Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2014, 05:33 PM   #1

Stay away from Lazy Lakes near Niagara Falls NY

This campground strung us along for months for our upcoming trip next week to Niagara Falls with a free 2 night stay and a free $50 gas card. When we first started talking to them (they got our info from a camping show we attended) we asked if there was any strings attached to the deal and they said no, this was their form of advertising. So that seemed logical and the campground got good reviews. Well we received information today on our stay and found out it is a time share and we have to sit through a 90 presentation on the day we were planning to leave which would include a 6-7 hour drive home. The woman we spoke to on the phone after realizing this was very unfriendly and welcomed us to report her to the Better Business Bureau. She said because they are a club they can do whatever they want. None of the reviews we read indicated that this was a time share. Very disappointing, thankfully we were able to book at branches of the niagara for the same trip.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:40 PM   #2
ARLO

We had a similar experience many years ago. We listened to their presentation for a promise of a free TV. We did get the free TV but had to have verbal confrontations with several people. My wife is very persistent and I can be very intimidating.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:08 PM   #3

I maybe would have gone along with the time share presentation if I was told about it months ago but it was a last minute surprise. Plus they were so mean about it.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:41 AM   #4

Funny, some people rave about the time share campgrounds while others, or most of us wouldn't go near them. Shared a campsite at a country music jamboree over July 4 weekend with some folks we just met who have a time share CG. Funny thing they live in Western New York State but their " home" campground is somewhere in No. Carolina. Yeah, they get to go to the same place every year.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:56 AM   #5

I went to an RV show a couple of years ago, and filled out an entry for a chance to win a $50.00 gas card. Well by the time I got home Lazy Lakes was calling me. They told me that I would have to sit through a 90 minute presentation. I told them I wasn't interested in buying into any kind of time share, that I wasn't parking my rig in one spot. They told me there was no obligation to purchase anything. Well I still told them I wasn't interested and said goodbye. Well they don't take goodbye as a final answer. Everyday a woman named Margaret called my house leaving messages. Finally I blocked the number. Then after a short while the calls started again. She must have been calling from a different number. At this point I finally told here in not so pleasant terms to stop calling me. After that my months long endless calls finally stopped. Lesson learned. NEVER fill out any sweepstakes or surveys at RV shows unless you're prepared to be deluged with phone calls.
Soxfan1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:07 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Anytime a campground offers a free weekend and gas card you can pretty much bet they are a membership type of campground. We do belong to one here in NC and can use it to camp at their sister resorts however if we want to go outside of travel resorts America, we can use coast to coast membership but that comes with an extra yearly payment above the yearly dues. Honestly, I love our home resort for the peaceful environment and wonderful kids activities. It is worth the yearly maintenance fees because we do use it a lot. That said, if I had it to do over again, I would have gotten a resale membership and saved myself a ton of $. Don't get me wrong, there are downsides, i.e. they are overselling memberships. Now my place was up front about the presentation, but it sounds like this place was not which is not cool. If they can't be up front with the presentation, then I would worry about what else they don't tell their members.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:01 PM   #7

To asquared: We belonged to TRA and C to C. Had no trouble getting out of CtoC, and even got the money back for unused points, but had one heck of a time getting out of TRA. Our home resort also was in NC. Since it takes 2 days to get from our home to NC, we didn't use it very often. The last time we stayed there, we had no sewer hookup. We had to pay to get out of TRA. We are Good Sam members and Passport America. We also stay at FamCamps on military posts, since my husband is retired Army.
Juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:23 PM   #8

The high pressure sales folks know the psychology of the buyer, for sure. Now, the salesperson may not know the details, they are trained in overcoming objections and making the way clear for you to purchase. The mean stuff is trained into them, for sure. It's hard for me to understand how someone who works for a company like that can sleep at night. I think Stockholm syndrome may come into play there.

The gist of the matter is that the harder it is to gain entrance to an organization (whether price, hazing, barriers to entry) the more connected to it you will be. It's just human nature.

The axiom to remember is like the old joke about the guy who went to the Dr and said, Doc, I broke my arm in two places", Doc said, "well, stay out of those places."

I'm too easy so I stay out. My DW, on the other hand, is more persistent than they could ever be.
53jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:31 PM   #9
Site Team

Staying near Niagara Falls on the NY side? 4 mile creek state park. Close cheap and no hassles.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:47 AM   #10

KyDan, you are spot on with your recommendation! Just happen to be going there tomorrow, 8/21 to be near by the very excellent Lewiston Jazz Festival. Lewiston is about 8 easy and fast miles from Four Mile Creek.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote