Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2016, 05:39 PM   #1

SE PA to Odenton, MD

I will be making one day trips to Odenton, MD from Media, PA.

I am looking for suggestions and advice on the most appropriate routes for a there and back in one day. I would rather save an hour by paying a toll but I do enjoy scenic routes.

I have seen previous discussions about similar trips but I became confused from all of the suggestions and probably because I am not familiar with the area in Maryland.

I know that I can't take my motorhome through the Baltimore Harbor tunnel but I don't know about other restrictions.

I am also a bit unclear about the EZ Pass lanes in Maryland. Can I just use the Express EZ Pass lanes or do I need to go through the regular toll booths. I have seen signs indicating a 5 ton limit in certain lanes. My actual weight is below 5 tons but my GVWR is well above that.

Thanks in advance,

Bobby

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 06:32 PM   #2

That is a trek for a day outing.
what time of day would you be going through Baltimore?

You will have to get off 95 and go around Baltimore on the beltway (695). Either way (the west or east would be fine though going East would get another toll when you go over the Francis Scott Key bridge there). Rush hour would be very slow no matter which way you go.

There is no weight restrictions that I am aware of, but I think they have the big trucks use the ez pass only lanes located on the right end of the toll plaza. I see the trucks going through those all the time. I would just follow them if you are not sure. I have used those lanes with just my car, so they are not truck only lanes.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post

You will have to get off 95 and go around Baltimore on the beltway (695). Either way (the west or east would be fine though going East would get another toll when you go over the Francis Scott Key bridge there). Rush hour would be very slow no matter which way you go.

There is no weight restrictions that I am aware of, but I think they have the big trucks use the ez pass only lanes located on the right end of the toll plaza. I see the trucks going through those all the time. I would just follow them if you are not sure. I have used those lanes with just my car, so they are not truck only lanes.
Thanks for the info.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:27 AM   #4

Kudos to Maryland employees

What I am about to relate could have been an episode on the Twilight Zone.

This morning my called several agencies in Maryland to inquire and confirm out travel routes. These included the MD Dept. of Transportation, the police, the Harbor tunnel and the bridge authority. I may not have the actual correct agency names but they were all great.

In each call the phone was answered quickly and she spoke with live people. All she spoke with very helpful and gave her all the information she asked for.

The entire process took less than ten minutes.

Sure wish Pennsylvania could emulate Maryland.

Bobby

Old 03-14-2016, 10:34 AM   #5
Site Team

Look at coming down 301 across bay bridge ( unless high winds). Then 97 to Odenton. Very scenic route, minimal traffic ( unless coming during morning rush hour) and no tolls.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:52 AM   #6

I'm with Flybob, I would take 95 to route 1 (DE) then catch 301 to the bay bridge. I know you say you're not concerned with tolls but it get expensive crossing Delaware line on 95 then Susquehanna river later on 95. Not to mention traffic on beltway!

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:56 AM   #7

Edit: 95, 495, rt1

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:42 AM   #8

Thanks guys. I will pass this on to my navigator.

We are pressed for time today so most interested in quickest trip this time whichever route that is.

I like the scenic route.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:58 AM   #9

You can use EZ pass with a camper so long as the plate is registered to your EZ pass.

Of important note. DO NOT go through the tunnels in Baltimore with propane tanks. They are prohibited. You will need to go around (rt 695)/Baltimore
TheGreatWaz00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:04 PM   #10

Should have followed advice posted here. Good Sam GPS took us right to the tunnel. Now sitting ny the entrance.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:23 PM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
Should have followed advice posted here. Good Sam GPS took us right to the tunnel. Now sitting ny the entrance.

Did you get stopped by the police?
Old 03-14-2016, 03:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Did you get stopped by the police?
We pulled into a service road/parking lot about ten yards before the tunnel. There was a police shack there with a friendly helpful officer inside.

He said we could have gone through the tunnel but he wouldn't let us drive back onto the roadway.

Gave us directions to 95 south via the service road. Eventually went through another tunnel. I don't know which one. Finally arrived at destination over an hour later than expected.

Navigator was fired. (Just joking) she spent the previous 30 miles telling me not to worry about the tunnel.

Roads were great until we got to Baltimore, then went to crap.

Old 03-14-2016, 04:24 PM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
We pulled into a service road/parking lot about ten yards before the tunnel. There was a police shack there with a friendly helpful officer inside.

He said we could have gone through the tunnel but he wouldn't let us drive back onto the roadway.

Gave us directions to 95 south via the service road. Eventually went through another tunnel. I don't know which one. Finally arrived at destination over an hour later than expected.

Navigator was fired. (Just joking) she spent the previous 30 miles telling me not to worry about the tunnel.

Roads were great until we got to Baltimore, then went to crap.

If you went through another tunnel- it was on 895 and you weren't supposed to go through that one either.

Funny that the cop admitted that they wouldn't have hassled you if you didn't willingly stop. Guess that's the price you pay for trying to be honest!

Next time, take the exit for I-695 to the south. There's a toll bridge, but it is so much better than the other side of 695.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
If you went through another tunnel- it was on 895 and you weren't supposed to go through that one either.

Funny that the cop admitted that they wouldn't have hassled you if you didn't willingly stop. Guess that's the price you pay for trying to be honest!

Next time, take the exit for I-695 to the south. There's a toll bridge, but it is so much better than the other side of 695.
Thanks. The tunnel we went through also had 18 wheelers in it.

I wanted to take 695 but my was certain that we were supposed to take 895.

Will try to take 695 on return trip tonight.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:30 PM   #15

Yes trucks go down through that tunnel too. They are kind of scary going through that tunnel next to you; feels kind of tight.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Yes trucks go down through that tunnel too. They are kind of scary going through that tunnel next to you; feels kind of tight.
They blew my doors off.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:07 PM   #17

Lol not surprised at that at all.
Did you notice the scrapes in the roof where trucks are a bit to tall to really be going through there??
Old 03-14-2016, 10:08 PM   #18

Quote:

We started out the trip planning to use your advice re: 695 but I think my wife may have gotten mixed up.

Thanks to all who replied with their suggestions.

We used 695 on the return trip and it was a pleasure. I didn't get to see much because it was dark and misty. Virtually no traffic, at times we did not see another vehicle heading north with us and not much heading south bound.

From now on it is 695 if in a rush but I plan to try the route suggested by Unduh camping and Flybob next time.

The Good Sam/Rand McNally GPS still wanted to take us through that tunnel on the way back. I also noticed that it thinks the speed limit is 55 and not the posted 65 on long stretches of highway.

I want to mention that my Sunseeker 2250 on the Chevy chassis was flawless on the trip and exhibited perfect road manners.

Thanks again for your timely help,

Bobby

Old 03-14-2016, 10:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Lol not surprised at that at all.
Did you notice the scrapes in the roof where trucks are a bit to tall to really be going through there??
No I didn't notice the scrapes , ha ha. I was too wasted by then to look around much. Hopefully I will not have an opportunity to look for the scrapes in the future.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:17 PM   #20

Quote:
We started out the trip planning to use your advice re: 695 but I think my wife may have gotten mixed up.

Thanks to all who replied with their suggestions.

We used 695 on the return trip and it was a pleasure. I didn't get to see much because it was dark and misty. Virtually no traffic, at times we did not see another vehicle heading north with us and not much heading south bound.

From now on it is 695 if in a rush but I plan to try the route suggested by Unduh camping and Flybob next time.

The Good Sam/Rand McNally GPS still wanted to take us through that tunnel on the way back. I also noticed that it thinks the speed limit is 55 and not the posted 65 on long stretches of highway.

I want to mention that my Sunseeker 2250 on the Chevy chassis was flawless on the trip and exhibited perfect road manners.

Thanks again for your timely help,

Bobby
Quote:
No I didn't notice the scrapes , ha ha. I was too wasted by then to look around much. Hopefully I will not have an opportunity to look for the scrapes in the future.
Hopefully not. Glad you had a safe trip and may your next one better.