Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #1

Spring Break Trip -- smoky mountians

Thinking of taking the kids camping for spring break in the smoky mountains. Anyone stated at Tremont Outdoor Resort. Or have another campground in the area that they like.

Thanks
2012 Wildwood 26BH XLite
20 Nights campled in 2011.
25 Nights Planned for 2012!
pandkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The Smoky Mountains are several thousand acres. Tremont Outdoor Resort could be in any of two states, and a bunch of towns/counties. Since you asked about the area, would help to know what town that is near, or what area. If Tremont is the town, I apologize. It just helps to get an answer on here when you post more info. Not everyone has time to go searching the web for where you might be staying.

Congrats on the new camper, and make sure you camp at least one week-end at home before you take a long trip.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:26 AM   #3
(Kim)

Congrats on the new trailer!!
I am just as curious as you about a camping vacation near the Smoky Mountains.
If you do go, please take alot of pictures so you can post on here!!

DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #4

I don't recommend it. But I'm a big chicken! We toted our TT through the Smokies last summer. NEVER AGAIN!!! I have discovered I DO NOT like the mountains!!!!
Zhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #5

We stayed here several years ago in a popup. Very nice place in Townsend, Tennessee which is the quiet side of the Smokies. Gatlinburg is about 17 miles away if you want to visit. This is the place to stay if you are visiting this area. Just don't go over the mountain with your trailer. Come in from the north.
brygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:18 PM   #6

If you are going to stay in a private campground in Townsend the hands down best is Townsend Great Smokies KOA. It is across the river from Tremont, If Tremont is a resort, TGSKOA is heaven. It's more expensive but well worth it. If you'll tell me what you are camping in I can recommend some sites for you.
If you're into dry camping I would recommend Elkmont Campground in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. That's where we do most of our camping.
bob7794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #7

Townsend is the quiet side of the Smokies with little "tourist" attractions. More of nature and it is near Cades Cove in the National Park. If you like the hustle and bustle, tours attractions, people, traffic, shows, go-karts, shopping, etc... than Pigeon Forge is what you may like. Everyone is different and enjoys different things. I have camped at both sites and enjoy both for different reasons. We have camped on the Pigeon Forge/Severville side of the mountains at several campgrounds:
River Plantation and Clabough Campground. We preferred River Plantation but it books up real quick.

In Townsend we stayed at the KOA. Great campground as well.

Good luck.
Equalizer 4-Point Sway 12000# & Tekonsha P3
pbrackney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #8

I recommend the Townsend KOA, try to get a river front site if possible, it's worth the extra cost...
greti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:31 PM   #9

I have stayed at the KOA in Townsend several times, very nice. You can take a back road over to the "tail of the Dragon" or take another back road over to Pigeon Forge. Very close to Cades Cove. Very nice location to everything, without having to be surrounded by thousands of people.

There is very little "commercial" stuff in Townsend, but only about 20 miles to Pigeon Forge with lots of commercial entertainment. If you are wanting to stay in Pigeon Forge, there is several campgrounds on Wears Valley Road (the back road from Townsend). Many are on the bus route to everything in Pigeon Forge.

If we are taking the grandkids we stay over at the Eagle's Nest on Wears Valley Road or Riveredge just as you come into Pigeon Forge from Gatlinburg, so we are close to the "stuff" they want to do.

If it is just DW and myself we stay at the KOA in Townsend.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #10

This is another fantastic place to camp in Pigeon Forge. We go to the Smokies several times a year.
RV Parks Camping in Pigeon Forge TN at Pine Mountain RV Park & Cabin Rentals, Smoky Mountains
2008 GMC Sierra 1500 4-Door (4x4)
Nights Camped in 2011 = 25
Nights Camped in 2012 = 4 with more to come!
melogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #11

Pine Mountain looks like a beautiful park. Never stayed there but may try it the next time we are in the Smokies.
Equalizer 4-Point Sway 12000# & Tekonsha P3
pbrackney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:31 AM   #12

Pine Mountain RV Resort is in a very convenient location in the heart of Pigeon Forge. You can walk across the street to the hotel and catch the trolley that will take you all over Pigeon Forge. We stayed here in Sept. 2011. We have since traded the Denali for a Sabre but this is a picture of site #50. All the back row of sites back up to a small stream. Sites 50 through 62 are great sites.

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:37 AM   #13

We have not stayed at Pine Mountain, but some good friends did last year and they said it was very nice.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:08 PM   #14

Hey, I have visited here many times and now I live here. I prefer the campgrounds in the national park and surrounding national forests. Some of the my favorite camping in the park is Cades Cove, Elkmont, Smokemont, Balsam Mountain and Cataloochee. I have camped at Deep CreeK several times.

On the NC side there are many national forest campgrounds. My favorites are Davidson River in the Pisgah National Forest near Brevard, NC off of US 276, Standing Indian near Franklin in the Nantahala National Forest, Tsali Recreation Area on Lake Fontana in the Nantahala National Forest, Jack Rabbit on Lake Chatuge near Haysville in the Nantahala National Forest. The Campground in Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest/Nantahala National Forest is also very nice near Robbinsville. The National Park does not offer showers or electrical hook ups. However, the National Forest campgrounds do offer hot showers but no hook ups. There is a campground in the Dupont State Forest/Park where the movie Hunger Games was filmed but I am not sure what it is called.
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:17 PM   #15

We (DH and two boys age 3 & 6) are planning on pulling our camper to the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area in August for a week. We visit this area about three times a year for the past ten years. This will be our first time camping. Has anyone stayed at the Bear Cove CG near Dollywood in Pigeon Forge. During our last trip in April we visited a few of the CG's. We liked the Townsend KOA but I had bad wifi service in Townsend (I run online businesses so I really need to be connected). We looked at Clayboughs but the camper spaces are very close together and some sites looked hard to back into. We meant to visit the River Plantation CG but ran out of time. We really liked the Bear Cove CG, it had pools, laundry and playground. It was also very well kept. The only downfall is in the campground itself there are no mature trees which means no shade in August's heat. Any suggestions?

Nights Camped in 2012 - 88
2012 Puma 31 KBH
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
2008 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
tolley31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:49 AM   #16

Stayed at River Plantation back in April and really liked it. Spent one day checking out other campgrounds and were glad we were at RP. But friends always stay at Bear Cove and recommend it. At least it's close to DollyWood.
roanmountaincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:51 PM   #17

An interesting way into Townsend is via Parsons Branch Road from Cades Cove. It is 8 miles of gravel road over the mountain. It is very scenic, but leave your TT in camp. It won't be difficult with just your tow vehicle.

Joel
Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #18

pigeon foreg

we have logged 17 days this year in our 365 saq sandpiper at Clayboughs campground on wears valley road in pigeon forge. Campground has wi-fi,two pools,lazy river, new playground,older arcade,singing on friday and saturday nights, and a creek with some fish in it running through the bottom side of the campground. One of the main things we look for in a campground is it has to be paved. We visited some friends last year at River plantation I beleive it was and it was all gravel. Their camper,truck,and everything outside was covered in dust. An eight year old with asma and all that dust just don't mix. We have looked at just about every campground in pigeon Forge and still go to clayboughs. There are nicer ones but they dont offer everything clayboughs does.
carsonizik3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:01 AM   #19

We have stayed at adventure bound campground formly known as crazy horse campground about 10 minutes from gatlinburg on 321. The camp ground is faily wooded which we like and they have a nice pool and slide built into side of mountain. The restrooms have always been clean as well. We go every year.
Cougar2005 is offline   Reply With Quote