Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2016, 07:28 AM   #41

There is a pork meat product in the South that is souse meat. The head, the feet, the jaws, the nose, the ears, boy is it good, put vinegar on the souse,WOW. Good, good!!! Probably not good for you

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:37 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
There is a pork meat product in the South that is souse meat. The head, the feet, the jaws, the nose, the ears, boy is it good, put vinegar on the souse,WOW. Good, good!!! Probably not good for you
That sounds worse than head cheese.

Bruce
Old 09-08-2016, 04:41 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
That sounds worse than head cheese.

Bruce

That's another word for it, it's great. I'm on a diet so can't have to much, pickled pig feet is good, fattening too

Old 09-08-2016, 05:52 PM   #44
Chief tinkerer

Gettysburg today. Very humbling experience. Right now, tipping back a pint of stout at Devine Swine. Excellent!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1473375092059.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	119756  

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:04 AM   #45

Glad you got to Devine Swine, great food!!!! How much longer will you be in Pa?
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:55 AM   #46

Well I made it to Flory's campground and now today first stop is Bird-in-hand bakery and then Kitchen Kettle for pickle beets and some other things. Lapp Valley diary we will hit today. Tonight it's Shady Maple for supper, about 5:00pm actually.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:47 AM   #47

I live about 2 miles away from Shady Maple and i can honestly say I've only been there a hand full of time. Food is good but pricey. Maybe i would go more often if i didn't live so close.

Now Lapp Valley on the other hand, we are only a mile from there and go almost weekly, my daughters love it every time we go.

Safe travels on you venture through Lancaster County, Fridays are pretty crazy around here.

Camped
2016 - 21 nights
2017 - 42 + scheduled....
Life is great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 02:12 PM   #48
Chief tinkerer

Dblr, we have to leave Saturday, headed back South, maybe stop in or near Myrtle Beach somewhere on the coast before heading back to Georgia.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Old 09-09-2016, 03:15 PM   #49
Chief tinkerer

Looks like we are dining at Shady Maple tonight.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Old 09-09-2016, 05:06 PM   #50

Gidyupgo,

Leaving's always the hard part, but it sounds like you made the most of your visit. Don't know what your toad is, but if you're eating at Shady Maple tonight I hope it has a heavy duty suspension... you'll need that on the way back to the campground.

Come back again next year - still lots more to see. Glad you made it to Gettysburg... as you said, a very humbling (and sobering) place to visit. Definitely hallowed ground there. We camped at Artillery Ridge two years ago and took a horseback tour of the battlefield. Very moving way to see the battleground. I had studied the battle in the past, but needed a refresher course. Visited the diorama one day to get the 20,000 foot overview, then mounted up the next day and toured it at "grunt level." A memorable trip.

2016 Coachmen Pursuit 31BD
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Toad
Nights camped in 2019: 76
pashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:39 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Why did you think this?

Bruce

I have asked around and I can find no dairy here that sells raw milk. If you know a dairy that does then let me know, I would like two gallons. I think Pennsylvania prohibits the selling of raw milk. I know North Carolina does, if you own a cow you can not even give the milk away. I like raw milk to drink and make butter from

Old 09-09-2016, 07:19 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidyupgo View Post
Rockford roo, I saw scrapple in the case but didn't feel adventurous enough to try. We are at Hershey World today and I am throwing caution to the wind and trying many different combinations of chocolate!
Well if you are going to try scrapple. Try Delaware scrapple, huge difference! After all we celebrate scrapple with a festival. Even the t.v. show "Dirty Jobs" with Mike Rowe did an episode at one facility. Sorry if I'm stepping on any PA toes, but I have not found a good PA scrapple. My father lived in the area for years, searching for good scrapple with no success!

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:41 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhduh camping View Post
Well if you are going to try scrapple. Try Delaware scrapple, huge difference! After all we celebrate scrapple with a festival. Even the t.v. show "Dirty Jobs" with Mike Rowe did an episode at one facility. Sorry if I'm stepping on any PA toes, but I have not found a good PA scrapple. My father lived in the area for years, searching for good scrapple with no success!
I always thought "Good Scrapple" was an oxymoron!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:10 PM   #54

Scrapple?? My grandmother made the best scrapple in the world from left-over ingredients that she would freeze, then mix together when thawed just in time for the beginning of football season. She must have figured that I needed to put on some weight before going out to play!! Her family used to own Medford Meats based in New Jersey, and I can remember seeing dozens of Medford products in our freezer locker back in the days before most families had their own freezers - uh - more than 70 years ago!!
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:39 PM   #55
Chief tinkerer

Shady Maple truly was a great last night in Pa for us

Spock and shooter were right. This place is something else. Really enjoyed the quality and variety. Too often, when you have this much food, it lacks quality. Shady Maple has it figured out though. I really enjoyed the sausage and kielbasa, which is "all you can eat", so I did..... and am regretting it now. I only had two deserts though..... Looking for the plop, plop, fizz fizz to kick in... .

Thanks to all who told us where to go and what to see. You really made this memorable for us. Yes, we will be coming back.

See ya on the road!

Gary and Michelle

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Old 09-09-2016, 09:09 PM   #56

Shady Maple is one of those places where one has to fast for at least three days before going there!! So glad you enjoyed it. My younger brother lives nearby, and we both agree that Brunch is the best bet, so that we can eat our fill, then relax in front of the TV for NFL Game Watching!!
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 05:21 AM   #57

Quote:
Dblr, we have to leave Saturday, headed back South, maybe stop in or near Myrtle Beach somewhere on the coast before heading back to Georgia.
Ok, I don't hit that area until Monday, have a safe trip home and come back soon. Plenty of new places to see next time, oh and a hint for Shady Maple next time wear pants with elastic waistband makes the trip back to the rv a little easier
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 05:26 AM   #58
Toy-aholic

Quote:
Spock and shooter were right. This place is something else. Really enjoyed the quality and variety. Too often, when you have this much food, it lacks quality. Shady Maple has it figured out though. I really enjoyed the sausage and kielbasa, which is "all you can eat", so I did..... and am regretting it now. I only had two deserts though..... Looking for the plop, plop, fizz fizz to kick in... .

Thanks to all who told us where to go and what to see. You really made this memorable for us. Yes, we will be coming back.

See ya on the road!

Gary and Michelle
I hope you ventured downstairs to the gift shop! That's where we always go to walk off our gluttony
Old 09-10-2016, 06:58 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I have asked around and I can find no dairy here that sells raw milk. If you know a dairy that does then let me know, I would like two gallons. I think Pennsylvania prohibits the selling of raw milk. I know North Carolina does, if you own a cow you can not even give the milk away. I like raw milk to drink and make butter from
Spock, it is legal to sell raw milk in PA. Are you still at Flory's? If so, you're not too far from where I get mine. It's not a dairy, rather, a small "Amish" store on a farm. They have a few grass-fed Jersey cows and milk them twice a day. Since the milk from their cows is sold on their property, they are allowed to sell it raw. From where you are, it would take about ten minutes to get there, depending how slowly people are driving on Route 340 between Bird-In-Hand and Intercourse. If you are interested in knowing where this store is, let me know and I will send you a PM with their information and directions.

Actually, Gidyupgo stumbled upon this store while on his way to the hardware store I told him about.

Bruce
Old 09-10-2016, 07:34 AM   #60

We ate way too much. I went to Shady Maple one year on my birthday and I got a free meal, that was hard to believe. It's a little high but you don't pay for your drink and no tipping. Did I say we ate to much

Tags
pennsylvania