Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2014, 07:10 PM   #1

Pigeon Forge and Kentucky

Planning next years trip already. Looking to go to Pigeon Forge area, Stop by Natural Bridges in VA, on the way, Nashville (like country music)and possible return via Kentucky/ West Virgina.

I am looking for recommendations of campgrounds, and things to do in the those areas.

Also looking for things to do/see in Kentucky.

I have been doing research via the internet and getting tourist info, but I feel info from those that have been there is the best.

Looking to go towards the end of August, from what I understand it is less cowded, Kids down thier are back in school.

Any info would be great. Also to help, I am with two boys 9 and 13 Yo, so my activities will be centered around them. My wife and I are just the transporters... LOL

Any info would be great. Thanks in advance...
2016 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max (sold)
Jjsav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjsav View Post
Planning next years trip already. Looking to go to Pigeon Forge area, Stop by Natural Bridges in VA, on the way, Nashville (like country music)and possible return via Kentucky/ West Virgina.

I am looking for recommendations of campgrounds, and things to do in the those areas.

Also looking for things to do/see in Kentucky.

I have been doing research via the internet and getting tourist info, but I feel info from those that have been there is the best.

Looking to go towards the end of August, from what I understand it is less cowded, Kids down thier are back in school.

Any info would be great. Also to help, I am with two boys 9 and 13 Yo, so my activities will be centered around them. My wife and I are just the transporters... LOL

Any info would be great. Thanks in advance...
One of our favorite campgrounds in Nashville is Two Rivers campground on Music Valley Drive. A good Sam park, 1/2 mile from the Grand Old Opry (the new venue, not Ryman Auditorium0. The General Jackson excursion boat on the river right there at Opryland Hotel / Opryland Mall would be a good adventure for your kids.

Also, General Jackson's home, The Hermitage, is a worthwhile stop. You'll like it, the kids may find parts of it interesting.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:28 PM   #3

#1 - and this is JMHO, don't stay in Pigeon Forge - Stay in Townsend you are still 20-ish min from all the action in Dollywood, et al but you are two-million miles away from all the hectic crowded craziness. Wake up in the morning to a whip-o-rill and the sound of trout feeding on the surface of the river instead of cars, trucks, and late night party animals swearing off drink for the tenth time

Tubing down the river in Townsend will be the highlight of the boys trip - I know our kids loved this!! (you go down the river in a tube, they pick you up, rinse repeat all day for @ $25/head)

White Water Rafting - a GOTTA DO - the boys will love it. Our kids enjoyed the Dollywood Water Park more than Dollywood but we have mutant seals for kids )or DID - they are 22 & 18 now )

Gatlinburg is fun, the themed dinner shows are good entertainment.

#2 KY...LOTS to see: The Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, Mammouth Cave (Take the historical tour and unless you are 300+ lbs or in a walker do not let them frighten you off from it being too physical - it is NOT!) The boys will LOVE it. They have other cave tours specifically tailored for kids as well.

With boys that age they will KILL you if you do not take them to the Dinosaurs (don't worry, you CAN'T miss the Dinosaurs LOL).

Fort Knox is up the road and the Patton Museum is neat with tanks and all. Of course you can see Ft Knox gold depository (from a distance )

Abraham Lincoln's boyhood cabin is preserved and you can visit that as well. There is a large Amish community in upper KY so you can go shop there and get some amazing fresh produce, meats, cheeses, jams and honey!

If you are so inclined, and the boys like Baseball, Louisville is home to the Louisville Slugger factory. You can tour the factory and watch them make bats - and not just production bats but custom bats for the major League Ball Players! You can also have a souvenir bat made with their name engraved and burned on the bat (as I recall the price was not unreasonable).

Of course in Louisville you have Churchill downs race trace, and the chance to take a paddlewheel boat ride on the Ohio River

In KY, I would stay at Singing Hills CG in Cave City KY. It is a Passport America CG and the owners are as nice as can be, sell firewood without scalping you & propane is dirt cheap as well. They have a catch and release pond that is private so you do not need a KY fishing license!

Believe i or not, you could base from Singing Hills and do all this - Bowling Green is @ 30-45 min South and Louisville is @ 1 hour North - well worth it for the quiet peaceful CG at Singing Hills...

If you decide to relocate to see all the sights around Louisville, HIGHLY recommend Glendale Campground. Right off I65 in Elizabethtown - which will put you 25-ish min from the Patton museum, Ft Knox & Louisville ( it is about 35-ish min North of Singing Hills
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:44 PM   #4

Anchor Down RV Resort in Dandrige TN, also about 15 minutes for Pigeon Forge but also a world away.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:57 PM   #5

Just got back from Escapees, 908 raccoon valley road, heiskell, Tn.....they are north of knoxville, Tn. Exit 117 off I-75, Seviersville, Tn is 33 miles away, I think Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge is 40 miles....14 miles away is the Norris Dam State Park...great hiking trails.......nice location to set up base to go see things. Lots of things to do in that area, campground is easy in and out....We just got up early and beat traffic into areas we wanted to go....

Like mentioned earlier lots of things in Kentucky, Cave city has several caves worth visiting...Mammoth Cave is worth the trip....I think cave country campground is another good one to stay at in cave city.

Louisville Kentucky has underground zipline...killer ride....

endless the options...

Outlawadventurer
2010 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually 6.7L
2014 Cedar Creek Silverback 35QB4
OutlawAdventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:28 PM   #6

We were in Townsend last month. We liked it, but next time we will stay in Cade's Cove. Part of the Smokey Mountain National Park. We took a tour of the Cove one morning and saw several black bears.

The state capital in Frankfort is worth a stop and also the state museum. However it's the only state capital we've been to that did not give guided tours. The tours are self conducted.

The capital of also very impresssive in West Virginia. We were impressed by its beauty.

Ther is a lot to see, but don't try to see it all take your time and enjoy. Whatever you miss will be there for you next time.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:30 PM   #7

Pigeon Forge

Natural Bridge is about 45 minutes from me here in Roanoke, VA.
There is a KOA right off the interstate 81 and near Natural Bridge
Natural Bridge / Lexington KOA | Camping in Virginia | KOA Campgrounds

The Natural Bridge is pretty cool. You can see George Washington's initials carved under the bridge. He helped survey a pretty good chunk of the Shenandoah Valley. New Market battlefield is not too far North of Natural Bridge. They have a cool museum the boys would like.

There is a KOA in Pigeon Forge we have stayed at. You can walk from there to the Pigeon Forge Trolley station and let them do the driving around. They have a route that will take you into Gatlinburg as well. Take a roll of quarters or get the all day wrist band (they did not have that my last visit).
Home

From Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg you are just a short drive from the Great Smokey Mountain National Park and all that it offers.

Hope this helps some.

Chris in Roanoke, VA

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:04 PM   #8

Sounds like a good trip! For the boys I recommend Pine Mtn RV Resort in Pigeon Forge. Just over the hill from the main "vegas like" strip of Pigeon Forge. It's glitzy but family friendly. The campground in quiet, clean and flat with paved sites that back up to creek. It's a short trip in to Gatlinburg and the Great Smokey Mountains. Anchor Down RV resort is 16m to the north but very new and a top notch park. I second the recommendation for Mammoth Cave just north of Nashville/Bowling Green KY. Just returned from my Labor Day weekend trip. I stay at the Jellystone/Cave City. Our group had kids age 12,12, 12, 12, 11. They stayed very busy with the two pools, alpine slide, jumping pillow, fishing pond, putt putt...never a dull moment. Head to Lexington, Ky form there, my home town. Stay at the Ky Horse park just outside of Lex near the I75-I64 split. Always something going on horse related at the park and you can ride you bike into the park and view any shows/competitions in progress. They East on I64 toward WVA. Enjoy planning your trip...it's part of the fun
Airlift system/on board compressor

speedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:56 PM   #9
Just Love to Camp

I live about 45 minutes from natural bridge va and I would recommend the jelly stone over the KOA. We hit this campground about twice a year. We won't go back to the KOA. It was mostly on a hill tons of stuff for the kids to do at the jelly stone

2012 F450
Virginia
TheFordes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:10 AM   #10

If your into Apps on your tablet or phone ihave a Travel Kentucky app that gives a lot of great information.
SweetT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
Anchor Down RV Resort in Dandrige TN, also about 15 minutes for Pigeon Forge but also a world away.
That place looks awesome.... I was checking it out a few weeks ago and was impressed!

2013 GMC Savana 2500 FBI Edition
2015 Rockwood 8327SS stuffed with 5 kids!

SE Michigan
Nights camped 2014: 48
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:21 AM   #12

I want to thank everyone for the info.... Please keep it coming..
2016 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max (sold)
Jjsav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:18 AM   #13

Agree with Speedcat, Pine Mountain in Pigeon Forge, nice new park near the action. So much to do for everyone in Pigeon Forge area. We love Camp Jellystone at Cave City, Mammoth Cave is awesome and something to do in any weather. The Kentucky Horse Park is beautiful and have activities geared for kids and wonderful walking/bike trail.
cwhitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #14

I will 2nd or 3rd Pine Mountain RV Park in Pigeon Forge. We DO like Elkmont in the GSMNP, but it is dry camping and we just don't do that anymore. We have 2 daughters, 7 and 10. When we went to see the fireflies (if you don't know about them, google them) at Elkmont, we stayed 3 days and they were miserable. It was HOT, HUMID and WET. It didn't rain, but with all the humidity, water was just dripping the entire time.

We decided that the next time we go, which will be soon, we will get a site in Elkmont and put a tent there with a couple of chairs, but our RV will be sitting in PF hooked up to power and with the AC running.

Anyway, Pine Mtn is our favorite among the several dozen campgrounds we have tried in the area. Yes, Townsend, Cosby, Wallen and some of the other places are much quieter and 30 minutes out, but with kids, they want to be in town where the action is. It is a quick drive (less than 10 minutes) from Pine Mtn to the Sugarland welcome center and the entrance to GSMNP. Pine Mtn is also located on the "lower" end of PF, so you don't have to get in all the outlet traffic, but are right at the "kids" places, go karts, swings, etc. Pine Mtn has no playground, but they do have a pool and you have access to the hotel across the 2-lane road that has a lazy river pool, indoor pool and hot tub for those late night soaks.

We loved the Luray Jellystone when we stayed there a couple of years ago. I would recommend it if you have kids, but they enjoyed the campground so much, we never made it to the caverns.

You also might want to look at Natural Bridge SP in Kentucky, about 45 minutes SE of Lexington on the Mountain Parkway.

Also, the Ky Horse Park outside of Lexington is fabulous, but it has no sewer connections. If you are only going to be there a few days, it's well worth the trip and my kids LOVED seeing the horses and getting up close. There are numerous things to do in/around Lexington, which is about a 3 1/2 hr drive from the PF area.

If you do decide to go to Pine Mtn, PM me for some directions to avoid all the traffic on the bypass (Rt 66)
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote