Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2018, 08:11 PM   #1

Recommendation Harrisonburg,Va, to Main

We are wanting to travel to Main in the next couple of weeks. We are retired so there is really no time frame for the wife and me. We will be traveling in a 37 ft Georgetown and towing a car. Any suggestions on the route to travel where it will be a leisurely drive ( not too much traffic ) and site seeing plus places to camp would be appreciated. I figure 3 to 4 weeks should be enough to see plenty, I guess. What do you guys think?
jagwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:33 AM   #2

Doing the same trip in Sept., leaving from the Staunton Va area.
But we're just going stright up, not sightseeing on the way. We avoid all cities if possible. Taking I-81 north to I-88, then a bit north, Will work our way north and east on the interstates and major state roads cutting thru Vt, NH, into Maine.
Trip is 4-5 weeks, after Maine into NH, Vt, Upper NY, and to Niagra Falls.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:41 AM   #3

Thanks Grumpy, that sounds like what we want to do instead of messing around getting there. On the map, what roads do you take to get to Maine after 88? And what in your opinion is the best parts of Maine to visit. As you can tell I have never been north much past PA. we always go south to FL for the winter, or camping near us.
You would think after camping 30 years we would have been a little further away from home.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:45 AM   #4

We're taking I-88 to 4 outside of Glens Falls, then 4 to I-91. I-91 north to Johnsbury, catching SR 2 east across Vt, NH, into Maine. Havent been to Maine in almost 30 years, and never taken that route. Giving ourselves 3 full days to get up there in case there's something we want to stop n see on the way.
We're just staying at Bar Harbor/Acadia for a week. Sightsee the island, park, and surronding towns. Park tours, whale watching tours, town and village walking, searching out the best mom n pop restraunts and shops.
Not really familar with other areas, but I know there's alot to see.
Then to White Mountain area for a week, then to Vt, Lake Champlain area for a week. Then to the Falls for 4 days, both US and Canada side. Have reservations at some nice campgrounds. Made em early as they tend to fill up...mid to late Sept beginning of leaf season...didn't want to chance just "winging it".
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:54 AM   #5

Thanks for all the info. and the bother. I'm sure with all this we will be able to have a great time on our adventure North. Maybe we will run into each other on one of our excursions some time.

Kenny, Debbie, Teddy Bear
Old 07-13-2018, 12:35 PM   #6

If you can get into schoodic woods campground in Acadia people say it is the best in the country.

Rockwood ultra lite 2440ws
2014 Toyota Tundra 4wd v8 5.7
reese hitch
reese revolution on rv
Bose04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:38 PM   #7

We are from PA and Last year we took 81 to 78 to 287 to 87 (avoided the tappenze bridge) to 84 to 90 to 495 to 95. The only place we hit traffic was in the Worcester Framingham area. We drove straight through, about 13 hours total time.

Check out a post from last year I started regarding which roads to use from Bar Harbor to the White Mountains.

Enjoy your trip.

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:41 PM   #8

Whatever you do...don't miss allocating some time for Acadia National Park & Bar Harbor. Suggest staying slightly north of there in Winter Harbor which will be less crowded and let you enjoy the part of Acadia recently added on the Schoodic penninsula scenic drive.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:24 PM   #9

We’re just ending our 24 night eastern trip, getting home tomorrow. One stop we had was Acadia in Maine. We stayed at Narrows Too campground. Had an oceanfront site. Nice campground, site had great view.
Raskw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:35 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

I have overnighted at the Stauton/Walnut Hills Campground many times and had no issues. It was a KOA then and is not now.

I was going to stay at the Harrisonburg/Shenandoah Valley KOA on the way to the Mayberry FROG Rally, but the camper blew a sneaker and did a lot of damage and had to turn around.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:54 AM   #11

Rte 81 is scenic, busy in places as it's a major N/S route, obviously, so plenty of tractor-trailers. Rte 88 in contrast, is hardly any traffic, also scenic. Just about 7 miles north of Binghamton, NY is Chenango Valley State Park, if you need to overnight in the area. We have a FROG rally there every year, and last year there were folks overnighting there from Quebec on their way through. Just off rte 88, about 20 miles north is Cooperstown, NY. National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum, with its interactive exhibits, artifacts and Plaque Gallery. The Farmers’ Museum depicts 19th-century farm life, and includes craft demonstrations and a hand-carved carousel. The Fenimore Art Museum features American fine art and folk art, plus a garden with lake views. There are campgrounds in the Cooperstown/Hartwick area, and some off Rte 88. Howe Caverns also on Rte 88.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:47 AM   #12

Thanks Librarian, I was looking for places to overnite. And you are right, 81 can be a bear with all the trucks and other traffic.