Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2011, 09:37 AM   #1

Preparing for first Travel Trailer experience

Purchased our Tracer 2600 in February and are finally going to go camping! This will be our first experience in a travel trailer so wish us luck. It will be a good test run because we have already made future camping reservations. The weather is still supposed to be rainy but at this point, it looks like it may be that way for a lot longer! I think Mother Nature is stuck on wet!!! Have a great weekend all.
ktktbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:57 AM   #2

Good idea to make first trip close to home in case problems show up, although it wasn't until our fourth trip that major problems showed up.
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
UpNorthMgoBlue

I also am going to next weekend make my first run with TT. Making sure everything is ready has taken some time but can't wait to go from the tent to the trailer. We are traveling about 100 miles this first trip. Mushroom Festival in Boyne Michigan. Got a pull thru spot for the first outing....
dlzeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:30 AM   #4

Preparing for first Travel Trailer experience

We finally got to use our Tracer for 3 days at a lake about 1 hour from home. Everything went very well, we did not encounter any real problems.

One thing though is that it is our understanding that the Refrigerator should run off the battery while in transit, however, it did not. We have the switch set to auto and the book says the system should try electric -> gas -> then battery. Does anyone know if this is true or if we need to do something different? We are also under the impression not to have the gas on while in transit. Does anyone know how, or if, we can keep the refrigerator running while we are in transit?

Thanks in advance.
ktktbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:49 AM   #5

Most travel trailer fridges are only gas or electric (110), tent trailers commonly have the 3 way fridge, (gas, elec 110, and 12 volt)

As for traveling, the fridge operates on the gas, and yes most of us travel with the gas turned on. There was a thread a short time ago about traveling with gas, most of us do.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:11 PM   #6

Yeah it's most likely just AC or LP (gas). DC 12v I have found a joke and a real battery killer with my old popup. Lots of people roll down the road with LP on but if your concerned leave it off. A pre-chilled fridge should survive a 2-4 hour trip without issue. They say a home fridge is fine if left closed for 4 hours during a power failure!
brianb is offline   Reply With Quote