Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #1

Reservations or Wing It in June Maine/Canada

We plan to spend 2 to 3 weeks in Maine and Nova Scotia/PEI this June. I know this is the shoulder season and the peak season is between 4th of July and Memorial Day. My question is should we make reservations or are we early enough in the season that we should be able to get into the RV parks easy on a whim?

We plan on staying around Portland, Acadia, Peggy's Cove, Old Shipwreck and on PEI. What you think.. Thx

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:36 PM   #2

You should be OK without reservations in June. I have traveled during the high season without reservations. The only time I make reservations is if I am camping on a long weekend. Enjoy your trip.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #3

How late in June are you planning to camp. If you go the national parks route .. book Acadia for the time you are staying .. as it is a very popular park .. and will fill weekends. That being said ... well i think you know the answer. \
As for Peggies cove .. once again i would review your options for reservations. A very popular spot for Canadians and Americans. However going private here ... shouldnt be an issue ... but your campsite maybe.

d-mo
Old 02-16-2013, 10:58 AM   #4

Booked Acadia a few weeks back we are there from July 1-5.
campfirefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:13 AM   #5

Thanks for the insight. We have booked Acadia but no where else as of now. We don't want to be tied down to a schedule but as D-mo says we might not get an optimal site. One day delay due to unforeseen issue also blows everything down the line. We may just book the locations we might think to be crowded and then free wheel on the others.
Caper.. I see you are pulling your TT with an f-150. What WD hitch are you using and how does it work out for you? I am looking at the equalizer 4 way.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:28 AM   #6

The equalizer is what we use and its got great reviews. We pull out TT with a dodge 1500 with no issues It is noisy when you r making hard turns. Other than that we hardly know the TT is there.
Bodean614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodean614 View Post
The equalizer is what we use and its got great reviews. We pull out TT with a dodge 1500 with no issues It is noisy when you r making hard turns. Other than that we hardly know the TT is there.
Thx Bo... I understand you can buy some sort of plastic sleeve from equalizer that slides onto the sway bars that helps eliminated the metal on metal noise.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:10 PM   #8

If you have not done so already, be sure to spend a few hours at Hopewell Rocks in NB. World's highest tides. We were there on a day when the high tide was 45.5'! We stayed at a campground motel nearby (Gaskins RV & Motel) It was okay, and we had a good lobster dinner in the motel restaurant.

We did not have any problems finding good campsites in Nova Scotia even without reservations.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #9

I'd book those w\e's just for peace of mind.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:28 PM   #10

[QUOTE]Caper.. I see you are pulling your TT with an f-150. What WD hitch are you using and how does it work out for you? I am looking at the equalizer 4 way.[QUOTE
We have the husky round bar with 2 friction sway control. If you are going to Hopewell Rocks (flower pots) Ponderosa Pines is a nice CG to stay at. They have full service sites and are just around the corner from the entrance to the park. When we were there a moose was feeding on the tidal flats. The flats can be seen from the CG. If you are going to Cape Breton Island. The KOA at the Seal Island bridge is a nice place to stay. The CG is terraced and every site has a view of the water. An other spot that is close by is the Arm of Gold CG near North Sydney. Either CG would be a good spot to stay at if you want to explore the Island.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:35 PM   #11
Bass Player

Trip to Nova Scotia

We live in Nova Scotia, in the Peggy's Cove area, Risser's Beach Provincial Park is very nice, should make a reservation, you should also plan to visit Cape Breton, it is about 4.5 hours from Peggy's Cove but well worth the trip. Hidden Hilltop in Glenholme is also a very nice campground, it is about 5 minutes off the trans Canada Highway and about 1.5 hr from Peggy's Cove.
In Maine we really liked Paul Bunyan in Bangor. Do yourself a favour and look at Cape Breton Island, it is beautiful and there is lots to see. Maybe we can have a beer, we start camping the last weekend in May and go to Nov 1.
Let me know if you need any tourism info from here.
2008 Harley Heritage Classic
Sydney , NS, Canada
garychew is offline   Reply With Quote