Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2018, 04:51 PM   #21

Enjoy your trip!
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:06 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben31 View Post
Enjoy your trip!
Thank you
coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:34 PM   #23

When we stayed at Skidaway SP last year, we had dinner at Sweet Potatoes Kitchen about 15 minutes away. Absolutely wonderful food. Best Shrimp & Grits in a long time. Great fried chicken, too.
CampinKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:32 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampinKaren View Post
When we stayed at Skidaway SP last year, we had dinner at Sweet Potatoes Kitchen about 15 minutes away. Absolutely wonderful food. Best Shrimp & Grits in a long time. Great fried chicken, too.
Thank you for this tip
Is this in Savannah or on the outskirts of the city ?
Old 06-21-2018, 01:02 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by coney View Post
Thank you for this tip
Is this in Savannah or on the outskirts of the city ?
If memory serves me, more outskirts than city. Address is 531 Stephensen, Savannah. We chose Sweet Potatoes Kitchen as they We’re the closest restaurant with good reviews to Skidaway SP.

Safe travels
CampinKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:11 PM   #26

Huc a Poo's, and StingRay's. The only two places I eat.

Well, other than my son's house on Wilmington Island.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:33 PM   #27

Quote:
We made reservations for 3 nights. We will be coming down from Myrtle beach, so Not so sure we will be taking 95. Also not so sure we will be visiting Tybee beach, as we will be spending a week in Florida and then taking a Caribbean cruise, so we will have plenty of beach time, I thought Skidaway might be a good break from the beach. We have a 25' trailer, so getting in & out of the site and around the trees should not pose a problem. I will appreciate the shade these trees will have

I do appreciate all the comments so do keep them coming

Edit: looks like we will be taking 95 for at least the last part of the route from Myrtle Beach, But I am a New Yawka so traffic doesn't bother me

We have a 36ft fifth wheel so it shouldn’t be a problem getting around in the campground. The last time we were there it seemed like only the inner part of the campground had sewer. We enjoyed the campground and plan on going again this year
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:46 PM   #28

https://gastateparks.org/SkidawayIsland

like many GEORGIA parks, they've transitioned from the older 'pick you own site' model to the reservations system... good for some, different for others accustomed to showing up and just finding the site they like the best.... but good in that you 'know' you have a specific site when you arrive. Tit for Tat.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:31 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post

like many GEORGIA parks, they've transitioned from the older 'pick you own site' model to the reservations system... good for some, different for others accustomed to showing up and just finding the site they like the best.... but good in that you 'know' you have a specific site when you arrive. Tit for Tat.
Not really knowing the park, we chose site # 16 ( just water and electric). We will be there for 3 nights so our empty black & grey tanks should be sufficient. I plan on dumping on the way in and out
Old 06-21-2018, 06:45 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post

The new reservation system sucks. Impossible to get a decent site for more than 4-5 consecutive nights unless you book six months in advance.

Checked out Skidaway last year and found it pretty old and dirty compared to other state parks. And, it’s $49 a night when other parks are $32.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:23 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post

Checked out Skidaway last year and found it pretty old and dirty compared to other state parks. And, it’s $49 a night when other parks are $32.
That is interesting as my site is only $42
Old 06-23-2018, 10:33 AM   #32

Quote:
That is interesting as my site is only $42
Premium sites (mostly pull throughs) are $49, standard sites $42. Most other Georgia State parks are $32-$34 for all sites.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:19 PM   #33

Quote:
Premium sites (mostly pull throughs) are $49, standard sites $42. Most other Georgia State parks are $32-$34 for all sites.
I chose the standard site, as I will not have a problem backing in. We will only be there for 3 nights so I can dump my black tank on the way in and out. My 30 gallon black tank should last, and I carry a blue tote of I have to empty my 30 gallon grey tank once or twice
Old 06-23-2018, 03:58 PM   #34

Quote:
I chose the standard site, as I will not have a problem backing in. We will only be there for 3 nights so I can dump my black tank on the way in and out. My 30 gallon black tank should last, and I carry a blue tote of I have to empty my 30 gallon grey tank once or twice
Three nights no problem. We have 40 gallon tanks and even in a full hookup site don’t even attach the sewer hose until ready to leave. Have done several seven night stays without needing to dump until the end.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:22 PM   #35
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
The new reservation system sucks. Impossible to get a decent site for more than 4-5 consecutive nights unless you book six months in advance.

X 2 Just not a place I want to stay. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 10:10 PM   #36

Wife and I live in Richmond Hill, GA, just south of Savannah. There is Ft. McAllister State Park here, it is only 2 turns off of I-95 and about 30 miles from downtown Savannah. It is also much easier to get to this park rather than Skidaway Island, 2 turns off of the Interstate and Richmond Hill has only 6 traffic lights total; getting to the park off of I-95 you only encounter 3 of those and one is at the bottom of the ramp. You turn east off of Exit 90 onto Hwy 144, go thru the next 2 lights and stay on Hwy 144 until you intersect Spur 144 on your left (Marathon Gas Station), make that turn (#2) and drive to the park. Spur 144 ends at Ft. McAllister State Park. It is located on the Ogeechee River which you will travel along as you drive to the park.. Fish Tales Restaurant and the marina is maybe a half a mile before the entrance to the park. To get into historic downtown Savannah, you merely go back to I-95, drive north to I-16 (10 miles from where you enter I-95), go east on I-16 which will dump you into right into the downtown historic district and the END of I-16, or if you miss the signs you will cross the bridge and see the Savannah riverfront as you cross into South Carolina. Savannah is FULL of old Live Oak trees with low hanging limbs and branches and narrow streets, it would not be advisable to take your RV or travel trailer into the historic district.
ABFJV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:23 PM   #37

Visit Cumberland Island. You get a passenger ferry in St. Mary's, about 100 miles south of Savannah. There's plenty of information on line.

Cumberland Island National Seashore (U.S. National Park Service)
www.nps.gov/cuis
St Marys is the gateway to Cumberland Island, Georgia's largest and southernmost barrier island. Here pristine maritime forests, undeveloped beaches and wide marshes whisper the stories of both man and nature. Natives, missionaries, enslaved African Americans and Wealthy Industrialists all walked ...
Try to get a reservation ASAP. Access is limited.

ALSO Ask around for some good BBQ joints. Heaven on a bun!
daddybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:34 PM   #38

Skidaway

Have been to Skidaway many times. We enjoy Wormsloe Plantation very near the park. Scenic drive and nice trails. If you are inclined, go to Bonaventure Cemetary. Beautiful place. For breakfast go across the bridge toward Savannah and turn into the first shopping center on the left at Ferguson St. Find the Omellete House and order from Lulu, our favorite waitress in GA. If you turn right on Ferguson, go to Thunderbolt area and find good food.
Captn.Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:09 PM   #39

Skidaway and Savannah

Savannah is awesome; nuf said. Skidaway Island is awesome, nuf said. With a couple of kids, I wouldn't be surprised if they never wanted to leave the camp. There is plenty to do if they are adventurous.
ronncda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:16 PM   #40

We camped at Skidaway eighteen months ago and had a great time. I would go back again.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote