Old 07-21-2016, 08:21 PM   #31

I remember getting EZ Pass the first time when we were transferred to Staten Island NY. (1999) It was great and easy. NJ and DE did not have it yet. Going over the VZ Bridge and the other bridges to enter NJ was so much cheaper.

Spoke to my brother who lives in Southern New Jersey and he was telling me so much surcharges are put on and other charges to his bill. Plus not much of discounts anymore using the Pass. He uses the back roads to go to his place in Wildwood area instead of the Parkway.

As for the Potomac Bridge on Route 301, they should pay the commuter going over that bridge. I cringe when a Semi is coming from the over way.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:54 PM   #32

a year or two ago PA raised the gas tax, vehicle registration, drivers license fees and fines to improve roads and bridges.

I have not seen any improvements. Has anyone else?

The politicians swore we would see almost immediate improvements. I don't know where the money went but I won't speculate on this thread.

Bobby

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:39 PM   #33

DW and I used our IL IPass to go from WI to Washington DC and back, it worked great in all states and all gates.. total tolls both ways came to just under 200.00 for 1500 miles. Good Roads and about 60 miles between service centers.
MacDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:47 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
a year or two ago PA raised the gas tax, vehicle registration, drivers license fees and fines to improve roads and bridges.

I have not seen any improvements. Has anyone else?

The politicians swore we would see almost immediate improvements. I don't know where the money went but I won't speculate on this thread.

Bobby
Yes we seen it! Beaver dam rd between Cambria and Indiana was repaved. Its so smooth, man was it smooth. It really is not a good road to traveling as it goes no where. There is like two homes on this 4 mile road to nowhere. Good news it should not need repaving for another fifty years. The home owners and people who believe the GPS knows what it's talking about, are the only ones on it(pleading the 5th). On quiet night when traveling slowly on this road you can hear banjos playing.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
Nights camping in 2016: 19 nights
Miles traveled in 2016: 2,575
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:18 PM   #35

We make to trips a year from Ohio to California and back in our RV with a toad. We have an Ohio EZPass for the rv and a NY EzPass for the car which is left over from when I used to commute weekly to NYC.

The NY EZPass gets deeper discounts on the Hudson River bridges and tunnels than passes from other states. That pass is kept in the "no register" bag except when we're visiting NY and use the car to cross bridges and use the NYS thruway.

We also have passes for Oklahoma, Texas, and California. The CA pass is the worst because they charge $2/month for the privilege of having the pass. In the long run, I doubt that we end up saving money using it in CA but the no cash needed convenience and time saved at toll booths does a lot to make up for $24/year.

Phil
Old 07-21-2016, 10:40 PM   #36
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridela View Post
I also have the Epass/Sunpass, but having come from Delaware, I have the EZpass as well.

Local newspaper had an article about the Sunpass linking up to EZpass sometime in the future, but its not ready and may not be for awhile.

On our trip north in may, we paid $24 to cross the Maryland Hatem Bridge over the Susquahanna river on I-95. This is ridiculous, we were in a pickup towing our fifth wheel with two axles. It just does not compute that it should cost that much to cross a bridge, that's all I'm saying!
By Congress mandate it was supposed to be by this summer... Just like we are supposed to use chip readers for credit cards by the start of 2016...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2014 Greywolf 26DBH
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:06 PM   #37

I have heard for years that in the original charter that when the PA Turnpike paid for itself, the toll booths were supposed to be torn down and the tolls eliminated. That date has come and gone and if it was true the turnpike commission has done a good job of purging any information on the web.

The PA turnpike commission is nothing but a political toy full of hacks plagued by corruption, nepotism, and kickbacks. That has all been proven more than once.

I have been driving on the overpriced highway daily since 1989. Over the road trucks get off and run our secondary 2 lanes around here that parallel it to avoid the overpriced rates. In the process they risk some really dangerous mountain crossings and grades known for runaways over the years. If they keep raising the rates at the current pace by 2025 it will cost $1.00 a mile lol. If you live here in south central PA its your only viable option timewise for a commute into Pittsburgh.

Back to my first paragraph........that actually happened somewhere. The Bluegrass Parkway in KY. When it paid for itself they ripped out the toll booths lol.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:27 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgas View Post
Well don't shoot the messenger - I read an article last week, as of Aug 1, PA turnpike tolls are going up. I don't remember how much, but they are going up.
6%
Old 07-22-2016, 12:53 AM   #39

We are contemplating a trip from Louisiana to Niagra Falls amd Gettysburg, not sure about it now, I'm not fond of paying to drive on cruddy roads, learned that lesson in Florida.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:59 AM   #40

I grew up in PA and using its TP. Live in Md now but still use it ever few years. It was bad then and road still stinks now. Even my kids ask what's wrong with this road. I was also reluctant to get EZ pass, but we use the 95 corridor a lot from DC to philly, and now I couldn't imagine not having it. Of course, I got mine from Delaware. one time fee to buy it that's it. MD, who likes to tax a lot, charges a % fee every year for just using it. Ridicules.