Old 07-25-2016, 08:14 AM   #91
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
I was curious about the Delaware Memorial Bridge which connects New Jersey and Delaware. They have an RV alert on their web page which I am pasting below. However, I am not sure I understand what they are stating in the last sentence and how that affects the toll.

Also, how much is the toll? I didn't see the rates on their web site.

" RV and Camper E-ZPass Alert
As a vehicle enters a Delaware Memorial Bridge toll lane, the toll system reads both the number of axles and the vehicle profile. If a customer is towing a trailer or is operating a large recreational vehicle and enters a dedicated E-ZPass lane, the system may register the transaction at a commercial rate. To eliminate the potential for a misclassification, the DRBA advises customers to pay the toll manually. The E-ZPass transponder must be removed before entering the lane and placed in the read proof bag during the transaction.

In addition, all E-ZPass customers should always check their statements to make sure that the charges are accurate and immediately report any discrepancies to their customer service center. This alert does not apply to campers or RVs with dual tires. "
Been there, done that, at that toll booth, too. Jeep Liberty towing a Roo was classified as a commercial vehicle. Had to file for a refund.

Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:46 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
Been there, done that, at that toll booth, too. Jeep Liberty towing a Roo was classified as a commercial vehicle. Had to file for a refund.
In Illinois, you're either a car or a truck. TV alone is a car. TV with RV is a truck. Three truck sizes: small, medium, large:

Small - 2 axles - six tires; single unit truck, buses
Medium - 3 and 4 axles vehicle or passenger vehicles with 1 or 2 axle side-car or trailer
Large - 5+ axles vehicle passenger vehicles with 3+ axle trailer

So most TV/RV's are medium.

They do drop the toll fifty cents to a dollar at night (10pm-6am).

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:03 PM   #93

I have always been a toll road user but I will now try the other routes. I like my freedom and I hate sitting in traffic jam on a toll road.

I grew up a couple of blocks from what we were told was America's first toll road. It was built for horses and wagons. Horse and rider was lower toll than a wagon. It was originally paved with wood planks. Lots of history around this road. West Chester Pike runs from Upper Darby at the Philadelphia border to West Chester, PA.

Users had to pay the toll at the "pike" that controlled access to the privately built road.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:04 PM   #94

Wow, this thread has been pretty harsh, both on the PA Turnpike Comission and the state in general. I feel like I have to do a little bit of defending of both my state and my Turnpike here...

Does PA have, in general, some of the worst roads in the country? Yes. Anyone want to guess why? Because anything that is shipped by truck from the busiest cargo port in the world (NYC) to the rest of the ENTIRE COUNTRY has to pass through PA. It's not called the Keystone State for nothing, folks! If a truckload of widgets that just came off a ship in NYC has to go somewhere out West, it's across I80. If it has to go down South, it's across I78 to I81. Truckers don't really like to use the I95 corridor unless they actually have to go to Philly, Baltimore, or DC--it's too congested.

Now, we add to this truck traffic dilemma, the fact that PennDot has to use salt on the roads for five months of the year to keep said truck traffic moving safely, and you'll see why the roads deteriorate. Go pour salt on your concrete walkway, wet it, do that repeatedly, and see what happens to it in a year. It would be great if we were Florida or Tennessee and didn't have to use salt on the roads, but we're not. Those two factors alone cause more damage to our roads than just about any other state. It takes constant upkeep and resurfacing to keep after that damage. And the bridges--they have been deteriorating for years, but PD is slowly getting to them and replacing. And in case anyone is wondering, I have no skin in the game in terms of the transportation or construction industries: I'm just a guy who does homecare in the medical field and drives around--a lot.

As for the Turnpike: I just rode my motorcycle, today, from the southern end of 476 almost to the northern terminus (I had to throw that word in there for Walking Dead fans,) at Wilkes Barre. They are in the middle of a $168 million project to resurface, widen and improve it. And aside from a few sections that still need to be milled and resurfaced, it's in pretty good shape. I totally dig the EZPass only exits--they add convenience for those of us willing to take the few simple steps to acquire EZPass, and it's totally worth it in terms of time saving and toll discounts. I can't speak to the east west section of the Turnpike, as I haven't been on it in a long time. But if you want to avoid the tolls, and drive across Pennsylvania east to west or vice-versa, you can use I80, or US322 and US30, US22, or even scenic US6--all toll free!

Lay off my state. As someone said, if the trucks stop, America stops. Everyone likes their Walmart goods, but no one thinks about the transportational costs to get them to you...
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:31 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
Wow, this thread has been pretty harsh, both on the PA Turnpike Comission and the state in general. I feel like I have to do a little bit of defending of both my state and my Turnpike here...

Does PA have, in general, some of the worst roads in the country? Yes. Anyone want to guess why? Because anything that is shipped by truck from the busiest cargo port in the world (NYC) to the rest of the ENTIRE COUNTRY has to pass through PA. It's not called the Keystone State for nothing, folks! If a truckload of widgets that just came off a ship in NYC has to go somewhere out West, it's across I80. If it has to go down South, it's across I78 to I81. Truckers don't really like to use the I95 corridor unless they actually have to go to Philly, Baltimore, or DC--it's too congested.

Now, we add to this truck traffic dilemma, the fact that PennDot has to use salt on the roads for five months of the year to keep said truck traffic moving safely, and you'll see why the roads deteriorate. Go pour salt on your concrete walkway, wet it, do that repeatedly, and see what happens to it in a year. It would be great if we were Florida or Tennessee and didn't have to use salt on the roads, but we're not. Those two factors alone cause more damage to our roads than just about any other state. It takes constant upkeep and resurfacing to keep after that damage. And the bridges--they have been deteriorating for years, but PD is slowly getting to them and replacing. And in case anyone is wondering, I have no skin in the game in terms of the transportation or construction industries: I'm just a guy who does homecare in the medical field and drives around--a lot.

As for the Turnpike: I just rode my motorcycle, today, from the southern end of 476 almost to the northern terminus (I had to throw that word in there for Walking Dead fans,) at Wilkes Barre. They are in the middle of a $168 million project to resurface, widen and improve it. And aside from a few sections that still need to be milled and resurfaced, it's in pretty good shape. I totally dig the EZPass only exits--they add convenience for those of us willing to take the few simple steps to acquire EZPass, and it's totally worth it in terms of time saving and toll discounts. I can't speak to the east west section of the Turnpike, as I haven't been on it in a long time. But if you want to avoid the tolls, and drive across Pennsylvania east to west or vice-versa, you can use I80, or US322 and US30, US22, or even scenic US6--all toll free!

Lay off my state. As someone said, if the trucks stop, America stops. Everyone likes their Walmart goods, but no one thinks about the transportational costs to get them to you...
OK, good for you for defending your home state but you live in a really nice part of PA. With little congestion compared to the Philly area. Actually, most of the state is really nice as are the people. Most of your points are true but it all starts with a good foundation and proper upkeep. Both lacking here.

BUT, I drive back and forth between PA and Delaware and there is a dramatic improvement in the roads as soon as you cross the border. A passenger with their eyes closed would know when we crossed from one to the other.

PENNDOT does a first rate job keeping my street plowed and treated in the winter but I don't know why they run their plows over cleared blacktop once the job is done.

They usually stink at potholes if they get around to them. A few months ago they came by with a new method that sprays some substance into the potholes. The ones they filled are still fixed while the ones they did later with the older method are holes again.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:34 PM   #96

If the US government really wanted to put America back to work it would nationalize the rail beds in America and build better rail road beds then the highways would get better because most of the trucks would be off the roads. Until the railroads start hauling more freight the roads are only going to get worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:38 PM   #97

I'd vote for the first candidate who promised to A) 100% eliminate spam and sales telephone calls and B) mandated that every road crew in America show up at Road X tomorrow, and fix it overnight, and then move to Road Y, and keep going till they are done, then start over. No orange barrels till the day they're working on it, and orange barrels, or their equivalent, self destruct in 2 days if not moved.

How we maintain roads is way more important than how they are/are not funded! It's a travesty. An 8th grader in Podunk could devise a better system.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:42 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
OK, good for you for defending your home state but you live in a really nice part of PA. With little congestion compared to the Philly area. Actually, most of the state is really nice as are the people. Most of your points are true but it all starts with a good foundation and proper upkeep. Both lacking here.

BUT, I drive back and forth between PA and Delaware and there is a dramatic improvement in the roads as soon as you cross the border. A passenger with their eyes closed would know when we crossed from one to the other.

PENNDOT does a first rate job keeping my street plowed and treated in the winter but I don't know why they run their plows over cleared blacktop once the job is done.

They usually stink at potholes if they get around to them. A few months ago they came by with a new method that sprays some substance into the potholes. The ones they filled are still fixed while the ones they did later with the older method are holes again.
Agreed--DE does a better job, but again, they are a much smaller state with many fewer miles of road to keep after, and they're not a big state for "through traffic," with regard to truck movement. That's where I was coming from this morning, and I have to believe a great deal of their road improvements are paid with tourist taxes--tolls on Rt 1, hotel taxes, etc--because there's no sales tax, and fuel taxes are lower than PA. But whatever that pothole filling stuff is, let's bring that ON!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
If the US government really wanted to put America back to work it would nationalize the rail beds in America and build better rail road beds then the highways would get better because most of the trucks would be off the roads. Until the railroads start hauling more freight the roads are only going to get worse.
Amen, brother! More locomotives, less trucks. I like it.
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:29 PM   #99

Time to put this Post to bed..Good Night Safe Travels to all.

2013 Ram 2500 "Cummins"
2014 Columbus 340RK
Yogi Bear Jellystone CG
Caledonia, WI
August 12-15
MacDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:29 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post

I lived in PA the 1st 55 years of my life with the exception of time Uncle Sam saw fit to provide a scholarship to SE Asia, Jungle campus. Yep, ice, snow, cold means salt that tears up roads and vehicles. Taxes are high enough PA should pay you to drive on the bad roads. I do go back once a year over the holidays ~ 3 days max ~ to visit my brother. Walmart ~~ I do not stop in the parking lots as I have not set foot in one of their stores in decades. If not for Walmart some of those ships may not be arriving and those trucks would be hauling steel from Fairless Hills and Pgh to manufacturing plants in the US. The PA Fish Commission, PA Wildlife Commission, PA State Game lands are the best things going in PA.

CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote