Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2012, 09:19 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark and Linda View Post
Congratulations on your retirement...I retired a few years ago from the Tennessee Air National Guard and I was a full time technician. I spent almost 30 years going to drills and working, plus pulling alert on weekends. I know you are glad to be retired, enjoy the roads, campgrounds, and the scenery...Seven Points is a nice one in the Nashville Area, plus Cages Bend, Cedar Creek, and then Defeated Creek near Carthage, TN. I received my coveted Senior Pass also last November, my wife said that she had never seen anyone turn 62 and be proud of it. Hey....it is something we earned...Hope to see you on the road somewhere.....

Forget I forgot to mention in my earlier post, don't let any of the family know you are retired....they will start making their lists out on what needs to be done, baby sitting, etc Enjoy.....if you are camping, they can't find you.
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:05 AM   #22

Congratulations on your retirement! I hope to be joining you in 8 years, 150 days, 5 hours, 56 minues. (But hey, who's counting!) Enjoy yourselves and relax!! You now have no one to answer to and no clock to punch. How awesome.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #23
Newly retired and ready

To everyone who has posted here wishing us a great retirement, that is what I am talking about when it comes to campers treating other campers with respect and well wishes.
I have been camping most all of my life. As a kid my folks and my brother and sister and I would pile in our station wagon with our Sears and Robucks canvas tent and head to Canada. I absolutely did not appreciate what it was that my parents were doing for me at the time but oh do I now. That is the reason for my love of camping.
I can honestly say that through the years I have probably only had two or three experiences where I wished I hadn't camped next to those people.
To those of you who are nearing retirement, keep on keepin on. For those of you who have went before me, thanks for the tips.
I ordered the mountain books for both the East and West and they came today. I am looking forward to wearing out my Senior Pass card this year. Again, thanks for all of the well wishes.

HAPPY CAMPING from Iowa
Gl111349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #24

Good for you! I hope you enjoy your retirement to the max. Hopefully I will be able to follow your example in 4 years. Many happy years to you.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:40 PM   #25

Congratulations on your retirement, I hope you have many memorable trips. From what of seen of other members photos there are some great places to visit in USA.
In Australia most campers respect each other, we`ve never had a problem but often we`re the only ones there. The strangest thing was a fellow who camped close to us when there we were the only campers and the campground had about 300 hundred sites, of which 50 were on the creek bank. He came over an informed us that he had camped there every year for the last 40 years and that we had his spot. I think he expected us to move.! Not as if it`s booked campground.

Enjoy your retirement
Cheers, Robyn
Aussie Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:25 PM   #26

If you get to Upper East Tenn be sure to try Roan Mtn State Park. One of the best state parks in Tenn. Water and elec and a dump station.
roanmountaincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #27

Congratulations Gary,

I first retired in 1996 and again in 2006. I highly recommend it to everyone. Like you I used to have to check in with work and many times had to return from camping vacations. One year they even made me return from Colorado to California. Of course the family had to return too. Sometimes I could return and then rejoin them if it wasn't to far away.

The best tip I have for you is to get setup in camp before dark. I like to get to a destination or stop over in time to relax, have a beverage and then set everything up at my leisure. Don't try to go to far in one day. I average about 40 miles an hour over the course of a days travel. That includes stops for fuel, rest and stretch. If I go 200 miles I consider it a pretty good day. I have done much more but I don't enjoy it when I do.

What ever you do be safe and enjoy.

Best regards,
Jim
Old 03-15-2012, 08:02 AM   #28
Newly retired and ready

Jim, you and are are sure on the same page when it comes to setting up camp early. Some of my worst experiences have been around driving too far in a day and getting into camp late and then having to hurry to set up and then the whole evening seems to go down hill from there.
This first full retirement trip involves averaging less than 200 miles of driving on any day we drive.
We are planning very few "one night" camps. Most of them will be multiple nights with the Smokey Mountains being for over a week.

Gary, Susan, and Molly(the dog)
2016 Ford F-250
2010 Flagstaff 8524 RLS
Gl111349 is offline   Reply With Quote