Old 11-09-2015, 08:10 PM   #1

Our New Itinerary From MI to FL

Hello All,

Bethann (wife), Mayhem (cat), and Myself are leaving Dewitt, MI (near Lansing) on or around January 15 for sunny FL. Here's what we are planning but a lot depends on the weather.

Stop #1 - Add-More Campground (just N of Louisville)
Stop #2 - Lookout Mountain, Chattanooga West KOA, Trenton, GA ( just S of Chattanooga)
Stop #3 - Spirit Of The Suwannee Music Park, Live Oak, FL
Stop #4 - Dunedin Carefree RV Resort, Dunedin, FL

Probably stay at least 3 nights at Chattanooga and Suwannee.

Reservations:
  • 1/25 - 1/31: Dunedin Carefree
  • 2/1 - 2/14: Calusa, Key Largo
  • 2/15 - 3/15: Jolly Roger, Marathon
After Marathon we'll head north toward Jonhson City, TN to visit friends for a few days then head toward home.

Any inside tips and advise are welcome.

Thanks,
Bethann & Dennis

Old 11-10-2015, 05:04 PM   #2

Just one. Have fun sounds great !!

Old 11-12-2015, 12:19 PM   #3
Fulltime family RVer

Won't it still be cold "back home" in early April? Could you spend another couple of weeks in Florida and avoid more cold?
Old 11-12-2015, 03:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Won't it still be cold "back home" in early April? Could you spend another couple of weeks in Florida and avoid more cold?
We have to get back home to the greenhouse to get our tomato and pepper plants started. Maybe I can talk my sister into doing it this year.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:13 PM   #5
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverDennis View Post
We have to get back home to the greenhouse to get our tomato and pepper plants started. Maybe I can talk my sister into doing it this year.
Makes sense. I'm just cold adverse and given the option of avoiding it, I WOULD!
Old 11-13-2015, 01:34 PM   #6

Last summer we were gone 120 days and never made the first reservation. I do not like to be locked in to a tight schedule. I have made reservations and then got there only to find the place was a dump. I do not like loosing a nights deposit. I like the freedom to stay one night or multiple nights....foot loose and fancy free...we do call ahead on the day of travel to make sure we can get into a park.....
Old 11-13-2015, 01:43 PM   #7

just got back from 10 days in Marathon
absolutely loved that Key... lots to do and lots to see
go to Sombrero Beach off Sombrero Beach Blvd for a nice beach... some say the nicest beach in the keys
take an early boat ride to Pidgeon Key and take a picnic lunch and stay for up to 5 hours depending on the crowds... minimum trip is 2:15 hours...
ate at 8 different places and never got a bad meal anywhere...
your gonna love Marathon

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Vaughn View Post
Last summer we were gone 120 days and never made the first reservation. I do not like to be locked in to a tight schedule. I have made reservations and then got there only to find the place was a dump. I do not like loosing a nights deposit. I like the freedom to stay one night or multiple nights....foot loose and fancy free...we do call ahead on the day of travel to make sure we can get into a park.....
Anyone going to the keys in winter better have reservations. They made the right call on that. There are no bad places in the keys. I would rather sit in a dump in the keys than anywhere north of Florida in the winter. I live in Florida so I am very spoiled.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:25 PM   #9

Have a nice "Early Bird" dinner at the Key Colony Inn just north of Marathon. Call the restaurant to make reservations for the "early" dinner....
Old 11-13-2015, 09:24 PM   #10

FYI.....Don't know if you've stayed at the Lookout Mountain/Trenton KOA before or not but most of the campsites are on the side of a hill - hard to get level. I know you want to be on the interstate and headed towards FL but either Harrison Bay State Park (you can view the campsites on line) - suggest staying in the new "A" section - avoid "B" if possible as it is hilly and tight. No sewers but upgraded power and water and have free wi-fi. Another great park is Chester Frost Campground. You can't book this campground on line but it is really nice. Offers newly upgraded 30/50 amp service and water. No sewer or wi-fi but the location is right on the water and is a beautiful setting. Chester Frost does require wooden blocks under your jacks - if you don't have these, they usually have a stack by the ranger's office. They do not accept the plastic blocks like sold at Camping World. Both campgrounds are a little off the beaten path but are in a very nice setting.