Old 09-29-2010, 08:59 AM   #1

Road into Helen GA ????

We are going to the Coast 2 Coast Unicoi Springs Camp Resort 9-12 Oct, just outside of Helen for a few days and I have questions about the drive from Atlanta to the campground. Here is the recommended route that I see.

I-75 North from Florida toward Atlanta…All highway driving.

I-75N to I-675N to I-285N around Atlanta …. All highway driving

I-285N to I-85N to I-985N to US-23N

US-23N to GA384N to GA75N to GA17N to Highway 356

The question is From the end of I-985N and the start of US23N what are the roads like?
Single lane?, Steep mountain? Any tight spots? Any low spots? Etc….

Thanks for the help. Also is there a better way?

Old 09-29-2010, 01:53 PM   #2
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxfl View Post
We are going to the Coast 2 Coast Unicoi Springs Camp Resort 9-12 Oct, just outside of Helen for a few days and I have questions about the drive from Atlanta to the campground. Here is the recommended route that I see.

I-75 North from Florida toward Atlanta…All highway driving.

I-75N to I-675N to I-285N around Atlanta …. All highway driving

I-285N to I-85N to I-985N to US-23N

US-23N to GA384N to GA75N to GA17N to Highway 356

The question is From the end of I-985N and the start of US23N what are the roads like?
Single lane?, Steep mountain? Any tight spots? Any low spots? Etc….

Thanks for the help. Also is there a better way?
I live a few hours up I-85 from Helen and have been there by car a few times (never towed there or camped for some reason). Helen is a very popular destination and as far as I remember 17/356 is designed for the traffic. I don't recall significant grades or curves and the highways are plenty wide. However, if you go north of Helen the grades become much steeper and the roads very winding. I think your biggest problem going to Helen on the route you suggested (and while in and around Helen) well be the sometimes horrible traffic and lack of parking.

Also, 75 into Atlanta and 285 around Atlanta can be an absolute NIGHTMARE 24/7. You may want to consider getting off 75 at Forsyth and taking GA83 to US441 which hits 85 at Commerce, well north of the Atlanta metro area. That is the route I have taken many times on trips to and from western Florida and the gulf coast. It might not save a lot of time (though it COULD save hours), but the scenery is certainly nicer than the brake lights and your blood pressure will be lower.

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:22 PM   #3

Willis thanks for the heads up. Question how about taking 129 north to 441 instead of going to GA83?
Old 09-29-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxfl View Post
Willis thanks for the heads up. Question how about taking 129 north to 441 instead of going to GA83?
I've done 129 and north of Macon, 129 is congested strip-mall territory for 5 or 10 miles. But after that it would be a good route too. Still better than I285!

Also, bypassing Macon via I475 is actually a bit shorter.

Now I just thought of something else...if you take this route, check the Univ of Georgia website to see if there's a football game in Athens that weekend. That might have an impact on the traffic. In that case you could go farther east and take G22 through Sparta and pick up US29. If you're a baseball fan and remember Ty Cobb, there used to be a museum in Royston which was Cobb's birthplace.

There are numerous options. This part of Georgia has only mild hills and no winding roads or traffic to speak of and is quite scenic.

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote