Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2016, 06:57 AM   #1

Southern FL free overnight parking

Hello. We are heading from Charlotte NC down to the FL Keys for spring break next month and I'm looking for some options for a place to get some rest for a few hours. We usually try for a Cracker Barrel but it looks like the locations in south FL do not allow overnight parking. Walmarts seem to be off-limits down there too.
We will stop for the night somewhere between West Palm and Miami. A rest area would be an option but the state says overnight parking is prohibited, although I've also read where they typically just enforce that for cars and not for RVs and trucks.
Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:16 AM   #2

Travel j , pilot, and truck stops usually have places to park overnight. I have used them a few times. One I parked as far back as I could beside another RV and was not too noisy, I'm a heavy sleeper though and can sleep anywhere.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:06 AM   #3

We have utilized a Walmart in Fort pierce, Fl & there were close to a dozen rigs there, no issues, large lot, outskirts utilized to overnight.

Also a Walmart in "the Villages' near picking up the turnpike, more central Florida. We sometimes travel out of Atlanta late & get down into Florida late.

This past Christmas holiday, we did one night at Markham park in Ft Lauderdale (relatively cheap $26 I think), able to come in late, right off highway.

The closer to Miami, the harder to find options.

Markiemark
Markiemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:01 PM   #4
Christ follower

Almost any of the major truck stops will let you as long as you don't run outside generators or put out slides. Ive stayed in Wal-Marts that "Didn't Allow" RV's but after stopping and buying a few bags of groceries, I've asked the manager and stated I would be gone by 8am, I've never been told no. Spending few $$ and asking permission can go a long way. Post up your experience because I'll be going down there to the Keys several times this summer from Charleston SC and my parents will be going down from Charlotte with us in their RV
"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." Ephesians 4:13
7.3Excursion4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:28 AM   #5

Get the Rvparky app. It will show all available places to stay, including Wal-Mart's. And it's free.
Mikele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikele View Post
Get the Rvparky app. It will show all available places to stay, including Wal-Mart's. And it's free.
Thanks. I do have that app and it is good. I also have a few others and I've found (at least in Southern FL), there are some discrepancies in the data. One app says overnighting is not allowed, and another says it is ok. Part of the problem is that many of these apps are user-feedback-driven, so if a location has not been updated since 2011, even though parking was allowed back then, the policy may have changed.

That's what prompted this post. I was hoping for some actual recent feedback from someone who stopped in the same area.

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
Old 04-04-2016, 06:40 PM   #7

Update: We just completed our trip to the Keys. Drove the first day from Charlotte, NC to Florida City, FL. The Cracker Barrel allowed overnight parking, and thus got our dinner and breakfast business. Great spot to stop (although there was some road noise).
On the way back home at the end of the week, we stopped at another Cracker Barrel in Pooler, GA. Cracker Barrels are always my first choice.

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL

Tags
parking