Old 05-08-2015, 04:56 PM   #1

planning trip from SE Pa to Mammoth cave Ky

Trying to plan our 1st extended trip (month of June) from southeast PA to Mammoth cave in Ky. Normally stay at state parks (in PA) getting golden pass for national parks next week. any ideas of things to see and do on the way. Best route?. thinking of more direct route getting there and maybe loop to the east coming home. would like to stop in lake Norman area of NC to see a relative. We like parks with electric and showers but can boondock. we have a Honda eu2000i generator if needed and can fill water tank. Looking at maps gets overwhelming. (we want to see everything)

Old 05-08-2015, 08:21 PM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

There is a national park right at Mammoth Cave that is beautiful. We camped right down the street because I prefer full hookups, but the national forest park was really pretty.

If you haven't been to the Flight 93 Memorial in Western PA- it's a very somber and well done memorial. I'll have to look up where we stayed near there, but I doubt that it is up your alley (RV park and nothing special at that).

Old 05-12-2015, 08:54 AM   #3

From that direction, you'll be going past Lexington, either by I-64 or I-75 dropping down from Cincinnati. AVOID I-71 and Louisville. There are 2 Major Bridge projects going on there now, and it's a real cluster.
You can camp at the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington. It's were I-64 and I-75 meet. The campground is nice, and the Park is beautiful. From there you can take in two things KY is famous for....Horses and Bourbon. Several distilleries are close to here...Buffalo Trace, Woodford and Wild Turkey. The tours are interesting and ...free samples. Be sure to visit the "Old Friends" Horse Farm. It's a farm for retired race horses, many are past champions.
You'll want to take the BlueGrass Parkway to get to I-65 from Lexington. This will take you past Bardstown, KY. It makes every list of "Best Small Towns in America".
My Old Kentucky Home State Park is there and it has a campground as well. And the campground is adjacent to a golf course, if you like that. Visit My Old Kentucky Home, and take in the Stephen Foster Story outdoor musical show.
The Heaven Hill Distillery and Visitor's center is very close to the campground, and the Maker's Mark Distillery is just a short drive from there.
You'll also find lots of Abe Lincoln historical sites in this area as well.
The BlueGrass Parkway ends at I-65 in Elizabethtown. From there, it's a short trip down I-65 to Mammoth Cave.
Enjoy your time in the Commonwealth of Kentucky.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:20 AM   #4
Fulltime family RVer

One thing to be aware of- the county that Mammoth Cave is in is a dry county. If you need to buy alcohol, it's a long drive!

Just south of there is the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:32 PM   #5

Thank you very much, all great information, just what we were looking for.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:26 AM   #6

I really really wanted to go to Mammoth Cave on our trip this summer. Then I learned that the campground is primitive. We could have stayed at a campground outside of the park, but we won't have a driving vehicle.

Instead, we are staying at Carter Caves SP where we won't have to drive anywhere.

Someday, I'll get the kids there!

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:56 PM   #7

Thanks for the info. we have a travel trailer so driving won't be an issue. we may stay at Nolan lake state park, read good reviews and is close by. thanks again