Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2013, 08:45 AM   #1

St Petersburg FL campground

I'm looking for a nice campground in St Petersburg FL. My wife's father lives there and he is currently in the hospital so she wants to go there for spring break. By then he should be in a rehab facility.

We are looking for a condo or house to rent but not having much luck this close to spring break. As a backup plan we thought we could just bring the camper down. I've looked online but thought I would see if anybody has stayed there and would recommend a place. I know about Fort DeSoto but, not surprisingly, they show nothing available online.

Thanks
grege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #2

Fort De Soto is one of the hardest campgrounds to get into in the Tampa Bay Area. No surprise, it's the best location there is. We have to plan those trips at least six months in advance.

There is a KOA: St. Petersburg / Madeira Beach KOA | Camping in Florida | KOA Campgrounds

There isn't much else to choose from, unfortunately. It depends on how far you're willing to drive to visit your father-in-law. You could look in Clearwater, Dunedin, Largo, Palm Harbor. Those are all on the Pinellas side near St. Pete. Allstays has a good map of where those are located.

For looking at a condo or house to rent, have you tried VRBO?

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #3

Is the KOA a nice place? We've only stayed at state campgrounds in our popup so no experience with the,.

Yep. Tried VRBO but no luck. Some people didn't even reply back.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by grege View Post
Is the KOA a nice place? We've only stayed at state campgrounds in our popup so no experience with the,.
I honestly don't know. I've never had a need to stay there. Like you, we typically stick to state parks.

How close will you be to the Sunshine Skyway? Would you consider going across it to find a campground?

previous owner of
Old 03-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #5

Not sure. Had to look Sunshine Skyway up to see what it was. lol

My wife said they are looking at rehab facilities this week. Probably either the Kindred in St Petersburg or the Kindred in Tampa. I think the St Petersburg one is on 6th Street South and the Tampa one is by the AFB. That's what it looks like on Google maps at least. She would prefer a 30 minute drive or less from where we are staying.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:00 AM   #6

Hills borough river state park hwy 301 is nice
larmman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by grege View Post
Not sure. Had to look Sunshine Skyway up to see what it was. lol

My wife said they are looking at rehab facilities this week. Probably either the Kindred in St Petersburg or the Kindred in Tampa. I think the St Petersburg one is on 6th Street South and the Tampa one is by the AFB. That's what it looks like on Google maps at least. She would prefer a 30 minute drive or less from where we are staying.
Ok, I looked those up. If it's the St. Pete location, it would be about 20-30 minutes for you to reach a camping spot on the other side of the Sunshine Skyway (the bridge that takes I-275 from Pinellas County across Tampa Bay towards Brandon). There are more campgrounds for you to choose from there. Look at the Allstays map, so you can see what I'm talking about. There's even the Little Manatee River State Park, which would be pushing it at about 45 minutes away. All RV Parks Florida | RV Parks In Florida Map

If it's the Tampa location.... well, you're screwed unless you're military because there is nothing. And driving ANYwhere from MacDill is an exercise in extreme patience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larmman1 View Post
Hills borough river state park hwy 301 is nice
I agree it's very nice and one of our favorites. That would be about a 1 1/2 hour drive from St. Pete. Only 10 mins from my house, though!

previous owner of
Old 03-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #8

Darlene,

Thanks so much for your help. I will check out the link tonight at home. I'm not sure if that is the correct location in Tampa or not. From what you said, I hope I am wrong.