Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2017, 09:29 AM   #1

Route from PA to NC outerbanks

My wife and I are going to outer banks this month from Pennsylvania. A couple questions. First, in using mapquest I don't see any tunnels you have to go through, but speaking to someone yesterday, he said there is. I don't know the routes offhand l, but it was 95 to 1 to 13 and then not sure what the rest are. If anyone has traveled down there from the north could you tell me if there is a tunnel and and what route you would take to get around it. Second, I was thinking of staying at Camp Hatteras. I wanted to check out Corolla while down there, but it looks like it's almost an hour and a half away. Is there a campground anyone could recommend that might be in between Hatteras and Corolla or will I just have to take a long drive. We'll be there 5 days. Thanks
Brian217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:43 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You can't go through the tunnels in Baltimore (both 95 and 895). Take 695 around instead.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
You can't go through the tunnels in Baltimore (both 95 and 895). Take 695 around instead.

We definitely wouldn't be going down that far on 95. I should have asked the guy what state he was talking about when he said there was a tunnel. We would be going onto route 1 in Delaware.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:05 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

He may be talking about the Chesapeake bay bridge tunnel on 13.

CBBT Facts
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
He may be talking about the Chesapeake bay bridge tunnel on 13.

CBBT Facts

Yes, that is the one. Looks like we should be good for propane restrictions. Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:31 AM   #6
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian217 View Post
My wife and I are going to outer banks this month from Pennsylvania. A couple questions. First, in using mapquest I don't see any tunnels you have to go through, but speaking to someone yesterday, he said there is. I don't know the routes offhand l, but it was 95 to 1 to 13 and then not sure what the rest are. If anyone has traveled down there from the north could you tell me if there is a tunnel and and what route you would take to get around it. Second, I was thinking of staying at Camp Hatteras. I wanted to check out Corolla while down there, but it looks like it's almost an hour and a half away. Is there a campground anyone could recommend that might be in between Hatteras and Corolla or will I just have to take a long drive. We'll be there 5 days. Thanks
Depends on which part of PA you're coming from (you didn't mention your location in your post)...... From my past experiences, I will never, ever go through or around DC using any part of I95/495 again. You'll actually save time by driving a hundred miles out of your way. Corolla is part of the Outer Banks and can be difficult (and time consuming) depending on what day and what time. I've gone from Corolla to Hatteras in 30-45 minutes some times and found it so jammed with traffic that it really does take an hour to two to "get there from here" The bad traffic typically starts early Saturday morning with people checking out and the new folks checking in and there's just so much space on narrow two lane roads so timing your arrival and departure to avoid that will also save you time
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepMeep View Post
Depends on which part of PA you're coming from (you didn't mention your location in your post)...... From my past experiences, I will never, ever go through or around DC using any part of I95/495 again. You'll actually save time by driving a hundred miles out of your way. Corolla is part of the Outer Banks and can be difficult (and time consuming) depending on what day and what time. I've gone from Corolla to Hatteras in 30-45 minutes some times and found it so jammed with traffic that it really does take an hour to two to "get there from here" The bad traffic typically starts early Saturday morning with people checking out and the new folks checking in and there's just so much space on narrow two lane roads so timing your arrival and departure to avoid that will also save you time

Thanks for the tips. We are near Philadelphia, so it seems like we won't have to deal with 95 and Washington area at all.
We plan on arriving on a Friday so hopefully that will help with the traffic problems and we can plan on doing a trip to Corolla maybe on a Monday or Tuesday. Thanks.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:16 PM   #8

The advice to stay off the Rt.12 to Corolla on weekends is solid. Just a massive traffic jam in season...and not much fun on weekdays either...but better.
As to an alternate place...there is little available on the beach itself north of Hatteras but there is a decent park on Roanoke Island...near Wanchese called the Refuge. therefuge-roanokeisland.com/ and Roanoke/Manteo is worth a visit.
They have limited transient spots so suggest you reserve early if you want one.
Have a safe trip...you will love Hatteras!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 01:38 PM   #9

There's a very nice KOA on Cape Hatteras. As for tunnels, the only issue on the Chesapeake bay bridge tunnel is that they ask you to confirm that your propane tanks are turned off.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 02:03 PM   #10

Camp Hatteras is a great place. We love it. You have a choice between ocean side and sound side camping. We like sound side because you can see the water and have terrific sunsets. Can't see the ocean from the other because of the sand dunes. Expect some windy conditions. Especially on bridge crossing over sound from the mainland. Enjoy
twiggw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 03:58 PM   #11

We stayed in Corolla years ago and loved the area. If you can get up that it's a must. Wild horses in the beach are amazing. You'll need four wheel drive or take the Jeep tour. You won't regret it.

We planned on staying at the KOA Hatteras this September but with our daughter getting married in a few months there goes our budget. Enjoy.
2018 Coachmen Chaparral 338 TSIK
2016 (Seasonal Site) Chariot Park Model
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
Jmsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:31 AM   #12

For the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel, you can travel across with an RV with propane but you will be required to pull over and shut the the tanks off before hand. I'm not sure of the cost but it's probably gonna be $20-30. I think it's a pretty cool ride across. There is a place along there to stop and park and enjoy the scenery too.
I can't comment on any campgrounds down in OBX because we haven't camped there yet but I'd like to.
-2012 Harley Davidson Street Glide (his)
-2004 Harley Davidson Fatboy (hers)
RVBikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:35 AM   #13

Having come from CT to the Outer Banks annually for more than 25 years, I suggest taking 295 to the Del Mem Bridge then 1 to Dover Del. I recommend staying off 13 through the DelMarVa using 113 instead. It rejoins 13 to the CBBT in Pokomoke city. Continue on 13 after the CBBT TO
Strigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:00 AM   #14

Havng done this route for more than 25 years I suggest the follwing. 295 to the Del Mem bridge. 95 to rte 1/13. Stay off 13 and remain on 1 through Dover. Pick up 113 to Pokomoke City where it rejoins 13 to the CBBT. There is a welcome center at the north end where you can pull in to turn off propane but nowhere on the south end. Remain on 13 to I64 to 168. Then 168 to 158 which will bring you to Kitty Hawk. Follow 158 to 12 then on til morning, I mean Hatteras island. This will seem like the longest part of your trip.
Personally I don't care to be squished into a KOA. Camp Hatteras is right next door. BTW neither is in Hatteras itself but in Rodanthe (the house used for the film is near the north end of town if it is still standing).
There are many interesting spots to see along the way including Chincotige island, the Wright Memorial to name a few. If you are into dry camping you can also camp near the Hatteras Light. I would also suggest a reservation ASAP. If you can I would also suggest late September as the ideal time to visit. Far less traffic.
Enjoy
Strigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:11 AM   #15

We stayed at Camp Hatteras and loved it, actually it is centrally located as we traveled the full length of the outer banks, I would highly recommend that, so much to see and do from the beach drive to see the horses, to the ferry to Ocracoke island, and all the light house in between, can't wait to go back! We must have been extremely lucky, we went during our daughters spring break, not a soul in site, NO traffic either. Jockeys Ridge was a nice stop also, Wright Bros. museum you'll be busy.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:20 AM   #16

Thanks for all the route info everyone. I do want to ask about the 4 wheeling in Corolla. We were thinking about renting 4 wheelers, but I've heard from a few about driving a 4 wheel drive vehicle. We do have a Honda CR-V all wheel drive. Would that work or should it be a vehicle with real 4 wheel drive?
Old 04-09-2017, 06:42 PM   #17

😕 It just dawned on me; I've lived in NC for 24 years and have never been to OBX. Even on a day trip.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:11 PM   #18

Our camping group has stayed at The Refuge. It is a lovely, small campground and the short term sites are all along the water (not ocean). When we stayed later as a couple, management had changed and was not as on top of things as should have been. It is close to The Lost Colony and Fort Raleigh but to go just about anywhere else (including the good restaurants) you will have to cross the bridge and then proceed down the OBX main drag which seemed to waste a lot of time. Most of our group said they would prefer to stay on the peninsula if we go again. Hope that helps.
bwodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:36 PM   #19

The tunnels around Chesapeake and Norfolk have inspection stations to pull over at to verify that your propane tanks are off. If you are looking for a central Campground try OBX Campground. It is behind the Wright brother's memorial on colington harbor road. If you're looking for a small quite Campground try Ocean Waves Campground. This is where we always stay when staying around Hatteras, it's beside KOA and CampHatteras.
BeachBowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:37 PM   #20

Hey Brian217 , Wife and I are leaving on either 20/21th for same trip as you ,only we are leaving from Canada, plan on staying at Oceanwaves CG. If you see some Canadian lic plates , give a wave might be us!!
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote