Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2019, 07:54 PM   #1

Smokey Mountains (Elkmont) dump station question

This weekend, my family and I will be traveling from the Philly area to Elkmont Campground in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park (with a 1 night lay-over in VA).* Elkmont does not have water/sewer/electric, but their website references the Sugarland Visitor’s Center as their dump station.* Does anyone know if they have potable water available at the dump station to fill my FW tank?* I do not want to travel 6.5 hours from VA to Elkmont with a full FW tank if I don’t have to.
Thanks in advance,
Eric
hinkle_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:12 PM   #2

Don't know for sure, but it doesn't look like, based on their website:

Dump stations with potable water are located at Cades Cove, Cosby, Deep Creek, Look Rock, and Smokemont campgrounds. In addition, there is a dump station located across the road from the Sugarlands Visitor Center, approximately six miles from Elkmont Campground.

https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvis...ry-camping.htm
Old 06-13-2019, 10:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchLiebeBier View Post
Dump stations with potable water are located at Cades Cove, Cosby, Deep Creek,
Not sure I would take a drink from Cosby. Enjoy your trip.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:54 PM   #4

I would give them a phone call and ask. I am sure we didn't travel there with a full tank, but I really don't remember. We were there for 4 days about 5 years ago.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:13 AM   #5

I was there in 2017 and they do have potable water at the visitor center. But I would still call to verify.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:11 PM   #6
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinkle_e View Post
Does anyone know if they have potable water available at the dump station to fill my FW tank?
There is a 2-hole dump station with potable water available. IIRC, it's on your left as you enter. Great campground. Be sure to visit the stables. That's where they sell ice.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:27 PM   #7

Love Elkmont

We are dry campers, BUT Elkmont is a gem, we have been going there at least once a year since 1980.
NormTn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:11 PM   #8

You will love Elkmont. that was our vacation spot for over 30 years. Fly fishing is great, hiking is great, just getting in the creek is great but a little chilly at first. If you want a fun hike, make Reservations at Mt. LeConte. There are numerous trails to hike up and back. You spend the night, have dinner and breakfast. Great experience and if you have kids, it is a must. When we did it, we saw bears (we did not bother the and they did not bother us), deer, turkeys, and you could see just about anything. The Quiet Walks are nice also, they have a pull off and you can just go for a nice easy hike. If the time of year is right, you may want to go to Cherokee and see the outdoor play - Unto These Hills - it is about the Trail of Tears but very well done. I also took a very large tarp - 60x80 and covered our entire campsite - made for meeting lots of people as it can be very moist there. A hike to Alum Cave Bluff is a must also. As you can see, we enjoyed the park, the wildlife and nature. There is also Pidgeon Forge and Gatlinburg with all the tourist stuff - wineries, Fanny Farkles, Mahalia's Kitchen (candy). Eat at Bennet's BBQ, Huck Finns, Apple Barn for some good food. There is a new thing in Gatlinburg - Anakeesta - provides a great view of everything and there is a Skywalk that is the longest suspension bridge in North America.
Have fun and enjoy the memories. Also, be sure you keep your windows up in your RV or tow vehicle - we did not one evening and a bear went into our brand new car and finally out but it did not hurt anything. The camera was still in the car so no pics but a very small dent in the driver side top where he held on to flip down into the car from the roof.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:14 PM   #9

Elkmont is on our bucket list.
We're a 23' TT. Any size issues?
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:34 PM   #10

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I'll post back after we set up on Sunday. We're a 33' travel trailer and had no issues with our reservation.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:55 PM   #11

We only camped there in a popup and in a 20 ft Hi-Lo. The spaces are tight for slideouts and I never even tried it with any of my fivers. If you can get F8 - go for it. It is very difficult to get but it is in the back, on the creek and is a larger site.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:25 PM   #12

We're D2. According to the map it "accommodates larger rvs". Hopefully we have slide and awning clearance.
Looks like I might get lucky...
https://www.campsitephotos.com/campg...s/elkmont-d002
Old 06-16-2019, 09:54 PM   #13

We made a stop at the Sugarlands Visitor Center 28 April of this year.

There looked to be a fair amount of road construction within the center grounds itself…possibly repaving work.

Traffic patterns were altered from normal. I would think that is completed by now.

We enjoyed the area so much that we will be there again in the same time frame in 2020.
Creedmore P Crawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:34 AM   #14

Well...missed the access road for the dump so we're ruffin' it with no water in the tank. Easy access to potable in the campground though. The site is definately large enough for our rig and the park is beautiful.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:19 PM   #15

We stayed at Cades Cove and Smokemont Campgrounds. Had a very positive experience at both locations.

This is Cades Cove. The lower left corner in the picture is the edge of the road we were walking down...we did not dawdle...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2330.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	591.4 KB
ID:	207576
Creedmore P Crawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:21 PM   #16

For anyone interested. Entrance to the dump station is here. It is one way in, same way out, with a loop at the top. Very tight squeeze but definately do-able...Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190619-211709_Maps.jpeg
Views:	175
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	207809
Old 07-31-2019, 11:56 AM   #17

You might want to look at Greenbrier campgrounds just outside Gattlinburg. very nice with full hook ups. spent a week there and loved it. not too fat from the entrance to the park. Pigeon forge river has great white water rafting.
mike830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 01:46 PM   #18

Headed there in 10 days. Never been there. Im happy to hear you liked it.
bearcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:23 PM   #19

Yes, once you turn on Fighting Creek Gap Road at Sugarlands Visitor Center the dump station will be on the left a little ways past the visitor center.

There is a dump station with flush water and a fresh water fill station just past the dump.

2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2022 Ford F-350 Lariat, 4x4, CC, SRW, 7.3L
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:06 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinkle_e View Post
This weekend, my family and I will be traveling from the Philly area to Elkmont Campground in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park (with a 1 night lay-over in VA).* Elkmont does not have water/sewer/electric, but their website references the Sugarland Visitor’s Center as their dump station.* Does anyone know if they have potable water available at the dump station to fill my FW tank?* I do not want to travel 6.5 hours from VA to Elkmont with a full FW tank if I don’t have to.
Thanks in advance,
Eric
According to their website, there are potable water spigots are located at each restroom. You will need to carry water to you camper and pump it into your fresh water tank with a 12 volt pump (use of hoses is not permitted).
coney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount