Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2018, 08:16 PM   #21

Even if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Also, if road sign says Parkway or Pkway don't go that way. Those are low clearance roads for cars only.
Even if they're not low-clearance, larger vehicles may be prohibited.

Back in the 1960s we got a ticket for driving on a parkway in a panel truck (like an SUV with metal in place of back and side windows). They may not be posted as No Trucks Allowed.

Larry
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:32 PM   #22

I have the Garmin RV 770 - love it.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:56 AM   #23
KJPapa

Allstays and RVtripplanner are web based aps that I have found to be very valuable over the past few years. Allstays started as a trucker info site and added RV info. It has a LOT of information including stuff like hotels with truck parking in case you decided to break a long trip with a quick pull in and sleep. RVtripplanner is really good at recommending point to point routes. Both give the basic stuff like low bridges like the OP asked about.
2017-178
kjpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:32 PM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Try an app. called lowclearences.com
it might have a cost but very reliable.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:40 PM   #25

The wife uses good sams trip planner I am not a fan of gps on highway never needed one till it came in car it is nice especially in the city but darn thing keeps forgetting I tow 42 ft trl and sends me thru middle of town when I could have used a loop or other route get lost more now than when I looked at map before I left in mornings always got there very little getting lost r dozing until hear lady tell me make a legal u turn here
Old 05-03-2018, 10:17 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
An advantage for a GPS - it continues to work if your cell service drops. Not many of those left but it does happen.

As most have said - probably best to use both. And don't trust either one 100%.
In the mountain west, this is very true. Wound up on a gravel road that was designated a state highway in Montana. Lack of cell service left Google maps and Waze (a division of Google) useless. It was also open range so we were sharing the road with several head of cattle. They weren’t big on giving directions back to the main road.Craig
denfireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:43 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by denfireguy View Post
In the mountain west, this is very true. Wound up on a gravel road that was designated a state highway in Montana. Lack of cell service left Google maps and Waze (a division of Google) useless. It was also open range so we were sharing the road with several head of cattle. They weren’t big on giving directions back to the main road.Craig
All the google maps geo map data can de downloaded to your device. With that running you don’t need a cellular signal for display and navigation.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:15 AM   #28

Just bought the Magellan roadmate 9490 on Amazon refurbished for $63! It is $379 new. We will use that and rvtripwizard to plan the routes. The Magellan has lifetime maps and traffic when you hook it to wifi.
thesixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:49 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
All the google maps geo map data can de downloaded to your device. With that running you don’t need a cellular signal for display and navigation.
True. Google Earth as well. My experience in Montana was 40% of the state uncovered by cell phone service in the back country, including Glacier National park. During the wildfires last year, even more of the state was not covered as cell sites went down due to long duration power outages exceeding the backup battery times. Wildland fire teams I work with had only two way radio communication for the entire time they were up there. Downloading large areas of Google Maps can bump up to the memory limits of your cell phone as well.
denfireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 09:30 AM   #30
"Curmudgeon"

Send a message via MSN to Trawlerphil Send a message via Yahoo to Trawlerphil
I use CoPilot with the RV profile on both my laptop (more real estate) and my cell phone.. It isn't just heights, on the way back from New England I decided to stay on 95 rather than get off approaching Baltimore as the CoPilot app directed. I bumped into a propane tunnel restriction that caused me a 20 minute detour through narrow city streets with a 31' 5th wheel. It wasn't pretty. I also use Streets & Trips 2013, WAZE, Google Maps and Microsoft maps.
Trawlerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 11:16 AM   #31
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawlerphil View Post
I use CoPilot with the RV profile on both my laptop (more real estate) and my cell phone.. It isn't just heights, on the way back from New England I decided to stay on 95 rather than get off approaching Baltimore as the CoPilot app directed. I bumped into a propane tunnel restriction that caused me a 20 minute detour through narrow city streets with a 31' 5th wheel. It wasn't pretty. I also use Streets & Trips 2013, WAZE, Google Maps and Microsoft maps.
Yep.. $500 fine from the mta police. Need to use 695 and go around.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:36 AM   #32

We double check our routes with the Rand McNally Truckers road atlas. This paper atlas has cleared truck routes highlighted in yellow. Great as backup for either a GPS or Google.
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:55 AM   #33
I Break Everything

I use Google prior to heading out and occasionally on the phone while out. We also have a Garmin for the RV. Lots of times it takes you on some weird routes. The routes have nothing to do with being in an RV or not.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:43 PM   #34

I'm in the market for another RV GPS. My Rand McNally 7710 has had it. I would not feel comfortable getting another Rand McNally. Any suggestions out there?
atemplesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:27 AM   #35

I always start out checking out routes on my laptop using Google Maps. I may ask for suggestions on this forum for big trips, such as heading to Mt. Rushmore this summer and getting great advise to avoid I90 through Chicago. Once on the road we have been using a Magellan GPS, I believe a RV-9165 (older model). This GPS has served us well throughout the Northeast and as far south as Atlanta. However, I picked up a Garmin RV660 this past January on Amazon for $219. Other than the great price on the Garmin I don't know why I'm abandoning the Magellan except I can not get it to upgrade the lifetime maps as advertised. While on the road and if we get suspicious of the route or the next turn point my DW will use either Google or Waze on her phone. Often we'll have Waze running to keep up with traffic issues, especially around busy city areas such as Atlanta or Nashville. Great with accident tie ups ahead warnings.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:00 AM   #36

Thanks for your reply. I noticed in my last mailing of Camping World they have a Garmin RV770 going on sale. I might check that. I have a Garmin car GPS and love it. Thanks again.
atemplesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:25 AM   #37

atemplesr, you might want to check out Amazon for the Garmin RV770. Some good reviews too giving pros and cons compared to the RV660. I have found checking out Amazon and not buying sometimes I'll get a link on my email with now a even lower price. Did that with a 30' 50amp extension cord and 50 to 30 pigtail, original price look up around $90. Got a link on my Yahoo Mail (side bar advertisement/link) now both $67!, or less than half than CW or any other source I could find.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote