Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2018, 09:47 AM   #1

Route suggestions. Niagara Falls to Bar Harbor Maine.

One leg of our summer trip will take us from Niagara Falls to Bar Harbor Maine. Any route suggestions would be welcome. We have a 38 ft class A towing a Jeep. I’m thinking about a stop over around Lake Champlain and another around Mt. Washington. We are used to Rocky Mountain grades. One concern is low clearances. Thanks in advance.
jeffv003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:34 PM   #2

It sort of depends on how much time you have to make the trip across.

Fastest way is I90 toll road across to I87 at Albany then north to Lake Champlain. You can cross into Vermont at the south end of hamplain or continue to the north end of lake Champlain. At the south end you can cross at Ticonderoga then north along the lake to Burlington VT then Pick up US2. At the north end you would pick up US2 and follow that all the way to Bangor ME then US1 and US3 to Bar Harbor. US2 will take you very close to Mount Washington. A more scenic route would be 104 across NY near the Lake Ontario Shore. It does go through Rochester so I would suggest taking I90 until you are east of Rochester then head north to 104. You can follow that until you get to I81, head north to Watertown then US3 to Plattsburgh then north to Champlain and pick up US2. Another way across the eastern part of NY would be to make your way to Rome NY then take 28 to 30 to 3 it is a drive through the mountains but it stays to the valleys quite nicely. There are lots of things to do along the way, if you have time for them such as the Adirondack Museum in Long Lake, the Olympic venues in Lake Placid, Whiteface Mountain and others.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:06 AM   #3

Other than staying on toll roads such as I90-NYS Thruway, I87, I95-Mass. Turnpike as quicker routes, Doug has hit the alternatives about as good as it gets, providing you have the time to meander the two lane roads. As far as overpasses etc. I am surprised you won't be using either a truck or RV suitable GPS to keep an eye out for you and safer travels. Sounds like a great trip, been to most the areas you have in mind, at separate times, with our first trip to NH and Mt. Washington planned for this September. Enjoy!
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:32 AM   #4

Thanks for the tips! We will likely avoid as many Interstates as possible.
jeffv003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:52 AM   #5

We did a Chicago to Niagara, Ontario to York, ME back in October. We took route 9 across Southern Vermont. Molly Stark trail or byway was very scenic in October. Other than that we stayed on the highways and made time.

York was awesome, we did not get up to Acadia though and would have liked to.
Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:04 PM   #6

We like Route 20 from Buffalo to near Amsterdam, NY as an alternative to the Thruway. Nice scenic road that passes through some pretty small towns.
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:28 PM   #7

Suggest staying at Lone Pine Campground just outside of Burlington, VT. Close to the lake, but not on it. Good facilities, two pools, nice people. Reserve in advance. Believe
the fall Coachmen owners group tour stays there. Lots to see and do in the general area.
Sounds like an awesome trip!
stellaandspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:33 PM   #8

Smile Route 2

We took Route 2 from Bar Harbor to Lake Placid a couple of years ago in our Class A towing. It is a beautiful scenic drive through beautiful smaller cities. We never experienced issues with overpasses, etc., but we do use a RV GPS...just in case. We stayed at the Mountain Lakes campground in Lancaster, NH as it is the closest campground to Mt. Washington. While in Mt. Washington, be sure to book the Cog Railway up the mountain. If you know the dates, I would suggest you book it NOW as it fills up quickly. We stayed at the Lake Placid/White Mountain KOA in Lake Placid. Also, while in Lake Placid, I suggest you purchase the “Passport” which provides admission to several of the different Olympic venues there. We spent an entire week there with no regrets whatsoever. We also drove to Saranac Lake which is beautiful! And...be sure to ride the ski lift and then take the elevator up 13 floors on the ski jump. Geesh...people that fly down that on 2 little skis have nerves of steel. Have fun - it’s a beautiful trip!
Old 05-09-2018, 08:13 PM   #9

You should check for events at Lake Placid as there are a couple that close off roads, such as the IronMan. There is a State park in Plattsburgh that is right on the beach of Lake Champlain. Over passes are not an issue. If you travel though the Saranac Lake/Lake Placid area do the Wild Center at Tupper Lake. I hope you have canoe/kayak with you. Lake Placid Brew Pub has great bar near the ski center. If you have Mt. Bikes there are excellent places like the bob sled/biathlon center.
ncvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:06 PM   #10

Hit up Ben & Jerry's $4 factory tour in Waterbury Vermont on your way through.
Locky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:20 PM   #11

If speed is not the goal and scenery is
from Downtown Niagara Falls , seek out The Niagara Scenic Parkway North bound, no low bridges limited access (Do Not use 104 E at this point several low bridges in the city)follow to end at Youngstown (Near Niagara River initially)Head East on Route 18 about thirty miles (runs on lake Ontario shore line)several small towns no traffic)follow until you are directed to Golden Hill State Park and the Lake Ontario Parkway(again lakeshore driving) heading East to Route 390 South exiting at rt104 East (city driving about 5 miles) after crossing over Irondequoit Bay you will again be on a divided highway take rt81 North to rt 781East to either rt 37(which runs along St Laurence river)to route 11 or just go to route 11 follow to either rt 22 to the Lake Champlain Ferry then vt 314s to US2 or go across on Rt 11 to rt 89 south to Burlington turning East on RouTe2 in South Hero follow to route I93S US 302E ToParkway rd in Bethel follow Me 26s ME219E and Me 133S to Us 202EWitnrop ME. North on 95 to 1A to ME3E Bar Harbor
Again if time is not of essence
I personally have made most of this trip from Niagara Falls to I93,
Many State Parks historic sites and scenery
tonyb1725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:44 AM   #12

On a side note: If you need to buy anything, i.e. a TV, etc. There is no sales tax in NH.
Duneit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:19 AM   #13

As far as Lake Placid goes, I would suggest highly The North Pole Campground on RT. 87, 12 miles outside of town and just a couple of miles past the KOA. Their "Pines" section with full hook ups is clean, peaceful, beautiful state park size large sites. They'll help you un-hook your toad and anything else. Stayed the past two August's there. The brew pub across from the ski jumps is called Big Slide, get it, haha! Great sandwiches and pretty good beers too. Lake Placid Brew Pub in on Mirror Lake Rd across from Mirror Lake. In the summer they have a large tent out front with music on the weekends. Great setting! If the OP is interested in hiking I would highly suggest going up Mt. Jo., I believe the 2nd right hand turn past the ski jumps. Incredible views though a bit challenging and maybe crowded. Read reviews on Trip Advisor "10 Things to Do in Lake Placid".
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 02:11 PM   #14

Last time I took the Ben and Jerry tour, I did not think it was worth the time or money.
TSman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 06:49 PM   #15
Wait till next year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSman View Post
Last time I took the Ben and Jerry tour, I did not think it was worth the time or money.
I go for the ice cream
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:33 AM   #16

They give you a small sample at the end, we got vanilla. They then sell all kinds of flavors in their store at retail list prices. It costs more than in my local grocery store.
TSman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:39 PM   #17
Wait till next year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSman View Post
They give you a small sample at the end, we got vanilla. They then sell all kinds of flavors in their store at retail list prices. It costs more than in my local grocery store.
Still I'd rather have my New York Super Fudge Chunk in Vermont on Rte 100 on my way to Cold Hollow and Stowe than a super market aisle
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:44 PM   #18

I happen to be in Maine and travel west into NH often. As others have said, Rt-2 is one of the best options... especially if you travel to Mt. Washington area on the way. I have done the opposite drive, heading to Niagra. I too would encourage a trip/stop to Ben and Jerry's on your way. A good stop in the Mt. Washington area is the Red Lantern Campground- Directly across from Santa's Village (sorry can't remember town; Jefferson? Gorham?). One of the cleanest we have ever stayed in.

Once you get to Maine/ Bar Harbor we prefer the KOA Oceanside. The other "local run" campgrounds just are not all that nice. Dollar for dollar you are better with the KOA. There is a second KOA called Woodlands. I have not stayed at this one- It is in a low spot, meaning standing water (bog/swamp) and we guess there are a lot of bugs there. And besides- you came for the ocean not woods!

Sites 123-131 are great- open and sunny sites that are easy to pull through. We feel 101-122 are a bit too crowded. Also, I suggest NOT getting a site on the water; 1. You can enjoy the view plenty from other sites without the extra money. 2. People are constantly walking by your sight looking at the water- feels like they are watching you. 3. WIND- much more wind at waters edge.
4. Sorry- I can't share my favorite site number. Can't afford the competition for it! You can message if you would really like to know... As long as we won't be there!

Days Traveled:2021-51 / 2020-43 / 2019-37 / 2018-30
CentralMePistol is offline   Reply With Quote