Old 01-06-2016, 03:47 PM   #21

You can stay ON the beach ~~ 20 yards from the ocean at many CGs in Myrtle. I live close and prefer Myrtle Beach Travel Park. Will set the 5er up for relatives there. Best to be back 2nd or 3rd from the beach though IMO. We live at the beach so only look for beach camping in Jan / Feb (we leave Sunday for FL). If the Outer Banks are of interest we stay on the sound a week in October. A great CG in Frisco NC and we have water 30' behind the coach.

Old 01-06-2016, 04:01 PM   #22

Check out the Outer Banks! I highly recommend Camp Hatteras RV Resort in Rodanthe, not far from the famous Inn at Rodanthe, featured in the Nights at Rodanthe movie with Richard Gere and Diane Ladd. Mark and I are members of the campgrounds. The Outer Banks is well known for the Wright Brothers and five lighthouses -- Currituck, Bodie Island, Cape Hatteras, Ocracoke, and Cape Lookout. Bodie and Hatteras each have black and white stripes while Lookout has black diamonds. From Hatteras, you can get on a ferry, even with your travel trailer, to Ocracoke Island, and then get on another ferry to Cedar Island. Upon arrival, get on Highway 12 and then Highway 70. Turn left on Harkers Island Road where it will lead you to the Harkers Island. The Cape Lookout lighthouse is on that island. If you rather not, just stay on Highway 70 through Beaufort and Morehead City.

Of course, it's up to you if you want to go to the Outer Banks It's our home away from home during the summer time. We are already looking forward to our annual two weeks' vacation there.

If you have questions, please do feel free to contact me via PM.

pulled by 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
OBX Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:27 PM   #23

We like staying in Townsend, TN. They call it "The quiet side of the Smokies". The town is about 20 minutes from Pigeon Forge, but you don't have near the people. Also, there are no chain restaurants in Townsend, just local flavor. There is a decent grocery store. We have camped at Lazy Daze Campground. Try to get a site right on the Little River. There is plenty of shade and each site on the river has a covered picnic table. This is very close to Cades Cove, with plenty of hiking, drives, and historical buildings to see. We often see deer, bears, fox, and other wild life. There is a nice hike to a waterfall inside Cades Cove. When it is warm enough, there are plenty of tubing companies that provide tubing on the Little River. Twenty minutes or so to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. You can head over there for the more commercial establishments, but sometimes traffic is horrendous there, so we try to avoid it.

We also stayed at a COE campground along the border of NC and TN years ago. It was near the French Broad River, where we went white water rafting. We had a pop-up then and just loved that small campground. I cannot tell you what town it was located in though, because that was over 20 years ago.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:40 PM   #24

Whether you go to the mountains or to the beach in the summer, you'll probably need to make reservations.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:54 PM   #25

NC and SC camping

We have stayed at Deep Creek near Bryson City, TN and Great Smokey Mountains Deep Creek Lodge & Creekside Tubing. Right on the creek and they rent tubes. Great place for kids and adults. You can drive up into GSM park about 2 miles away and tube all the way back to campground. Also can go to Nantahala for white water rafting and ride GSM Railway. Great train display in Bryson City. In SC we have been to James Island County Park in Charleston https://www.ccprc.com/665/Hours-Fees. Great park, lots of bike paths, playgrounds, lake, climbing walls and very near Charleston. We have also stayed at Pirateland Campground in Myrtle Beach. We could see the ocean from our campsite and only had to walk a short distance to be on the beach. Very large campground, nightly golf cart parades during summer, pool and lazy river, outside. Good luck and hope you have great camping experiences!
Old 01-06-2016, 05:03 PM   #26

Watching this.
Wife and I both have spring break off, wanting to go south.
Too much snow up here.

We're thinking maybe Yellowstone, but read, it'll be just like home!
So that's out.
Maybe Cali or south east.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 01-06-2016, 06:48 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingGator View Post
We like staying in Townsend, TN. They call it "The quiet side of the Smokies". The town is about 20 minutes from Pigeon Forge, but you don't have near the people. Also, there are no chain restaurants in Townsend, just local flavor. There is a decent grocery store. We have camped at Lazy Daze Campground. Try to get a site right on the Little River. There is plenty of shade and each site on the river has a covered picnic table. This is very close to Cades Cove, with plenty of hiking, drives, and historical buildings to see. We often see deer, bears, fox, and other wild life. There is a nice hike to a waterfall inside Cades Cove. When it is warm enough, there are plenty of tubing companies that provide tubing on the Little River. Twenty minutes or so to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. You can head over there for the more commercial establishments, but sometimes traffic is horrendous there, so we try to avoid it.

We also stayed at a COE campground along the border of NC and TN years ago. It was near the French Broad River, where we went white water rafting. We had a pop-up then and just loved that small campground. I cannot tell you what town it was located in though, because that was over 20 years ago.
I focused my search on Cades Cove/Townsend last night. I'm mesmerized by Cades Cove. It may be the most beautiful place I've ever been. Sites could be pricey which is why I was seeing other recommendations. I have a feeling we'll end up in that area though. I didn't get nearly enough time to explore the cove.

I know I'll be going during prime time, so I'll be making reservations very soon.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:29 PM   #28

Take a look at the KOA in Townsend, we go there every fall. All sites have elec/water/cable/wifi, and most have sewer. Some spots back up to river. Playground, pool, hayrides, movie night, and probably the nicest showers I have seen. Less than a mile to the National Park entrance. Definitely need reservations.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:29 PM   #29

If you are heading to Charleston, SC, I recommend you camp at James Island. Campground is great and easy access to all the sights in Charleston.

Have a fun safe summer of camping.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:46 PM   #30

Campfire Lodgings in Asheville has some of the most beautiful views I've ever seen; easy access to hiking, as well as Biltmore House and the Asheville Arts District. One of our favorites. We like Frisco Woods campground near Hatteras; it's on the sound rather than the ocean, but actually has trees and a little separation between sites with full hookup.