Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #21
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
There is only a dune separating many campsites from the ocean.
Not the ocean, Hampton Roads. But with kids this is better, no dangerous surf. Everything else mtnguy says is spot on. The park is very popular so reservations can be difficult to get,
Kiptopeake S.P. on Va.'s Eastern Shore has a beach on the Chesapeake Bay. Great bike riding.

Wright
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post
Not the ocean, Hampton Roads. But with kids this is better, no dangerous surf. Everything else mtnguy says is spot on. The park is very popular so reservations can be difficult to get,
Kiptopeake S.P. on Va.'s Eastern Shore has a beach on the Chesapeake Bay. Great bike riding.

Wright
So right, I posted ocean when actually it is the Chesapeake Bay.......my bad.

As Wright indicated, you still get wave action, but not like the big waves with beaches that are on the ocean. Much safer for kids.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbt803 View Post
I have never been to Myrtle Beach and look forward to going to Lakewood CG this year.
There are a number of mega-campgrounds like Lakewood at Myrtle Beach. I stayed there once, as well as once at Ocean Lakes and many times at (our favorite) Myrtle Beach Travel Park. We only go to Myrtle Beach in the winter to avoid the crowds. There were no problems during my only stay at Lakewood, but they made it clear that I was not to enjoy a quiet drink at my campsite - or even inside the camper. A little bit too oppressive for me, but there are many people who obviously love it.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #24
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpey31 View Post
How strict is Lakewood with the no alcohol policy? I already booked there and then read that they do not allow alcohol in the resort, considering canceling there and booking Pirate Land
I really didn't notice anyone going around looking for any alcohol. I saw a few here and there. I guess it depends on the neighbors you might have. Inside your RV is your place in my opinion.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #25

I cancelled the stay at Lakewood. It's not worth the aggravation; we are now going to Pirate Land where you can drunk out if a cuzy no problem. I would just rather not have to worry about it. I am an adult if I want to drink I should be allowed. I'm taking my kids and wife not having a spring break party. Thanks everyone for there input and suggestion. I have credit to this forum when asked how I found out about Pirate Land
Old 03-12-2013, 11:13 PM   #26

Sharply, a good site to research campgrounds is all stays ... Campgrounds for Camping RV Parks, State Parks USA
If you have an iPad you can download an app. $10 I think but we'll worth it. You can also just go to the link above for free. You can search an area and see pretty much all the campgrounds both private and state, federal. You can link to the web site for the campground or to reviews for the campsite. I use the app on my ipad to see what is in the way while traveling or what is around where I am going. With the iPad I can Use the hybrid mode and see satellite view along with map view. It always helps to see how the campground is lyed out and what is close. You may already use this, if not, check it out. Have fun..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:18 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Sharply, a good site to research campgrounds is all stays ... Campgrounds for Camping RV Parks, State Parks USA
If you have an iPad you can download an app. $10 I think but we'll worth it. You can also just go to the link above for free. You can search an area and see pretty much all the campgrounds both private and state, federal. You can link to the web site for the campground or to reviews for the campsite. I use the app on my ipad to see what is in the way while traveling or what is around where I am going. With the iPad I can Use the hybrid mode and see satellite view along with map view. It always helps to see how the campground is lyed out and what is close. You may already use this, if not, check it out. Have fun..
Thanks I have seen that app but was not sure if it was worth it. I'll take a look thanks for the info
Old 03-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #28

We live on MD's Eastern Shore, thus most of our camping is either on the Chesapeake, or the Atlantic beaches. Tall Pines Harbor just over on the northern reach of VA's Eastern Shore is one of our favorites. Beautiful sites, many right on the CHesapeake. THere is an awesome safe beach for kids and animals. We stay at Castaways (another favorite) you can be right on the ocean. Frontier Town and Island resort are near and good too. Island Resort is 15 minutes outside OC, has Kayak access to the ocean, and is on a huge old sand quarry lake with great fishing. Frontier Town has old west shows and is a blast for kids and parents alike, plus a nice waterpark to boot. Again right on the ocean as well. Cherrystone on VA's Eastern shore is a place many of our friends have been and they loved it, near Chincoteague Island. We are going next weekend to Bayshore campground in Rock Hall, MD just north of Kent Island. It is on the Chesapeake Bay and highly recommended. Trappe Pond in Delaware is nice as is the Yogi Bear Delaware beaches. It is just minutes from Rehobeth, but not ocean front in the campground. Holiday Travelers in VA beach was a blast I must say, and real close to the beach.

Husky 16K slider hitch.

New Trailer 2013 Wildcat 344QB Touring Edition with angled master bed.
Greenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:19 AM   #29

Just want to say do not overlook the Myrtle Beach state park.
http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/my...roduction.aspx

Never had any problem with drinking a little wine at campsite even though the rules state no alcohol. A nice campground with only a short walk to the beach. Bring your kite. two good playgrounds for the kids. Full service sites are limited but has dump area on site. Locals bring horses here to ride on the beach and the picnic areas are full on weekends.
It is the approach for the airport so planes fly low. Not enough to worry about

Buck Hall recreation area
http://www.reserveamerica.com/campgr...&parkCode=bhra

Another jewel of the south and not well known.
A small campground that emphasizes boat launch to the intercostal waterway. A well spaced small campground with paved sites. Not much here for the kids and just sit back and relax under the oaks and watch the boats on the intercostal, crabbing and fishing from the boardwalk. A good stopover point with some campsites reserved for first come first serve.

Check them out.

If in Charleston, recommend Oak Plantation. It is a good SAMs south of Charleston, we always stay here while visiting daughter and GK's. had a dog run and playground for kids. Has a pool. Well maintained campground.

While visiting Charleston check James Island County park campground
http://www.ccprc.com/index.aspx?NID=909

A nice campground and closer to Charleston.

These are my thoughts. Happy Travels to all.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote