View Post
If you had only 1 day (ok, maybe 2) in New Orleans, what are the must-see's? This will be in late February.
Are you camping or using hotels?

Family friendly or more adult oriented?

Alcohol or not?

History interests?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:58 PM   #7
2018 Rockwood 2703WS

Bywater Bakery
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 04:15 PM   #8

Cemetery tour, drive around the Garden District. Cafe Du Monde, WWII museum, Bourbon St. Walk the river walk, maybe go out on the paddlewheeler or ride the free ferry across the river and back (walk on).
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:42 PM   #9

Ok, right. I should have clarified. We will be Camping in a state park north of Lake Ponchartrain. Driving into & out of NO. We will be staying in NO through dinner then heading back to TT. Just 2 seniors, no kids. Will certainly partake of adult beverages, but not really into racy bars or entertainment. Have interest in historical places.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:25 PM   #10
Site Team

Great. Let me download a map of downtown and circle some things and routes, parking, etc. It may take me a day or two, as I'm finishing income taxes.

Since you aren't going till next year, you have plenty of planning time. As pointed out, parts of February will be busy due to Mardis gras festivities.

I'll plan on a one day trip, as that drive over the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway may not be something you want to do twice...or four times counting going to New Orleans then back two days.

One more question. Do you want to walk a lot or as minimal as possible?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:54 PM   #11

Sounds you will be in St. TAMMANY Parish. I lived there 10 years, enjoyed the day trips to NO. We are not drinkers either, but always enjoyed a stroll down Bourbon St. Very interesting city. Lovely parks there on the north shore. Enjoy.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:01 PM   #12

Plantations.. really cool.. a few of them around... neat history
thom125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:12 PM   #13

What ever you do, do NOT take pictures of the street people. I thought one of them was going to attack me until a cop stepped in. You are suppose to pay them for photo's. I guess that is how they make their money.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:21 PM   #14

Visiting New Orleans?

The state parks north of the lake are great and a visit there alone could use a day but if getting into the city, you really need to give some time to the WWII museum, ranked the top destination in N.O. and the number two ranked museum in the country. I always recommend at least a day but give it as much time as you can. Since you are interested in history there are several must sees just around the Jackson Square area in the quarter - for details just visit the Jean Lafitte National Park visitors center on Decatur Street just a couple of blocks from the Jackson Square. Try hard to give your visit at least two and better three days. If a fourth day, take the Creole Queen Riverboat's history tour which makes a stop at the Chalmette Battlefield, site of the Battle of New Orleans.

I guess you figured out I live in the area.
dav7158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 03:51 PM   #15

Google National Park Office. It’s down the street from the famous French donut place. Cafe du Mont. Walking guided tour and discussion on Orleans music and Jazz. Also the old US Mint is interesting. Don t know what your tastes are. Muffalata sandwiches are great
Have fun!
twoclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Great. Let me download a map of downtown and circle some things and routes, parking, etc. It may take me a day or two, as I'm finishing income taxes.

Since you aren't going till next year, you have plenty of planning time. As pointed out, parts of February will be busy due to Mardis gras festivities.

I'll plan on a one day trip, as that drive over the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway may not be something you want to do twice...or four times counting going to New Orleans then back two days.

Right now DW is looking at a knee replacement in August to match her other one. She's hoping to be able to do some pain-free walking by the trip. Might not have built up endurance. Short answer: 'some' walking is ok.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post

Oh, and thanks for the offer of that map. Take your time. Hope Uncle Sam is good to you this year!
Old 04-16-2018, 06:04 PM   #18

LOVE NOLA, WE SPEND A WEEK OR MORE each time. Love the Garden district, zoo etc. Do do the Buddha bars!! Don't do the tourist stuff (o briens etc) A absolute must for dinner, G W FINNS and their sizzling oysters. Omg as soon as we pull into town we reserve dinner there. The aquarium is great, and you must do at least one hand grenade bar. Darn made me mis NOLA gotta go again in December.
Susanmcnabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:52 PM   #19

One day is not enough, from what I understand 1 day is not enough for the WWII museum. As has been said Bourbon Street, Pat O'Briens, City Grocery for muffeletta, Cafe DuMonde for beignets. One thing I haven't heard is a Po'Boy and red beans and rice from Mother's and oysters from Felix's or Acme, bread pudding and seafood gumbo almost anywhere. I have to quit I am getting hungry and scheduling our trip to NOLA!! Good Luck! and Enjoy!

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:25 PM   #20

Great advice from all. Commodore's Palace for dinner is something you will never forget.

Pat O'Brian's piano bar is great fun. Try to think of a song the players don't know and you will get a free round of drinks. I used to do it all the time. Sometimes I even made up my own songs. They hate me there!!
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote