Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2011, 06:08 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Question about customs at the border

Planning our trip to Nova Scotia and return. I have a question about customs going across the border and returning to US.

In the Atlas of TRAILER LIFE Directory 2011, it basically covers the do's and don'ts for customs. We always take in our fridge frozen chicken, center cut pork chops, sausage patties ETC for our own consumption. Do customs check your fridge on returning to US of items carried over to Canada?

I was just wondering how picky the customs are for you personal food?

Also, if we purchase cooked frozen lobsters in Nova Scotia.

Do you have to fill out a customs declaration form on returning to US and where do you get it? Is it supplied at the border?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated and studied very close.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2022 51 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:14 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Canada Customs - Government Regulations at the Canadian Border

Most up to date info Sid.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:35 AM   #3
Happy to Be Camping

Location: We live in Rhode Island, but our hearts are in New Hampshire
On our last trip to Nova Scotia last year going over was fine, coming back the US customs went through the rig, especially the refrig. We forgot about plums we bought and they confiscated them. No problem at all, though. Don't forget your passports and have a great trip!
Shawomet3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:49 AM   #4

This is from the official Canadian border website (going into Canada):

The following are some examples of the limits that apply to personal importations of food products from the United States:
  • 2 dozen eggs;
  • 20 kilograms of dairy products not exceeding $20 in value (e.g. cheese and butter);
  • 3 kilograms of margarine or butter substitutes; and
  • 20 kilograms of edible meats and meat products, including turkey and chicken.
Within this limit on meat, the following restrictions apply:
  • a maximum of one whole turkey or 10 kilograms of turkey products;
  • a maximum of 10 kilograms of chicken; and
  • a maximum of 20 kilograms of edible meats and meat products from cattle, sheep, goats, bison and buffalo.
For more information, visit the Export and Import Controls Bureau of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada.

Understanding Food, Plant and Animal Regulations

Better to look at the official govt. website than someone else's interpretation (trailer life or about.com).
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:28 AM   #5

American customs are a little sticky about the meat, given the incidents of mad cow disease in Canada a few years ago and if you don't have a US stamp on fruits, they'll take it all. Coming into canada, you are restricted to 40 ozs of liquor or 24 cans of beer per person. Booze is expensive in Canada. If you don't drink, pick up a couple of bottles of Rum for me and come visit in Nova Scotia.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:08 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

We had a bizarre crossing @ Detroit last Thursday. The guy in the booth asked for our 2 passports & citizenship. Asked me to unlock the TT. A 2nd official checked out the trailer & I was on my way. No questions of where or why I was entering the US or how long my stay was. The girl did say that it was a nice trailer. We uy our groceries in the US rather than deal w/ the hit or miss food issues.

I've been crossing into Detroit since '86 for the NASCAR races & other trips. Sometimes the official is pleasant, other times you wonder why the person isn't in another line of work.

I think the declaration form is done on your return. I've sat behind US cars returning to the US. They sometimes get a more thorough check than Canadian vehicles. I haven't noticed any getting pulled out for secondary inspection.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:03 AM   #7

I know a gal who had a large crockpot of cooked chilli confiscated coming into the US (Montana) because it contained meat. The entire potful was dumped despite her protests that was already cooked and that was their planned meals for their weekend at the cabin.

Bringing Food into the U.S. - CBP.gov

Bringing Food into the U.S.

(03/21/2008)We regret that it is necessary to take agricultural items from your baggage. They cannot be brought into the United States because they may carry animal and plant pests and diseases. Restricted items include meats, fruits, vegetables, plants, soil, and products made from animal or plant materials.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:05 AM   #8

Actually the booze isn't so much of a problem. The limit cited above is the amount you can bring in duty free. Past that limit you can still bring it in, but must pay duty. The price difference makes this still a pretty good deal - I think it was something like $2 a bottle on wine - and if you bought two buck chuck to begin with you are still ahead.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:36 PM   #9

I just read an article about US Canada crossing & was surprised to find that since 911 they (Canada) will actually turn you away for various offenses that happened in the US. And not just the major crimes but for stuff like DUI. No matter how long ago.
We’ve been planning a 1 month long Canada trip for a couple years now. Unfortunately back in 1989 I had a DUI. It can take $1500, several forms & as much as 3 years to get a waiver from Canada to travel.
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:18 PM   #10

Recently from US to Canada they took our apples, we had loads of booze just paid the duty. Then from Canada to US they took our Tomatoes and green onions.

In both cases they ignored the other fruit and veg and how much meat/fish/cooked frozen meals we had in the freezer.

Just be nice, be extremely patient, smile a lot, don't make jokes they have no sense of humor thats why they do that job, (that will be hard for you Sid) otherwise they will pull your floor boards up!

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:02 PM   #11
(Kim)

I live in Windsor Ontario, so we cross the border alot!! (in car only w/o trailer)

Many of our friends work in Detroit and they do have their lunches searched and/or are asked 'what's in the lunchbox' on a daily basis.

When we need to pack lunches for a day trip I always put BP & Jelly in the cooler, and hide the turkey and ham sandwiches in a compartment in the floor of the truck.

They are also picky about children in the car, and will ask the children several questions to ascertain if they are safe or not ( a good thing to me!!!!!)

We have never been pulled over for anything, and never/rarely have to pay duty on our purchases made in the US. We have had only good crossings and I honestly think it is due to the way that my hubby interacts with the customs officers (either that or he has an honest face).
I have however heard many a horror story from people who have had BAD experiences, at the border =[
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:34 PM   #12

"I just read an article about US Canada crossing & was surprised to find that since 911 they (Canada) will actually turn you away for various offenses that happened in the US. And not just the major crimes but for stuff like DUI. No matter how long ago."

3 Happy, it is the same for Canadians going to the US. I have no idea why they use DUIs as a reason to refuse entry. But rules are rules.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:34 PM   #13
(Kim)

I have a friend who has dual-citizenship. He was born in the US, but married a Canadian and lives here.
He works in the USA and had a Nexus pass. (allows faster access across the border)
A couple of years ago (post 911) his Nexus application was reviewed and then denied (by the US), on the grounds that he had a past DUI in the USA more than a decade ago.

Go figure.......
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote