Old 03-15-2016, 05:02 AM   #21

I used the Fort McHenry tunnel in Baltimore for over twenty years pulling doubles thru them and yes it ALWAYS seem tight. When pulling our 5th wheel we always use the 301 route instead of 95.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:06 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhduh camping View Post
Edit: 95, 495, rt1
I need a clarification if you please, How should I get to 301 from Rt.1 ?

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:22 PM   #23

Shortly (3 miles?) after crossing Chesapeake and Delaware canal would will see exits for 896/301 follow signs. You might be able to take 95 to 895 at Newark to 301. I have hardly ever taken 95 to Newark so unsure of that.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
Nights camping in 2016: 19 nights
Miles traveled in 2016: 2,575
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:04 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhduh camping View Post
Shortly (3 miles?) after crossing Chesapeake and Delaware canal would will see exits for 896/301 follow signs. You might be able to take 95 to 895 at Newark to 301. I have hardly ever taken 95 to Newark so unsure of that.

Thanks, I remember seeing 896 last weekend as I passed by.

Old 10-24-2016, 04:55 PM   #25

Baltimore Harbor Tunnel - Update

After several attempts I received a reply from the MDTA (Maryland Department of Transportation) regarding driving my motorhome through the BHT.

My last trip to Odonton took over three hours down and almost four hours back due to traffic tie ups and accidents. All on I-95. However, none of those would have been avoided by taking 895 but taking I-695 does add a lot of time to the trip.

This is my email to the MDTA:

"I am trying to get a definitive answer as to wether my motorhome is allowed in the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel.

On the tunnel web page I see that I am well within the height and width restrictions. My only concern is my propane tank that is rated for 12.2 gallons but I believe that motorhome propane tanks are only filled to 3/4 capacity which would be less than 10 gallons. A gallon of propane is 4.2 pounds so my maximum propane load would be about 42 pounds.

The restrictions state in part ”Vehicles carrying bottled propane gas in excess of 10 pounds per container (maximum of 10 containers),” are restricted. This is the part I do not understand."

"We appreciate your interest in the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel. As you are aware, vehicles carrying bottled propane gas in excess of 10 pounds per container (maximum of 10 containers), bulk gasoline, explosives, significant amounts of radioactive materials, and other hazardous materials are prohibited from using both the Fort McHenry and ​Baltimore Harbor tunnels. It does not matter whether or not the bottles are turned on or off. If you do not exceed 10 pounds per container, you would be permitted through the tunnel.

For additional information regarding these restrictions, please call 410-537-1374.

Thank you again for your email, and please let us know if we may assist you further.

Division of Communications"

I have yet to use the other route suggested to me because I was either running late or I suspected I would encounter high winds when crossing the bay on the bridge.

Since my REV is well under 5 tons I have been using the EZ Pass express lanes in MD without problems so far. I have a weigh ticket of 8900 lbs.

Bobby

Old 10-24-2016, 05:23 PM   #26
Site Team

People have been stopped and checked/ticketed at the BHT. The question you have to ask yourself, is how much time will I lose if I am stopped and checked and how do I prove that I have less than 10 lbs. Remember the people who will be doing the checking are not chemistry professors and may look at a big tank and a gauge and determine you are over 10lbs.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:27 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
People have been stopped and checked/ticketed at the BHT. The question you have to ask yourself, is how much time will I lose if I am stopped and checked and how do I prove that I have less than 10 lbs. Remember the people who will be doing the checking are not chemistry professors and may look at a big tank and a gauge and determine you are over 10lbs.
Well if you are going to bring a higher level of intelligence into my previous post then I have to concede that you shot a huge hole into my plans and probably saved me the cost of a citation.

I should have let my wife do the simple math.

FWIW, the BHT could save me an hour each way. The trip in a car can be less than two hours using that tunnel.

My Camping World/ Good Sam GPS still directs me to take the BHT.

Thanks for your insight.

Bobby