Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2014, 12:37 PM   #1

Route into Myrtle Beach (Ocean Lakes)

We are heading to Ocean Lakes for the first time next week and I want to double check my route and make sure it is OK.

Leaving Knoxville on I-40 east to I-26
I-26 to I-20

This is where it gets questionable. I have looked and some routes have me taking I-95 north from I-20 and getting off at HWY 327 and taking it to Hwy 76/301.
Another route shows to take I-20 until it ends and dumps me off on HWY 76 around Florence.

From either of those routes it is HWY 501 to HWY 544 and that should drop me off at the front entrance to Ocean Lakes.

Anyone have any advice on the I-20\I-95 part of the route? I guess I need to figure out if I take 20 till the end or take 95 a little north.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:22 PM   #2

Your route to I-26 is fine. When you get near Columbia, SC (around exit 100 on I-26) it will go from 2 lane to 3 lane (near the Harbison exit). It can be very congested through that area depending on time of day and the speed limit is 55 (IIRC)

So, the next steps are:

Take the I-20 East exit towards Florence. This is a right exit off of I-26, careful, it is a tight loop to the right and you have traffic from I-20 trying to merge onto I-26 so getting off I-26 can be a pain. You'll stay on I-20 East for about 77 miles.

Take the I-95 North exit toward Fayetteville. This exit will be before you get to Florence and it is a left lane exit. When you merge into I-95 you'll be merging from the left so watch the traffic on your right.

Go about 9 miles on I-95, exit right off of I-95 onto SC 327 (exit 170).

Go about 3 miles on SC327 and turn left onto state rd S-21-24. (don't worry, if you miss this turn, just keep going straight, it goes directly to US301/76, you'd then turn left onto 301/76)

Go about 6 miles, turn LEFT onto US301/76.

Go about 10 miles, stay RIGHT on US 576

Go about 4 miles, US 576 will merge with US 501

Go about 32 miles on US 501, turn right onto SC 544. (you'll go through a few towns on 501, when you get to Conway you aren't too far away. It's congested through there so be careful. You'll cross over the Intracoastal just after Conway. SC 544 is about 3 or so miles from the power plant(huge place). You'll turn right on SC544)

You'll go about 13 miles on 544 and it takes you directly to Hwy 17 Business. Again, it can get very congested in that area. You'll cross under Bypass 17 but just keep going. 544 goes directly into Business 17. When you get to 17, Ocean Lakes is directly across from the traffic signal. Google maps shows you taking a right onto 17, then a U turn, then turn right into the campground. Last time we were there you could just go straight across at the light directly into the campground. I haven't been there in a couple years so I'm not sure.
53jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:58 PM   #3

I take I20 to 501 in Camden SC. Take 501 to 378. 378 will bypass all of the bad trafic and will dump you on 501 past Conway and just a couple miles from 544. Turn right onto 544, once you pass wall-mart get in the left lane. When you come to 17 544 will have a turning lane on each side, you want to go straight which will be the center lane.

Welcome to Ocean Lakes.

The last thing you want to do is go through Conway, trafic is a nightmare.
378 becomea a 2 lane highway but you will still make good time, better time I think.

The route in the post above takes me 5 hours from my house in Gaffney SC. The route I layed out takes me 4.5 hours, is less turning and hunting for turns. Your choice.
harderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #4

I can't help too much, we live north of Myrtle Beach, but we were just there a month ago, and when gps or google maps tells you to make a right onto 17 and then make a u-turn, that is wrong. You can go straight across 17 into the Ocean Lakes entrance from the left lane of 544. Hope you have a great time. We love it there!
Luckyme502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by harderd View Post
I take I20 to 501 in Camden SC. Take 501 to 378. 378 will bypass all of the bad trafic and will dump you on 501 past Conway and just a couple miles from 544. Turn right onto 544, once you pass wall-mart get in the left lane. When you come to 17 544 will have a turning lane on each side, you want to go straight which will be the center lane.

Welcome to Ocean Lakes.

378 becomea a 2 lane highway but you will still make good time, better time I think.

The route in the post above takes me 5 hours from my house in Gaffney SC. The route I layed out takes me 4.5 hours, is less turning and hunting for turns. Your choice.
That does sound like a better option during the summer season. I don't know if there's the same volume of traffic this time of year, or not.

We used to just take 378 out of Columbia all the way during the busy time of year.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by harderd View Post

Welcome to Ocean Lakes.

I made an error in my directions. It is 521 in Camden, not 501. To clarify:

I20 to 521 in Camden.
521 to 378 in sumter.
378 to 501 out side of Conway
501 to 544 straight into Ocean Lakes
Old 09-05-2014, 09:38 PM   #7

It is easier for us to always come in SOUTH from Georgetown. No traffic, but from your location any of what has been suggested will work. The biggest factor will be the day you arrive!!!! If it is Friday, you will have some traffic in places. If it is Saturday, expect traffic nearly everywhere except coming in from the south. We've been going to MB for the last 26 years and that is by far the best route we've found.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53jimc View Post
Last time we were there you could just go straight across at the light directly into the campground. I haven't been there in a couple years so I'm not sure.
Yes, on 544 you can go straight across into the campground. While you are there, check out PirateLand about a 1/2 mile to the north. We've stayed there the last 4 years and like it. If you are into Mexican food, go north to Market Commons, about 2 miles up from OL, turn left off of 17 and in the middle of the development on the right is a place called NACHO HIPPO. Fantastic food. If you go south you can find the best burger joint in the area at a place called River City Cafe in Surfside Beach about 6 miles from where you are. Diagonally from that is Bubba's Fish Shack and the best fried grouper and hush puppies around. Also, up in MB is a new place called 2nd Avenue Pier..Great steaks. Dang, now I'm hungry and it's time for bed!!!
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:41 AM   #9

I drove through Pirate Land, they stack them in like cord wood. If you get on the website they list lots that can't open your awning or slide it is so tight. I would never stay there. My go to is Myrtle Beach Travel Park, a little quiter and no golfcarts unless you are permenant. On the beach, lazy river, pool, lake, huge snack bar and pavilion.

