Old 07-22-2016, 12:38 AM   #41

I'm a retired truck driver that ran a lot from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia and back. 200 bucks a round trip. Not counting the fuel.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:19 AM   #42

Yup, yup and yup. Removing the toll booths was common knowledge for decades.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:25 AM   #43

It was the same in IL around Chicago.. should have been paid for and removed 40 years ago..

2013 Ram 2500 "Cummins"
2014 Columbus 340RK
Yogi Bear Jellystone CG
Caledonia, WI
August 12-15
MacDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:14 AM   #44
World Wide Wanderer

The ONLY place I can recall toll booths being removed is Richmond, VA. They had I-95 tolled through the city, once they got the money and built I-295, they removed the tolls. However they do have some other toll roads that will stay toll roads.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:41 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlwilliams808 View Post
We are contemplating a trip from Louisiana to Niagra Falls amd Gettysburg, not sure about it now, I'm not fond of paying to drive on cruddy roads, learned that lesson in Florida.
Lol, Not every road around here is a toll. I rarely pay a toll and live in Baltimore. Just got back from Niagara falls and did not have a single toll. Once you are on I81 in Virginia, you should not see a toll, not sure about any before that. from 81, cutting over to Gettysburg, there is no toll there. Traveling up from there to the falls is route 15 all the way into Corning, new york, no tolls there either. After Corning, we had a lot of back country roads to get to the state park we were camping at but there were no tolls.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
Traveled 19520 miles and 209 nights in 7 years and counting
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:48 AM   #46

Texas Res

I live in Texas bu t knew I was going to use the toll roads east of the Mississippi River when I was on vacation, so I went online to EZ Pass and opened an account and ordered my unit. I took approximately 6 days to receive it from USPS. When I received it, it was already activated and work just fine on the traveling I did on the states that accept it for tolls and makes it less expensive when paying tolls.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:19 PM   #47

My father and grand father speak of how the NYS througway (i90) was suppose to use tolls to get it paid for and then stop, like others states you have mentioned, that didnt happen. I will say thought that the NYS Throughway is pretty well kept up and well taken care of in the winter

I have had the NY Ezpass for a long time, dont travel much but its nice to have. Mine is set up for passenger vehicle. So not hauling i can just go through the regular land for ezpass. i have not found great clear answers and each tollbooth worker tells me something different. When towing i have to go through the cash lane getting on and off so they can flip a switch to say i have more axles today. i wonder if i would get caught going through the ezpass lane and get extra fees, but being to honest i dont try. Getting off last week the lady goes wow arent you honest, which leads me to beleive i could get away with using my regular passenger tag even while towing.

From near Utica (exit 32) to near Rochester (exit 46) it was 9.79 with 2 axle camper in tow

found old charge with out tow 32 - 40 = $2.76, not perfect but guess with the tow its about double
Old 07-22-2016, 09:27 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpa098 View Post
My father and grand father speak of how the NYS througway (i90) was suppose to use tolls to get it paid for and then stop, like others states you have mentioned, that didnt happen. I will say thought that the NYS Throughway is pretty well kept up and well taken care of in the winter

I have had the NY Ezpass for a long time, dont travel much but its nice to have. Mine is set up for passenger vehicle. So not hauling i can just go through the regular land for ezpass. i have not found great clear answers and each tollbooth worker tells me something different. When towing i have to go through the cash lane getting on and off so they can flip a switch to say i have more axles today. i wonder if i would get caught going through the ezpass lane and get extra fees, but being to honest i dont try. Getting off last week the lady goes wow arent you honest, which leads me to beleive i could get away with using my regular passenger tag even while towing.

From near Utica (exit 32) to near Rochester (exit 46) it was 9.79 with 2 axle camper in tow

found old charge with out tow 32 - 40 = $2.76, not perfect but guess with the tow its about double
Check the EZ Pass website for your state. A lot of toll boths automatically detetect if you have extra axles.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:43 PM   #49
Usually Confused Member

There used to be a toll road going out of Atlanta (GA400, I think?) but they finally took them down a few years ago. Now they have tolls for a few of the I-85/285 lanes that have rates that change by the minute based on how heavy traffic is. I'm about 40 miles east and give thanks every day that I don't have to deal with the traffic there.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:12 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridela View Post
I also have the Epass/Sunpass, but having come from Delaware, I have the EZpass as well.

Local newspaper had an article about the Sunpass linking up to EZpass sometime in the future, but its not ready and may not be for awhile.

On our trip north in may, we paid $24 to cross the Maryland Hatem Bridge over the Susquahanna river on I-95. This is ridiculous, we were in a pickup towing our fifth wheel with two axles. It just does not compute that it should cost that much to cross a bridge, that's all I'm saying!
I'm thinking you mean the Millard E Tydings bridge on I-95??

They only charge you going north, so in THEORY, you were paying for 2 trips across with a TV and 5ver, so really $12 to cross the bridge once.

If you did mean the Hatem bridge (Rte 40), it also only charges going north, so again, only $12 to cross "each way."

You need to take these roads south, and figure out how to NOT take them north!

Take Rte 1/222 across the Conowingo Dam? Then Rte 273 into Newark.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote