Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2018, 09:02 PM   #1

Orlando to Pigeon Forge and area

Hello, any suggestions for the route from Orlando to Pigeon Forge area. We were thinking about taking I-75/I40 but is I-95 the better route? We will be towing a travel trailer. Thanks!! Appreciate any help!!
fortwilderness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:44 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwilderness View Post
Hello, any suggestions for the route from Orlando to Pigeon Forge area. We were thinking about taking I-75/I40 but is I-95 the better route? We will be towing a travel trailer. Thanks!! Appreciate any help!!
I prefer the 40/75 route, that's the way we have gone since 2014 when heading to the Fort and back home.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:03 PM   #3

Definitely I-75 up to Tennessee, then I-40 to Knoxville. We have traveled that route since 1980.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:27 PM   #4

Why not I-95 to I-26 to I-40?
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwilderness View Post

What campground do you plan on staying at in Pigeon Forge
Old 05-07-2018, 08:43 PM   #6

Thanks everyone!

We are planning on staying at the pine mountain rv park. There are so many to choose from, any suggestions or opinions on campgrounds there?
Old 05-07-2018, 08:56 PM   #7

We have stayed at Pine Mountain and it’s nice, all concrete sites, really nice. The Funtime trolley makes a stop there
Old 05-07-2018, 09:01 PM   #8

Clabough's Campground is a nice place to stay.
NE Louisiana
2017-32 days camping in a Starcraft popup
2018 4 days camped (popup), 4 days (new tt) 11 days reserved.
Jimmie824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:07 PM   #9

Let me know if you are going I-40. If going I-40 I know a shortcut to help you get to Pine Mountain campground without going through a lot of stoplights and a whole lot of traffic. There is shortcuts
Old 05-08-2018, 02:12 PM   #10
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Why not I-95 to I-26 to I-40?
I-95/26/40 actually knocks about 30-35 miles off of the trip. It introduces a pretty good climb into Ashville and the drive through the Little Pigeon River Gorge (which I love) and its mountains, but it has the distinct advantage of avoiding the Atlanta area and its traffic.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:13 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to BGinVA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingGator View Post
Definitely I-75 up to Tennessee, then I-40 to Knoxville. We have traveled that route since 1980.
Totally agree with this route. Done it several times. ATL will be only issue. I have driven straight through downtown ATL when traffic light, otherwise beltway to west. Its a timing thing. Do not hit ATL at rush hour. Leaving Orlando you have 3 lanes of interstate all the way up except for 75 miles or so in TN between Ooltewah and the I-75/I-40 interchange.

The road to avoid in my opinion, is I-40 between Asheville and Knoxville. If you come up via I-95 you will be on this section of I-40 to get to Pigeon Forge. As it goes through the Smokies, it is a very twisty road, lots of very tight turns, limited sight distances, and if it starts raining, gets dangerous. Not fun at all.
BGinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:04 PM   #12

If you are not planning on making the entire trip in one day, plan your trip around Atlanta to take place either very early in the AM - before 6 AM or very late - after 7 or 8 PM or on a Sunday morning and you will be fine. You do not want to do anything on a Friday afternoon and you do not want to be trying to get into Atlanta on Sunday afternoon. I live south of Ocala and worked in Atlanta for years - also lived in Atlanta for over 30 years before moving to our retirement home in FL - I just kept working well beyond retirement but my DW enjoyed FL all that time. Finally called it quits 2 years ago. Just an FYI - I used to leave work in north Atlanta on Friday to come home . It took me over 2 hours to get to the south side of Atlanta. Brutal traffic and it makes no difference how you do it.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:29 PM   #13

Many Thanks for all the help and suggestions,,

Spock123 can you share the helpful hint to get through I-40 to pine path rv park?
Old 05-09-2018, 07:29 AM   #14

I have looked for the exit number but from I-40 West take highway 25West to 411. The roads that get off I-40 will be 25West, Tennessee 9, 70, anyway they are all west. What you will do is come back under I-40. Go to 411, do not turn at the first 411, that will be old 411. Just a little ways you will come to the new 411, it’s four lane. If you turn at the first 411 don’t worry it will come back out to the new 411 eventually, its just more crooked. Anyway stay on 411, it’s a little crooked but not to worry a lot of commercial trucks take this road. You will pass by Bush Baked Beans, if you have time you can stop. Stay on 411 and you will come in on the back side of Sevierville, the road becomes four lane. Start looking for Veterans Blvd on your left, if you miss the turn take the next left and you will come to Veterans Blvd again. Stay on Veterans Blvd, you will pass a KOA on your right, once you pass the KOA get in the right lane. When you get to the stoplight at 441 turn right. Once you turn right get in the left lane and start looking for Pine Mountain Rd, turn left on Pine Mountain Rd. The campground will be on your left less than a mile, it’s not far. I take Veterans Blvd a lot to get around all that traffic. Be sure to check out Old Mill Restaurant for breakfast also the Apple Barn for hot apple dumplings with ice cream and hot apple cider, sometimes the line is long. The Apple Barn has a lot of shops plus great restaurants. DW like to look there. If I can be any more help just pm me
Old 05-09-2018, 07:42 AM   #15

if you are 'familiar' with Orlando traffic, you'll have no issues using the same thought when passing directly thru Atlanta on I75... use the HOV lane all the way thru.

but, if you prefer I95, you'll also enjoy the 'mountainous' version of the drive past Asheville and into the smokies... I40 is a twisty, turny, steep interstate, maybe the most in the US at this spot... there are special right lanes for 'semi's only'...

If you'd like an even more 'adventurous' route, take off from I75 N of Atlanta to I575 to the N Georgia mountains(all four lane), turning left in Blairsville to Murphy NC and north on US19 thru the rafting center of the US, the Nantahala river gorge, to the start of the Smokies in Cherokee NC, where you will go 'over' the smokies on gorgeous mountain passes, and a tunnel, into Gatlinburg TN, right down the road from the Pigeon!

enjoy!
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:33 AM   #16

If you take I-26 to I-40 you miss Black Mountain and from where I-26 crosses I-40 it’s not steep at all then. I run 55 or better thru the Gorge. I have been on worst roads. I have run the Gorge a lot, pulling a RV and a semi. Running 441 from Cherokee to Gatlinburg is a curvy road and lots of traffic. I have never pulled a camper on that road. But it’s what you like. If you are staying in Pigeon Forge and coming from Asheville it’s sometimes easier to run I-40 thu the mountains and 411 to Veterans Blvd. To get around traffic I run Veterans Blvd and Old Newport Highway. Traffic is bad in the Pigeon Forge area all the time