Old 03-23-2016, 02:35 PM   #11

I-95 North is divided highway. Once past Bangor its a straight easy run into Houlton Maine and NB Border then the Trans Canada Highway to Fredericton, Moncton, and Nova Scotia.
Cabot Trail is amazing. Fortress Louisburg. South Shore and Peggys Cove

less my dirt time with the Military Police the east coast has been home since 1960

The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:21 PM   #12

I've driven from MA to Lubec, ME many times. Used to be a really nice (as in quiet/remote/private sites) campground there, North Bay that we would frequent. Closed now. Curious where you are going in Lubec as there are few other choices.

We've always gone 95 to Bangor then 395 which quickly becomes 1A to Ellsworth. In Ellsworth, MUST get into the left lane for a left turn onto Route 1. In the towns on the way you need to slow down but it's a good route with no RV restrictions.

Definitely recommend Campobello Island including FDR's place and the East Quoddy Lighthouse. On the USA side, West Quoddy Lighthouse - The eastern most point in the USA.

Lubec isn't the greatest way to Nova Scotia and agree that via Houlton is easiest. But from Lubec, double back to Route 1 north to Calais. Just north of town is a relatively new truck/RV border crossing that's way easier than the one in town. From St Stephen, there is a much improved Route Canada 1 to St John from year's past.

Love the comment that Maine starts in Brunswick - so true!

Old 03-26-2016, 12:45 AM   #13
smo

If you head North on the Maine Turnpike at York, you might want to get off at the I-295 Exit at Portland and stay on it to Augusta (Small section near Augusta becomes Maine T-Pike again before returning to I-95 North), From Augusta stay in I-95 to Bangor, getting off at I-395 to Bangor/Brewer across the bridge to Route 1-A to Ellsworth. You could leave Ellsworth on Route 3 to Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park for a visit before heading North on Rt.1 from Ellsworth.
As "Kadiddle" mentioned, while in Lubec you should cross over the bridge to Campobello, New Brunswick and visit President FDR's International Park. While there Herring Cove Provincial Park has nice RV campsites.
Also as you head from Lubec back North on Rt #1 toward Calais, you might want to take another side trip to Eastport (Rt 191) and visit Raye's Mustard Mill and the WACO Diner in town. The Seaview campground located across from the airport has some nice sites looking on the Ocean.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:35 PM   #14
RETIRED

Can't say I'm a big fan of Toll roads. They serve their purpose if your in a hurry but they are so boring.When we go to Acadia we take 495 to 95 thru New Hampshire to Maine Turnpike. Shughey00 is right about RT 1 south of Portland its a mad house.Lots to see but you'd have plenty of company. We take 295 thru Portland. Portland has quite a bit to it, Calendar island cruises, the Water front, and Bike paths. 295 will take you past Freeport and LLBean , the outlet$ and "when pigs fly" bakery. In Brunswick we get off 295 taking 196 to Rt 1 youll go thru Bath-ship yards,Wiscasset- Red's famous lobster roll,past Boothbay, Damariscotta, Moodys Diner-plenty? of RV room,Rockland-Lobster festival,Isle Au Haut ferry, Camden and Rockport-$$$, Ellswoth-Union River restaurant, and my favorite -Acadia. Schodic Pennisula is off RT1 and a northrn part of Acadia. Its a 2 lane one way road along the coast often missed by people visiting Acadia.Wiscasset is probably the biggest hang up taking Rt 1 depending on the time of day you go thru. Hopefully youll be unhooking enough to get around without the 5er, plenty of CG along RT1. Wild Duck and Baileys are in Scarborough just south of Portland , Camden Hills SP is north of Camden, Timberland is on the road to Acadia, Bar Harbor CG is on the island check them out all will need reservations except Bar Harbor its first come first serve

2015 Jeep Cherokee
2016 Ford Race Car Red 350HD Cargo Van HR DRW EXT DIY Daytripper "My Little Red Corvette"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 03:24 PM   #15

Also...time it so you head North during the week if possible. Avoid Friday after say 2:00 and Saturday. This is pure madness in the Summer. The difference between Monday through Thursday verses Friday/Saturday is no comparison.
If your schedule allows.
Never head south on Sunday...worse than the trip North.
Again...we never do either of these in tourist season...EVER.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:49 PM   #16
RETIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shughey00 View Post
Also...time it so you head North during the week if possible. Avoid Friday after say 2:00 and Saturday. This is pure madness in the Summer. The difference between Monday through Thursday verses Friday/Saturday is no comparison.
If your schedule allows.
Never head south on Sunday...worse than the trip North.
Again...we never do either of these in tourist season...EVER.
X2,3 and 4

2015 Jeep Cherokee
2016 Ford Race Car Red 350HD Cargo Van HR DRW EXT DIY Daytripper "My Little Red Corvette"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote