Old 06-25-2011, 05:02 PM   #11
(Kim)

I live in Windsor Ontario, so we cross the border alot!! (in car only w/o trailer)

Many of our friends work in Detroit and they do have their lunches searched and/or are asked 'what's in the lunchbox' on a daily basis.

When we need to pack lunches for a day trip I always put BP & Jelly in the cooler, and hide the turkey and ham sandwiches in a compartment in the floor of the truck.

They are also picky about children in the car, and will ask the children several questions to ascertain if they are safe or not ( a good thing to me!!!!!)

We have never been pulled over for anything, and never/rarely have to pay duty on our purchases made in the US. We have had only good crossings and I honestly think it is due to the way that my hubby interacts with the customs officers (either that or he has an honest face).
I have however heard many a horror story from people who have had BAD experiences, at the border =[

DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:34 PM   #12

"I just read an article about US Canada crossing & was surprised to find that since 911 they (Canada) will actually turn you away for various offenses that happened in the US. And not just the major crimes but for stuff like DUI. No matter how long ago."

3 Happy, it is the same for Canadians going to the US. I have no idea why they use DUIs as a reason to refuse entry. But rules are rules.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:34 PM   #13
(Kim)

I have a friend who has dual-citizenship. He was born in the US, but married a Canadian and lives here.
He works in the USA and had a Nexus pass. (allows faster access across the border)
A couple of years ago (post 911) his Nexus application was reviewed and then denied (by the US), on the grounds that he had a past DUI in the USA more than a decade ago.

Go figure.......

DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote