Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2018, 10:48 PM   #1

Starting to plan Niagara falls trip

Hi everyone, I am starting to plan our trip to Niagara falls. I will be leaving from South Mississippi. Hwy 63,45,59,65,71 then 90. I am looking at staying at Joe Wheeler State Park, then Charlestown State Park then West Branch State Park. I have not figured out where to stay when we arrive at Niagara Falls. We plan to visit in mid May. Looking for any input or help or suggestions. Thanks in advance.
charles55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:39 PM   #2
Canadian Member

First, welcome to the forum from just east of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

I can’t help with your route but I can say there are many threads here on the forum discussing Niagara Falls on both sides of the border. Just use the Search feature at the top of the website page.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:46 AM   #3

we stayed at 4 mile creek state park. we found it very convenient.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:15 AM   #4

X2 on Four Mile Creek State Park, it’s a great place to stay and the view in nice too
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:15 AM   #5
Half-Timer

We enjoy Golden Hill state park. It is a little ways away (about 30 mile) from the falls but is right on Lake Ontario. Drive to the falls is not bad and the country around the state park is beautiful. Loop B has 50 amp service. Only disadvantage is no sewer. But they do have a good dump station. The Shower/bath house is almost new and kept up very nicely.

SOB
ptylerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:17 AM   #6

Oh just in case you don’t know the Canadian side is the prettiest but you need a passport.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:29 AM   #7
Site Team

Hi Charles, welcome to FRF!!!
If you are using the full site- looking on a computer vs a smart phone you should see
a search box in the upper right corner of the screen. It's a white box in the green band.

Make sure the dot is on FRF not google.
Type in Niagara Falls and hit search.
You will find many discussions on the area.

There are options- the Canadian side is crowded and beautiful and reminds me of Disney World. It's expensive but can be worth it if that's what you're after.
The US side is much less developed.
We've stayed on both sides and liked both.
IF you are on a budget we recommend 4 mile creek NY state park. It's a no frills park with decent bath houses and water and electric sites. It's an easy drive to the bridge to cross into Canada if that's what you want.
IF you're into hiking and getting up close and personal- there is a trail on the NY side that follows the Niagara river right up past the whirl pool.
You can sit on a rock and literally spit into the Niagara river. It's awesome.
Or you can go to the Canadian side and pay to park and then ride the trams up and down and pay to get on an elevator and go down to the rapids and look through a fence at the fast water.
If you have time on the NY side do consider a 1/2 day trip on the Erie canal boats. It's way more fun than I thought it would be and I've been through giant locks on the Ohio river in my own boat. Also the power station on the NY side has a very neat visitor center that shows how they manage all that water to make power. Well worth a couple hours and right on the way from 4 mile creek to the bridge.

Check out some of the discussions you find with a search and come back here if you have more questions.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:37 AM   #8

Since you are coming from the south, Evangola State Park.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 02:20 PM   #9

Hi Charles55
We are from western New York and love camping in New York. Evangola State Park located in Brant, NY (town of Evans) just off route 5 (erie rd) is a beautiful state park located on the shores of Lake Erie. You could take route 5 straight up to Buffalo and then follow the I90 straight up to Grand Island then Niagara Falls NY. Another beautiful park is Darien Lake State Park. not on the Lake but has a small man made lake with beach. We Love both. Safe Travels
skip9254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:08 PM   #10

Which ever you decide, you will want to book NOW! NYSPs book up as far out as 9 months, in fact, I have to get online in a couple of days to book a site for mid Sept.
Four Mile Creek is a great base camp.
JP Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:37 PM   #11

As others have said, there is little comparison between the US and Canadian sides. Sad commentary on US cultivation of national treasures, but the US side is like a slum and the Canadian side is a beautiful park. You do need a passport.

While up that way continue along either side the 3 hours or so to the Thousand Islands. Niagara is must see, but it is one stop and a quick visit. The TI has a dozen great spots to visit from Kingston, Gananoque and Brockville on the Canadian side to Clayton and Alex Bay on the NY Side and great islands like Bolt Castle, Singer Castle, etc. You can take great river tours along the St Lawrence and visit it all.

For us the T.I. was the clear highlight of 3 years traveling our Allegro Bus.
2018 Vanleigh Vilano 375FL
www.Wind-seeker.com/vilano
jbrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:42 PM   #12

I live at the mouth of the Niagara River a couple of miles from 4 Mile Creek SP. Our state parks are great. There are also 2 KOAs within a few miles of the Falls and a really nice, new park on Grand Island a couple of miles from the Falls. This one, Branches of Niagara, is nice and has many amenities. We have enjoyed both often.
DennyW NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 04:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles55 View Post
Hi everyone, I am starting to plan our trip to Niagara falls. I will be leaving from South Mississippi. Hwy 63,45,59,65,71 then 90. I am looking at staying at Joe Wheeler State Park, then Charlestown State Park then West Branch State Park. I have not figuredgreat out where to stay when we arrive at Niagara Falls. We plan to visit in mid May. Looking for any input or help or suggestions. Thanks in advance.
We did a cross Canada trip couple years ago incuding couple years ago incuding the falls andit was great! Some rv parks offer free shuttle to the falls. Great idea! Enjoy! We live on Vancouver Island.
Bob Gowryluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptylerp View Post
We enjoy Golden Hill state park. It is a little ways away (about 30 mile) from the falls but is right on Lake Ontario. Drive to the falls is not bad and the country around the state park is beautiful. Loop B has 50 amp service. Only disadvantage is no sewer. But they do have a good dump station. The Shower/bath house is almost new and kept up very nicely.
Yes and Lakeside Beech. A bit closer and worth the ride. Enjoy!

2017 Mini Lite 2506S front kitchen

2018 GMC Sierra 1500
labcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:17 PM   #15

We where in Niagara in September and we spent a day on both sides and we enjoyed both of them. RV parking is available on both sides and the shuttles get you almost everywhere you want to go. I have always heard a lot of criticism of the US side but we thought it was great as is the Canadian side, I guess we all have different tastes. Speaking of tastes we did have Buffalo wings at the Anchor bar and loved them. Have fun its a beautiful area.
The big question going into Canada is if you have a firearm in your RV, we don't so I don't know what the consequences are if you do. Have a safe trip.
KNMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:18 PM   #16

Branches of Niagara is where we stayed. It is a very nice park.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:28 PM   #17

We stayed at the KOA on the Canada side. IMHO the view of both the US and Canadian falls is much better on the Canadian side. The US side is a state park and is similar to a state park in how it is run. The Canadian side is a lot of commercialization centering on the falls. I wouldn't miss either, wherever you stay I would suggested visiting the other side. We spent half a day on the US side and wish we would have spent a little more time there. We were on the Canadian side for 3 days. There is a shuttle service on the Canadian side which I would recommend because traffic is very heavy.
Rudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:38 PM   #18

Starting to plan Niagara falls trip

We lived on Lake Erie and the Niagara River for the 1st 60 years of my life. Like others have said, The Falls are a "must". If you can only take one trip there, take The Maid of the Mist. You will experience the real power of the Falls. Like someone else mentioned, the Power Vista in Lewiston is great with a view of the gorge that will take your breath away. Check our Niagara-on-the Lake on the Canadian side. If you want to spend some more time in that area, there are some great sights you might want to see. Buffalo has some beautiful architecture, visit the revitalized waterfront. In Lackawanna, south of Buffalo is the Father Baker Basilica. It doesn't matter what faith you are, it will be quite the experience. If you are Catholic, it can be very emotional. Another must if you want to travel back in time is Vidlers Five and Dime in E. Aurora. All of these are within an hour of the Falls. Safe travels.
mem4lem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles55 View Post
Hi everyone, I am starting to plan our trip to Niagara falls. I will be leaving from South Mississippi. Hwy 63,45,59,65,71 then 90. I am looking at staying at Joe Wheeler State Park, then Charlestown State Park then West Branch State Park. I have not figured out where to stay when we arrive at Niagara Falls. We plan to visit in mid May. Looking for any input or help or suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Many comments here, have fun, and if you visit Canada, if you have firearms, be sure to go to the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) web site to learn the rules. Handguns are prohibited, period.

Safe travels.

amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:38 PM   #20

x 2 ON DENNY W'S COMMENTS THE BRANCHES IS rated number 1 amongst our family of campers and being on Grand Island just off the 190 puts it and the Cinderella and Koa's as the closest and easiest place to camp and see the falls 4 mile creek offers a little father of a drive but you would be on Lake Ontario;s southern shore and being able to view the Majestic city of Toronto from it , Also Fort Niagara is a nearby historical site and riding South on allows travel along the Niagara river shore then climbing the escarpment to the falls and the Canadian side features a whole flock ot things to do
tonyb1725 is offline   Reply With Quote