Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2014, 12:54 PM   #1

Rainy Day Blues - Trip Postponed

What to do? All packed up and ready to head out for an 11-day trip to Clear Creek State Park (PA). Unfortunately, Mother Nature is not cooperating at all. Rained last night, raining all day today and calling for heavier rain tonight. Talked to the park Manager... They "haven't called for a mandatory evacuation"... But There's a flash flood watch until later tonight... The campground has flooded twice in the last year... So... We've decided a holding pattern is best for now. At worst, I'm out $26... Well, that and anxious to go kids... Could be much worse than that, however, if I roll the dice and get flooded.

I don't mind getting rained on once we're settled in... But fighting a storm while you're pulling in and getting set up is another story altogether.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:14 PM   #2

Good decision. Flash floods are not to be taken lightly.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:16 PM   #3
Always Learning

Can you go anywhere else?
Old 06-12-2014, 01:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Can you go anywhere else?
A few years back, we got run out of Top Sail Hill SP in Florida by a hurricane.
We spent one night of a 8 day trip there before being evacuated and sent off to a "refugee camp" away from the coast.
The next morning, we looked at the forecast within a days drive and ended up driving all day to get to Myrtle Beach while the hurricane chased us across I-10.

State's we've RVed in
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:24 PM   #5

Maybe a site near Raystown is available. It is supposed to be a nice weekend at least.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:25 PM   #6
Site Team

Sorry to hear the trip is cancelled. Maybe you will be able to get out camping elsewhere even if it's close by. Start checking around for possible options and see what you can find. While it's hit & miss I have had luck picking up reservations after someone else cancels their reservation.

After buying my TT I had a slow start out of the gate getting camping. I even started feeling disconnected to the trailer because of the long wait. When the time came to take my maiden voyage I had to cancel my reservations for the beach campground due to strong winds with gusts up to 65+ mph. I ended up staying one night at a local campground that ended up being one of my favorite spots to get away.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:26 PM   #7

I talked to my sister this morning who is camp hosting for 2 weeks at Clear Creek. She said they have never seen it like this!
Old 06-12-2014, 02:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott1 View Post
I talked to my sister this morning who is camp hosting for 2 weeks at Clear Creek. She said they have never seen it like this!

This is our favorite campground. Did 10 days last year... Same thing... The back section was evacuated due to rising water. We were river front, so I was a little nervous with the kids... All worked out well.

We haven't abandoned ship yet... Waiting till the morning and going to call for an update. Hopefully, we'll be set up and camping before noon. Otherwise, we'll head somewhere else for the week.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:05 PM   #9

We live about 12 miles from Clear Creek. My family rented cabins there at least 50 years a ago. Great Park. We are currently camping at COE lake in Tionesta, Pa.It is about 30 miles north of us . Not sure about the weather guessers, it is 4pm and sun shining bright.
pacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacin View Post
We live about 12 miles from Clear Creek. My family rented cabins there at least 50 years a ago. Great Park. We are currently camping at COE lake in Tionesta, Pa.It is about 30 miles north of us . Not sure about the weather guessers, it is 4pm and sun shining bright.

Yeah... My brother lives just up the hill from Clear Creek (literally) and he says the same thing... Laughing at me actually. But the heavy rain is predicted for a little later... Although the predictions have backed off a little since earlier today.

My luck... Didn't matter which choice I went with, it would have been the wrong one (just ask my wife).

I am eying up Locust Lake SP as an alternative.... Never know.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:42 AM   #11
Always Learning

Bad boy, bad boy, what'cha gonna do? It's tomorrow- where ya headed camping?
Old 06-22-2014, 05:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Bad boy, bad boy, what'cha gonna do? It's tomorrow- where ya headed camping?
Sorry for the late response. We ended up going with our initial plans and went to Clear Creek. Got in around 11:30am on Friday and unhooked... all set up and then the rains came pouring down. It rained for the better part of the day... kids were antsy to get out and do something, so it was a little rough to start. Many were not as fortunate as i was and had to set up in the rain... felt bad for them. Saturday, Sunday and most of Monday were nice. Tuesday night we got hit with one of the worst storms i've seen... and we had a perfect view from our camper... tornado watch was issued (unknown to us because there's no cell phone service at all). Lost power for about 12-hours. Wednesday was "rinse and repeat"... ok weather through the day... and then around 9:00 another round of severe storms came rolling through. Lost power again until early morning. Rained most of the day Thursday but then turned nice in the afternoon. Had perfect weather through today.
All in all, had a good time. Kinda funny, however... when the wife was with us on the two weekends, the weather was great... when she left through the week, it rained. Hmmm... lol.
Kids got to see the grandparents quite a bit, did some horseback riding and we hit the drive-in for a double feature.
We found out that Clear Creek will be allowing dogs at the campground next year... so that will eliminate this park from our "must do" list... but i still would recommend it to anyone.
Next up in two weeks... Idlewild Park in Ligoneer, PA
Old 06-22-2014, 05:38 PM   #13
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDHfan View Post
... tornado watch was issued (unknown to us because there's no cell phone service at all). Lost power for about 12-hours.
We always carry a S.A.M.E equipped weather radio. About $30. The wall-wart power supply that comes with them puts out 12 vdc, which means you can make a cable to run the thing off of the 12 vdc in the camper.

I installed an automotive 12 vdc outlet in the bedroom to power the weather radio, plus any other gadget I might want to run off 12 vdc.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:56 AM   #14

I have this item and it is on the pre-launch checklist. It runs for a long time in Alert mode and it has warned us about thunderstorms a couple of times. It stays in the trailer kitchen but I have taken it along on long days away from the campground when I remember. (Wish I had remembered before last trip to Hershey so I would have take ponchos too).

Amazon.com: Midland HH50 Pocket Weather Radio: Electronics

I also have Emergency Alerts enabled on the smart phone and it has warned about severe weather recently (as well as Amber Alerts).