If you like the whole golfcart thing then Ocean lakes is the place. IMO
Old 09-06-2014, 01:03 PM   #10

We plan to check out other CG's while we are there, we selected OL's cause I could book specific sites and felt "safe" that way
Please feel free to keep the food suggestions coming, we like to eat
Old 09-14-2014, 09:47 PM   #11
Just Love to Camp

Check out Myrtle Beach Travel Park while there. It is our favorite By the way I am jealous. Wishing I was at the beach

2012 F450
Virginia
TheFordes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsey View Post
We plan to check out other CG's while we are there, we selected OL's cause I could book specific sites and felt "safe" that way
Please feel free to keep the food suggestions coming, we like to eat
You can do the same thing at Pirate Land, and you won`t trip over your car/truck when coming out of the RV.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:42 PM   #13

Traffic shouldn't be bad at the time you are going.
phillip252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53jimc View Post
Your route to I-26 is fine. When you get near Columbia, SC (around exit 100 on I-26) it will go from 2 lane to 3 lane (near the Harbison exit). It can be very congested through that area depending on time of day and the speed limit is 55 (IIRC)

So, the next steps are:

Take the I-20 East exit towards Florence. This is a right exit off of I-26, careful, it is a tight loop to the right and you have traffic from I-20 trying to merge onto I-26 so getting off I-26 can be a pain. You'll stay on I-20 East for about 77 miles.

Take the I-95 North exit toward Fayetteville. This exit will be before you get to Florence and it is a left lane exit. When you merge into I-95 you'll be merging from the left so watch the traffic on your right.

Go about 9 miles on I-95, exit right off of I-95 onto SC 327 (exit 170).

Go about 3 miles on SC327 and turn left onto state rd S-21-24. (don't worry, if you miss this turn, just keep going straight, it goes directly to US301/76, you'd then turn left onto 301/76)

Go about 6 miles, turn LEFT onto US301/76.

Go about 10 miles, stay RIGHT on US 576

Go about 4 miles, US 576 will merge with US 501

Go about 32 miles on US 501, turn right onto SC 544. (you'll go through a few towns on 501, when you get to Conway you aren't too far away. It's congested through there so be careful. You'll cross over the Intracoastal just after Conway. SC 544 is about 3 or so miles from the power plant(huge place). You'll turn right on SC544)

You'll go about 13 miles on 544 and it takes you directly to Hwy 17 Business. Again, it can get very congested in that area. You'll cross under Bypass 17 but just keep going. 544 goes directly into Business 17. When you get to 17, Ocean Lakes is directly across from the traffic signal. Google maps shows you taking a right onto 17, then a U turn, then turn right into the campground. Last time we were there you could just go straight across at the light directly into the campground. I haven't been there in a couple years so I'm not sure.

Just wanted to say thanks for this info, it was spot on.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmedik View Post
Yes, on 544 you can go straight across into the campground. While you are there, check out PirateLand about a 1/2 mile to the north. We've stayed there the last 4 years and like it. If you are into Mexican food, go north to Market Commons, about 2 miles up from OL, turn left off of 17 and in the middle of the development on the right is a place called NACHO HIPPO. Fantastic food. If you go south you can find the best burger joint in the area at a place called River City Cafe in Surfside Beach about 6 miles from where you are. Diagonally from that is Bubba's Fish Shack and the best fried grouper and hush puppies around. Also, up in MB is a new place called 2nd Avenue Pier..Great steaks. Dang, now I'm hungry and it's time for bed!!!
We didn't make it to Nacho Hippo but did meet some friends at River City Cafe. That was probably top 3 in the hamburgers I have eaten. I wanted to get back a second time but just couldn't find the time.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFordes View Post
Check out Myrtle Beach Travel Park while there. It is our favorite By the way I am jealous. Wishing I was at the beach
This was the one place we forgot to drive through and check out. I can safely say that next time we are in MB we will check it out. We had a pretty good time and it will likely be a somewhat regular trip for us.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:55 PM   #17

Glad to hear you had a good time. We were there last week of July/ first of Aug but we had already booked a condo. (Inlet Pointe, 2.1 mi south of Garden City Pier) The condo is directly across from the restaurants at Murrells Inlet. It is one of the best condo deals on the beach.

Also, since it is in Georgetown county, you can still use an EZ up on the beach. Beaches on that end are nowhere near as crowded as Dirty Myrtle, so they haven't had a problem with them. We left our frame up all week and just carried the cover back and forth. We chained our beach chairs to the boardwalk that crosses the dunes so as to not have to carry them. All we took back and forth were the coolers. Some folks didn't even chain their chairs, usually no one will mess with them.

Yep, I like RCC too, good stuff there.

That area has a lot of stuff to do and we have always enjoyed it. We may check out Litchfield next year since we now have a camper.

The condo we stayed in has a dock on Murrell's inlet and that Friday of our stay we really got into the flounder. We caught a ton of them right off the pier. That was the most fun fishing I've had in a long time. We're going to fry them up this weekend.

I know they have barefoot landing with all the shops up near North Myrtle, but there's also a big flea market down at Garden City. It's a lot of fun to go there.