Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2016, 11:04 AM   #1

Route from Mass. to Maine

Looking to travel with my 30' fifth wheel from Massachusetts to Lubec Maine and would like to use Route 1 for a more scenic trip and stop different places along the way. At a height of 12'-6", am I going to have issues on this route? Has anyone done this and if so, any suggestions. It will just be myself doing this.
2021 Ford f150 XLT, 5L, Garmin RV760MT
Travel Companions - Zoey and Zeus
fayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:35 AM   #2
Wait till next year...

Shouldn't think so. Ran our rig from Acadia to Worcester last year without a problem. There are a couple of narrow main streets in Rockland(there is a bypass),Camden and Rockport, and a sharp right at the end of Main St in Ellsworth. Beats the Maine turnpike any day.
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:40 PM   #3
USN Desert Storm Vet

Send a message via Skype™ to bfhammer
The biggest issue will be the constant starting and stopping with traffic. I went up that route just with my truck over the 4th last year and it got so annoying we went back to the turnpike after a hour or two. It's pretty but tight for turns and traffic.
bfhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:10 PM   #4

I'm looking into visiting Novia Scotia as well and as I look at the campgrounds web sites they all talk about "Serviced Sites". Does anyone know what that means??
2021 Ford f150 XLT, 5L, Garmin RV760MT
Travel Companions - Zoey and Zeus
fayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:58 AM   #5

Camobello?

I recommend to go to Campobello. It is in Canada but was FDR's summer home. It is run by the US park service.
There is also a very nice Provincial RV park there. There is a ferry from St John New Brunswick over to Nova Scotia. Nice trip across the Bay of Fundy. Can accommodate big rigs.
235 nights camping this past 30 months
31000 miles
wnelsonfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayliss View Post
Looking to travel with my 30' fifth wheel from Massachusetts to Lubec Maine and would like to use Route 1 for a more scenic trip and stop different places along the way. At a height of 12'-6", am I going to have issues on this route? Has anyone done this and if so, any suggestions. It will just be myself doing this.
Took Rt. 1 last fall class c. No problems, in fact I don't remember going under any bridges.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayliss View Post
I'm looking into visiting Nova Scotia as well and as I look at the campgrounds web sites they all talk about "Serviced Sites". Does anyone know what that means??
Serviced sites have their own water, and sewer and power. Mactaquac Provincial Park has community stop for water and a pull up dump station.
Huge difference when you have to wait for unloading mother natures liquids.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:04 PM   #8

Nova Scotia & New Brunswick Ferry Fares | Bay Ferries

$8.50 per foot for vehicle and trailer combined

that's like as the Mayans say Cheapie Cheapie in American dollars - almost free at 30% exchange to your advantage.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:11 PM   #9

I live on route 1 in southern Maine. I don't even like driving it in my Sonata in the Summer.

I would consider maybe taking 95 north of Portland maybe then head over to the coast at some point. Nothing that is really too impressive south of Portland..just tourist traps and the traffic is downright horrid.

Also they are completely tearing up route 1 in Ogunquit and it will be one lane most of the early summer. It is already a nightmare in Ogunquit in the summer much less at one lane. I live in town..believe me it sucks. We head to inland NH for seasonal for six months and stay away from this area...period.

Now from say Brunswick north the coast of Maine is nice and maybe once you pass Freeport (south of Brunswick) the extreme tourist traffic may not be as bad on Route 1.

As locals we never drive route 1 in the summer..ever. Anything but. I know how to avoid the tolls on 95 as well as route 1. So take it from locals...heck no..not south of say Freeport at least.

Besides..the coast of Maine STARTS in Brunswick. South of Portland it is just cold Atlantic waters and pasty white tourists.....and o.k...the Nubble Light but you ain't making it there pulling a 5ver so...

Can't say about north of Brunswick for summer traffic...maybe another local up there can advise that stretch.
shughey00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
Serviced sites have their own water, and sewer and power. Mactaquac Provincial Park has community stop for water and a pull up dump station.
Huge difference when you have to wait for unloading mother natures liquids.
Some/most Provincial Camp sites do not have full service hookups. If you are planning a trip to N.S. google and request that a "Doers and Dreamers" book be sent to you.....Lists all CG's and sites/attractions of interest...... (J from N.S.)
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:35 PM   #11

I-95 North is divided highway. Once past Bangor its a straight easy run into Houlton Maine and NB Border then the Trans Canada Highway to Fredericton, Moncton, and Nova Scotia.
Cabot Trail is amazing. Fortress Louisburg. South Shore and Peggys Cove

less my dirt time with the Military Police the east coast has been home since 1960
Old 03-25-2016, 12:21 PM   #12

I've driven from MA to Lubec, ME many times. Used to be a really nice (as in quiet/remote/private sites) campground there, North Bay that we would frequent. Closed now. Curious where you are going in Lubec as there are few other choices.

We've always gone 95 to Bangor then 395 which quickly becomes 1A to Ellsworth. In Ellsworth, MUST get into the left lane for a left turn onto Route 1. In the towns on the way you need to slow down but it's a good route with no RV restrictions.

Definitely recommend Campobello Island including FDR's place and the East Quoddy Lighthouse. On the USA side, West Quoddy Lighthouse - The eastern most point in the USA.

Lubec isn't the greatest way to Nova Scotia and agree that via Houlton is easiest. But from Lubec, double back to Route 1 north to Calais. Just north of town is a relatively new truck/RV border crossing that's way easier than the one in town. From St Stephen, there is a much improved Route Canada 1 to St John from year's past.

Love the comment that Maine starts in Brunswick - so true!
Old 03-25-2016, 11:45 PM   #13
smo

If you head North on the Maine Turnpike at York, you might want to get off at the I-295 Exit at Portland and stay on it to Augusta (Small section near Augusta becomes Maine T-Pike again before returning to I-95 North), From Augusta stay in I-95 to Bangor, getting off at I-395 to Bangor/Brewer across the bridge to Route 1-A to Ellsworth. You could leave Ellsworth on Route 3 to Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park for a visit before heading North on Rt.1 from Ellsworth.
As "Kadiddle" mentioned, while in Lubec you should cross over the bridge to Campobello, New Brunswick and visit President FDR's International Park. While there Herring Cove Provincial Park has nice RV campsites.
Also as you head from Lubec back North on Rt #1 toward Calais, you might want to take another side trip to Eastport (Rt 191) and visit Raye's Mustard Mill and the WACO Diner in town. The Seaview campground located across from the airport has some nice sites looking on the Ocean.
smo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 01:35 PM   #14
Wait till next year...

Can't say I'm a big fan of Toll roads. They serve their purpose if your in a hurry but they are so boring.When we go to Acadia we take 495 to 95 thru New Hampshire to Maine Turnpike. Shughey00 is right about RT 1 south of Portland its a mad house.Lots to see but you'd have plenty of company. We take 295 thru Portland. Portland has quite a bit to it, Calendar island cruises, the Water front, and Bike paths. 295 will take you past Freeport and LLBean , the outlet$ and "when pigs fly" bakery. In Brunswick we get off 295 taking 196 to Rt 1 youll go thru Bath-ship yards,Wiscasset- Red's famous lobster roll,past Boothbay, Damariscotta, Moodys Diner-plenty? of RV room,Rockland-Lobster festival,Isle Au Haut ferry, Camden and Rockport-$$$, Ellswoth-Union River restaurant, and my favorite -Acadia. Schodic Pennisula is off RT1 and a northrn part of Acadia. Its a 2 lane one way road along the coast often missed by people visiting Acadia.Wiscasset is probably the biggest hang up taking Rt 1 depending on the time of day you go thru. Hopefully youll be unhooking enough to get around without the 5er, plenty of CG along RT1. Wild Duck and Baileys are in Scarborough just south of Portland , Camden Hills SP is north of Camden, Timberland is on the road to Acadia, Bar Harbor CG is on the island check them out all will need reservations except Bar Harbor its first come first serve
Old 03-26-2016, 02:24 PM   #15

Also...time it so you head North during the week if possible. Avoid Friday after say 2:00 and Saturday. This is pure madness in the Summer. The difference between Monday through Thursday verses Friday/Saturday is no comparison.
If your schedule allows.
Never head south on Sunday...worse than the trip North.
Again...we never do either of these in tourist season...EVER.
shughey00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 02:49 PM   #16
Wait till next year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shughey00 View Post
Also...time it so you head North during the week if possible. Avoid Friday after say 2:00 and Saturday. This is pure madness in the Summer. The difference between Monday through Thursday verses Friday/Saturday is no comparison.
If your schedule allows.
Never head south on Sunday...worse than the trip North.
Again...we never do either of these in tourist season...EVER.
X2,3 and 4