Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2016, 08:05 PM   #1

Rhode Island to pigeon forge

This is our first Rv trip just got our sunseeker in October we had to winterize so we are taking a few small trips but this is the big one we are staying at the pigeon forge / Kia on veterans Blvd. we think we should drive about 600 miles on day 1 the 300 the next day we're should we stay on the first night roanoke seems around 1/2 way thoughts and recommendation plus what about the Koa we are staying? Thanks
Steveanddianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:17 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveanddianne View Post
This is our first Rv trip just got our sunseeker in October we had to winterize so we are taking a few small trips but this is the big one we are staying at the pigeon forge / Kia on veterans Blvd. we think we should drive about 600 miles on day 1 the 300 the next day we're should we stay on the first night roanoke seems around 1/2 way thoughts and recommendation plus what about the Koa we are staying? Thanks

I have never stayed at the KOA in Pigeon Forge but I have went by it a lot, seems to be a nice campground. We have stayed at different campgrounds in Pigeon Forge and we like to stay at campgrounds that the Funtown Trolley comes by, we ride the trolley a lot, costs 50 cents a person. There is one campground close to the I-40, it's like $34.00 a night plus it's a GoodSam park, the spots are wide, the KOA seems tight, the KOA stays full. There is a lot of campgrounds at Pigeon Forge plus the National Park is close by with more campgrounds

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:37 AM   #3

When you get off I-40 you may get lucky and drive to the KOA and not get in a traffic jam, I have never been that lucky. There is a better way, it's just crooked. When you come down I-81 where it meets I-40 get on I-40 East, then take exit 432A to 411. There will be signs, this road takes you by Bush Beans, you can stop if you like and take a tour. Stay on 411 until you come to Veterans Blvd, KOA will be on your right once you get to Pigeon Forge. It's easy driving.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
When you get off I-40 you may get lucky and drive to the KOA and not get in a traffic jam, I have never been that lucky. There is a better way, it's just crooked. When you come down I-81 where it meets I-40 get on I-40 East, then take exit 432A to 411. There will be signs, this road takes you by Bush Beans, you can stop if you like and take a tour. Stay on 411 until you come to Veterans Blvd, KOA will be on your right once you get to Pigeon Forge. It's easy driving.

Crooked is not the word, that was a road where we could check our own brake lights on the curves . After Bush Beans it does get better, we followed a tractor trailer at the start and figured if he was going that way it would be fine, we could not keep up with him.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:27 AM   #5

We like the KOA its convenient for us. We usually get the premium sites, nice but not cheep. We also like to eat breakfast at the Old Mill which is close.
Grambo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 12:51 PM   #6

Be cautious about trying to drive 600 miles on day one. Even averaging 50 MPH, which you might, is a 12 hour driving day. You might want to reconsider. You know yourself best but, slow down and enjoy the countryside.

2008 Rockwood Sig Ultra Lite 8315SS
Livin the Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 01:59 PM   #7
7 Year Class A RV'er

While you're at the KOA in Pigeon Forge, drive a couple hundred yards up Veteran's and look to your right for Bear Cove Campground. Drive through and check it out. We've stayed there twice and really enjoyed it. All back in sites, but all concrete, two bath houses and pools, fishing pond. Very quiet and clean. Highly recommended.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 03:46 PM   #8

9 to 10 hrs is about what I drive the first day on long trips. I wouldn't think there would be much traffic in Pigeon Forge this time of year.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:14 PM   #9

Heading there the last week in july. I hope I enjoy it after a 12 hour trip to get there. Then over to west Virginia to do some atving.
Big Red and 30WR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 04:24 PM   #10

We have stayed at Bear Cove campground twice too. We live be that campground. The owner's name is Jason and he is a great guy. He and his wife run it and stay there. I recommend it to anyone and it is right beside Dollywood. You can see the fireworks from your RV, but no noise from the park. Great place to stay.
NF_Scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 06:45 PM   #11

I like to plan on about 350-400 miles per day, which means about 6-7 hours driving at 60 MPH average. That leaves some "fudge factor" in case of a minor issue or unplanned stop to see something and I can still arrive before dark. Then again, I'm retired, so why try to push the drive and get uptight when it's supposed to be FUN!
kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:38 PM   #12

We have stayed at the Koa in Pigeon Forge before. Very nice campground. I agree that you should eat at the Old Mill restaurant. You can walk to Patriot park and get the shuttle bus to get around the town. Buses went to Gatlinburg and Sevierville also. We stayed at a KOA in Wythville Virginia on our way down from western Pa. to break up the drive. I'm hoping to go back there in September for the Shades of the Past car show.
rhughsless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:27 PM   #13

We have stayed at the Pigeon Forge KOA a couple of times and, like said before, is very convenient to a lot of different things "to do" in the area. The trolley for Dollywood stops right in front of the campground. You do need to know that Veterens Blvd is very busy and can be very noisy. Also, this is an old KOA - not to take anything away from it as it is maintained very nicely - but the sites are very close together and maneuvering is extremely tight. When this campground was originally built, I don't think they allowed for either slide outs or 30 ft plus RV's. You park your tow vehicle in front of your RV and for others entering and trying to maneuver to set up or leave, it is VERY TIGHT. I will say though, that if you do have an issue with your campsite, they are quick to respond. Last time we were there, it had rained a lot and a big mud hole developed right in front of the door of our MH - we mentioned it to the front desk and when we returned to our campsite an hour later, they had filled the mud hole with gravel. Great service.

If you want to be away from the noise and lights, I highly recommend Pine Mountain Campground in Pigeon Forge. It's about a block off the main drag - the sites are all long, level concrete pads with an attached concrete picnic area with fiberglass tables and your fire ring is NOT located under your awning (like so many seem to be nowadays. And, if it's too cold to use the outdoor pool, you have privileges right across the street at the hotel's indoor pool - simply show them your campground receipt. Rates are, I believe, a bit less than the KOA.

We've also stayed at the Wytheville,VA KOA and enjoyed our stay there. Although both times were only for overnight each way, we'd definitely stay there again when passing through that area.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boso View Post
9 to 10 hrs is about what I drive the first day on long trips. I wouldn't think there would be much traffic in Pigeon Forge this time of year.

There is ALWAYS traffic in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area. This is the time for skiing at Ober Gatlinburg, the outlet shops have big sales and lots of people come to stay in the cabins in the area for the chance of snow.

Do as was suggested above and take 411 in the back way. You will NOT get stuck in traffic that way, but be very careful at the Bush Bean plant and stay on 411, which goes to the left, don't go straight ahead on Rt 92.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:17 PM   #15

We have stayed at Pine Mountain campground, it is nice. Old Mill Restaurant is a great place to eat at, breakfast is great. Log Cabin Pancake House is a favorite. The Apple Barn is always the first place we go to, I like the hot apple turnover and the apple dumpling with ice cream, always a line. They have apple cider that's not pasteurized, I always buy a gallon.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:18 PM   #16

Heading down to Pigeon Forge there will be a lot of campground along the way. Down load an App to your phone like RVParky or All Stays to find a spot 50 miles or so (or an hour more of drive) to check out for the overnight. I would do a little advance research though on operating season to make sure campgrounds are open that early in the season. If the weather isn't that cold you can always spend the night at a rest stop in the camper too! Plus you save a few bucks on the campground and food by using the beautiful new camper. Use the web site campgroundreviews.com to check out campground ratings when making plans. Stayed at Creekside campground in Gatlinburg off I believe Rt.411. Spotlessly clean, little tight but the sites that back up to the creek give you the sense of having a back yard. Very friendly (I think they all are in these parts!) will great facilities.
All the talk of going here or there for breakfast, one of my favorite parts of camping, whether a weekend get-away or long trip is to cook breakfast outside on a beautiful morning. Nothing like the smell of maple bacon cooking mixed with the cool morning air to make you appreciate the camper you chose and the camping lifestyle. I'll spend money perhaps on lunch or dinner out if rushing back to the camper would break up a great sight seeing day but never on breakfast. To precious!
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:43 PM   #17

Thanks to all

Being new to this we can't thank everyone enough for all of the feedback. It is really appreciated
Steveanddianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:55 PM   #18

We got to Old Mill Restaurant a little late for supper one night, we stood in line for 3 hours

Old 02-01-2016, 01:54 PM   #19

there is traffic all the time up there my kids live there and tell me all about it
peterbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:43 PM   #20

There is ways to get around all that traffic, Veterans Blvd is one way. Old Newport Highway is another.