Old 03-20-2015, 11:16 AM   #1

Planning a trip to the Outer Banks, N.C.

We are thinking about making a trip from home (Ohio) to the Outer Banks of N.C. sometime in early June. Will most likely stop in High Point N.C. for a couple days to visit friends on the way down. From there, on to the Islands.
We have never been to that area before. Looks like hwy. 12 enters at the North end. Access to/from the South end looks like Ferry Only. According to the web., there are 14 campgrounds on the islands. One of them is a KOA of which we have a membership card. KOAs are pricey even with the discounts. They have amenities that we normally don't need or want to pay for. Also have a Good Sam's Club membership. We plan on spending about 3 days.
Then we will travel to Goldsboro N.C. to visit family for a couple days. Then we will travel to southern South Carolina to check out a campground that we are considering for a winter retreat in Jan. & Feb. of 2016. From there, we'll head back home.
Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Grey;

Greyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:50 PM   #2
geezer with gadgets

Outer Banks are a beautiful place to visit. I guess where you camp in based on what you want to do when you are visiting. If having things for the kids to do, then KOA is probably going to work for you. Do you want to get away from civilization? Any of the National Park Campgrounds will work. If you have 4 wheel drive, then you will be able to drive on the southern beaches inside the National Seashore for a fee. Info about that is available here: Off-Road Vehicle Use - Cape Hatteras National Seashore (U.S. National Park Service)

Hope this gets you started. The campgrounds begin to fill up fast as the weather gets warmer. Happy camping!

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:05 PM   #3

Thank you for your reply.
It will be myself and my wife. We are retired and in our 60s. Using a pool isn't likely. We are more interested in seeing God's creation. It's just somewhere that we haven't seen.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:18 PM   #4
geezer with gadgets

Then you are in for a great time. Cape Hatteras National Seashore is really a beauty to behold. If you don't need full hookups (or hot showers) then the National Parks Service campgrounds are a good choice. We have always used Frisco Woods Campground in Frisco, NC. It is in the southern OBX. Full Hookups to tent sites, even camping cabins. Showers, pool, laundry. You can get a site right on the sound and watch some fantastic sunsets. If you don't want to drive on the beach, but want to experience it, then drive to see the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. Then drive on farther into the park until there is no more road. There will be a small parking lot there and you will be able to just walk out onto the beach and just take a deep breath of the smell of salt water and beautiful sandy beaches. If you want some good seafood then eat dinner at the Captains Table in Buxton. Price not too bad, but food is good and fresh. Breakfast at the Orange Blossom, also in Buxton and be sure to sample an apple ugly. You can take the car ferry south to Ocracoke Island and explore the village. You can even do some serious deep sea fishing if you are so inclined. We spend a lot of time in that area in the summer. We are in our 60s, too and don't care for the hustle and bustle of the Nags Head area, but do very much love all that nature provides in the southern OBX. If I can help further, just PM me.

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:25 PM   #5

Sounds like heading towards Hatteras will be the best choice for you...but there's nothing that says you can't enjoy both ends of the beach. It is only 70 miles from "civilization" to Cape Hatteras!
Take Route 64 east then right on 12 for the easiest route towards Hatteras.

Campgrounds/RV Parks - The Outer Banks - North Carolina Beach Camping - The Outer Banks - North Carolina
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:51 AM   #6

Thank you for all of the replies. If anyone has a favorite campground, feel free to let me know. My wife and I enjoy quiet, natural settings.
As time allows, I'll research my route and destination. Although it may vary, I believe having a trip plan is important. The plan is to set up camp and then take day trips to enjoy the sights.
We have a 2013 V-Cross Vibe 6501 behind a 2015 Nissan Frontier 4X4. We would like water, sewer & 30 amp. service.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:16 AM   #7

Camp Hatteras

...is down the island a bit but has nice sites on both the ocean and sound sides with full hookups on concrete pads. Its a bit pricey and a bit remote but we like it. Its in Waves, NC.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:04 PM   #8

Love the Outer Banks! We stayed at Ocean Waves for about a week, three years ago. A friendly family run campground and rates were reasonable. Would certainly return again.
Philip
Old 03-21-2015, 03:57 PM   #9

Stayed at Ocean Waves this past August. Next visit would be Cape Hatteras NP or better yet Ocracoke NP. National parks are both w/o hookups but literally right on the beach.

If you have 4x4...get on the beach... Drive to a nice open spot and enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4300.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	71847  

2014 Rockwood Ultralight 8312SS Diamond Edition
2016 F350 Lariat Ultimate Super Duty Crew Cab 4X4
Northern NJ - God Bless America!
dieselbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:33 PM   #10

We stay at Ocean waves campground when we go, which is about 4 to 5 times a year. Great campground with great prices, quiet and family run. If ocean waves is booked up try Camp Hatteras on the sound side or Frisco Woods both are very nice places. We love going to ONCE hope you do to.