Old 01-03-2018, 02:36 PM   #1

Pigeon Forge / Gatlinburg - Spring Break

Howdy,

We're looking at going to Pigeon Forge and surrounding area over my son's spring break. Basically it's the warmest we can get within a reasonable (11-ish hours, we'll have a 6 mo. with us) drive.

Pre-camper we stayed in a cabin in the area, so we're mostly familiar with the attractions. I believe all these are ok, post-fire. Interestingly, the cabin we stayed at is GONE (which is crazy).

Anyway, we're mostly interested in if it's "worth it" to go, after the fire. We hope to go on a few of the drives (names fail me right now) as well as some of the major attractions (aquarium, dollywood, the water park).

So, is it still "worth it" to go?
Campground suggestions (this is a big one, too) for the last week of March?
Other suggestions/must-do items?

Old 01-03-2018, 02:55 PM   #2
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
Howdy,

We're looking at going to Pigeon Forge and surrounding area over my son's spring break. Basically it's the warmest we can get within a reasonable (11-ish hours, we'll have a 6 mo. with us) drive.

Pre-camper we stayed in a cabin in the area, so we're mostly familiar with the attractions. I believe all these are ok, post-fire. Interestingly, the cabin we stayed at is GONE (which is crazy).

Anyway, we're mostly interested in if it's "worth it" to go, after the fire. We hope to go on a few of the drives (names fail me right now) as well as some of the major attractions (aquarium, dollywood, the water park).

We were there in Nov and a lot has been done to repair fire damage. I see no problem with going as main attractions suffered no damage. Later RJD

2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped 2017 62
Days camped 2018 13
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
Howdy,

We were there this past August... not all that many signs of the fires unless you really were looking for them... few spots on the mountains with just fireplace/foundations.... some signs of the fire along the auto trail right outside of town... burn lines visible on the bypass, but they were starting to green up already when we were there....

2014 Rockwood Ultralight 8312SS Diamond Edition
2016 F350 Lariat Ultimate Super Duty Crew Cab 4X4
Northern NJ - God Bless America!
dieselbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:14 PM   #4
Retired and Loving Life!

Send a message via MSN to Alan F
We were there in September and camped at:
Riveredge RV Park & Log Cabin Rentals
4220 Huskey St.
Pigeon Forge, TN
37863-3619
(865) 453-5813

Nice place, convenient location in Pigeon Forge. We have friends who were there for Christmas, so it should be open in March when you are going. We didn’t see much evidence of the fire, only what we saw from the lift chairs. Enjoyed “The Island” which has several stores. We also did the Ferris wheel. When in the area, Check our the Bush Bean Museum in Chestnut Hill, Tenn. 19 miles from Pigeon Forge. Have fun!
Old 01-03-2018, 06:21 PM   #5

We go every year, first week of May. Last year they were still rebuilding the chair lifts and Ober Gatlinurg was still closed but both have since been opened. Cades Cove was not affected and very little signs of damage heading to Clingmans Dome.

We stay at a local hotel, don't admonish me for this, as we are always on the go so I can't recommend a camp ground. Go have fun and talk to the locals. Many were affected by the fires and it seemed therapeutic for them to talk about it and support them.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:08 AM   #6

We also stayed at River Edge. Its right at the end of Pigeon Forge. Kinda tight but it is right on both trolley systems if you don't have a toad. We were there first of October and didn't have problems with anything being closed.

I'd also recommend stopping at Sweetwater for a night and seeing the Lost Sea cave. We spent the night at the KOA there, went to the Lost Sea the next day and had an enjoyable drive on the back roads to Pigeon Forge from there. Mayfield dairy is also in that area.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:41 AM   #7

Only been there once but we will be staying at Up The Creek again. We had a huge, almost private site that backed up to the little creek. They also (as many I image) have a trolly stop to take you into town.

Jason and Billie
2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 4X4, QC/SB 5.9L Cummins
15k non-sliding Hidden Hitch (they lied, it's not hidden at all)
2011 Prime Time Crusader 320RLT
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:10 PM   #8
RV Buff

Forget the fire. We were there last Sept. and we had to ask where the fire had been. The towns and Dollywood are just fine. FYI, we stayed at the Pigeon Forge KOA, which is right next to Patriots Park, with convenient trolley service to almost everywhere.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:31 PM   #9

Duvall

Try Duvall campground. It is at the end of veterans drive in Sevierville to the left about 1 1/2 miles to right on left. New but very reasonable and nice. Tell them Sandy and Steve Suggs sent you and that we will see them in Oct if not before.

As far as fire damage, in October we saw very little around Cade’s Cove and on the way there from Gatlinburg. My understanding, other than around Ober Gatlinburg it was mostly smoke damage downtown Gatlinberg.

Enjoy yourself while you are there. We always do
2003 Ford F-250 super duty diesel
Vinemont, AL
Triple SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:32 PM   #10

Agree on the with others, the Fire did not affect much of the commercial tourism property and work is on going cleaning up what did burn. We were there before the fire and stayed at imagination mountain in Cosby. Biggest draw for us is that it was on the quiet side of town. Property was at the foothills of the national park and we had a stream behind our campsite. Would stay there again, very good spot if you have little kids.

Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote