Old 11-13-2015, 09:06 PM   #11

an option for you...
drive 3 more hours past Lookout Mtn, to just north of the I-475/I-75 split between Forsyth and Macon, GA... there is an interstate rest area there that features a travel trailer only loop that gets you away from the truck parking lot... you can pull in for the night after navigating thru Atlanta after rush hour in the evening... well-lit and picnic tables and dog walking within feet of the TT only parking area... I have never seen it fill up in four years of using it. Works well for the night. I always stop at Suwanee Music Park on the way down also, and from Macon it is not a very long drive.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4
rsdata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:14 PM   #12

Are you going to need a campground around Johnson City?

If so, http://http://www.lakeviewrvpark.com/ is a great place for a few days.

merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:07 AM   #13

If I were your Sis, and you hadn't asked to take her and her family with you, I would surely tell you where to put your tomato and pepper plants.......lol
CWElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 09:01 AM   #14

SNOWBIRDS !!!
A real Michigander would stay here & help me shovel snow !!!
LOL !!! Have a great trip !!! Would love to visit the SW some winter !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Vaughn View Post
Last summer we were gone 120 days and never made the first reservation. I do not like to be locked in to a tight schedule. I have made reservations and then got there only to find the place was a dump. I do not like loosing a nights deposit. I like the freedom to stay one night or multiple nights....foot loose and fancy free...we do call ahead on the day of travel to make sure we can get into a park.....

That's the way we are, we only make the reservations that we have to make and very few of them. Next year on our trip to Alaska we will make no reservations but for one night ahead

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:20 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
That's the way we are, we only make the reservations that we have to make and very few of them. Next year on our trip to Alaska we will make no reservations but for one night ahead

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Op has made reservation in the Keys. That is the ONLY way he will get to be there for those dates. Very smart choice.

Now on the trip down and north of Florida the reservations might not be as important.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:44 PM   #17

You'll love Jolly Roger! Great people down there, owners and other campers. And now they have a pool too!

I second Sombrero, but also check out Coco Plum, which is pretty close to Jolly Roger. Great place to relax and watch the pups play in the water.

Don, Kim, Donny Jr., Sarge, Ginger & Buddy ~ Pittsburgh, PA
Sharps45120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:36 PM   #18

Time to arrive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
an option for you...
drive 3 more hours past Lookout Mtn, to just north of the I-475/I-75 split between Forsyth and Macon, GA... there is an interstate rest area there that features a travel trailer only loop that gets you away from the truck parking lot... you can pull in for the night after navigating thru Atlanta after rush hour in the evening... well-lit and picnic tables and dog walking within feet of the TT only parking area....
About how long from Northern Ky with your trailer. I'm interested in an overnight stop there in January.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:50 PM   #19

you can use google maps to estimate times...

I just mapped Louisville to Forsyth, GA and found 480 miles via I-65 to I-24 to I-75 7 hours 12 min, straight thru driving at freeway speeds.

Mid-Oct I took my trailer from just south of Cincinnati, to Lexington, to Bluegrass Parkway (just outside of Versailles, KY) to Elizabethtown, KY and I-65 south to I-24 to I-75. I left at 9 AM, and with driving at 62-65 MPH and stopping every 2-3 hours for gas and breaks, I hit Atlanta just about 7 PM. Traffic was not objectionable at that time but still heavy. The rest area I am talking about is just about an hour further from downtown Atlanta... again, after Forsyth, GA exit, but before the I-475 split from I-75 to Macon, GA.

I take this longer route (via Nashville) to avoid the hills on I-75 at the KY/TN border... takes me about 100 minutes longer this way but easier driving while pulling my trailer.
Hope this helps...

Picture taken from picnic table at rest area after our arrival.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	macon.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	94529  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4
rsdata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:55 AM   #20

Long route?

Wow! You must really hate the mountain at the border. We go to Pigeon Forge several times a year and run about the same speed, 62 seems fine. I don't mind the climb and my truck holds speed well unless I get caught behind an 18 wheeler.

My goal is to avoid Atlanta during rush hour and be off the road by 6PM, I hate driving at night. In order to reach these goals that would make our trip to FL about 2 and 1/2 days.

So......guess I have to alter my goals slightly, either 2 long days and one night on the road or 2 and 1/2 days and 2 nights on the road. Decisions, decisions.