Old 07-23-2016, 09:45 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhduh camping View Post
Not off hand, I have a friend in Port Deposit. I will find out. Cars park on streets a lot especially Sundays. It can be very tight thru PD.
Ok thanks, I know how tight it gets I use to deliver for UPS there but in a much smaller truck. I just remember how tight it seemed under there and kind of on a curve also, neat old town that is fading away.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:08 AM   #62
Commercial Member

1. I strongly recommend people get EZ-Pass if they plan on traveling using toll roads or toll bridges across any of the states in the NE that are seen on the map in THIS post.
2. In almost all cases you will save money. The Toll discount in PA is 25% OH is 28% and others have reported discounts up to 50%
3. You can save time as many of the toll booths allow you to drive through at maybe 5 mph. Some turnpikes such as IL have separate sections of road that allow you to drive through at 55 which sure beats getting in a stop and go line.
4. You can carry less cash and do not need the exact change required at some exits.
5. Do not assume you have to get the little transponder from your home state. Save additional money by being an educated user. Some states charge you an annual fee while others do not. Some have a "Deposit" of $20 or so on the transponder others do not. I live in Ohio and got my unit from Mass. All they require is I keep a positive credit in my account. Sometimes less than $15. Whenever I use up my credit, they charge my credit card $30 as needed to keep a positive balance.
Example: In June I started with a balance of $15.07. I paid two tolls in Ohio and IN which dropped me to (-2.63) so they charged my cc $32.63 A week later I had two more transactions that dropped my credit to $12.30.
6. in a week I plan on crossing PA (on I80), NY & Mass and return. I know there are a couple of bridges involved too but with my EZ-Pass I expect few issues.
7 Yes I do monitor my account on line to be sure the charges are correct. I have only had one wrong charge in 5 years ( I entered a Tpk too close to a truck ahead so my transponder didn't register so had to take a ticket. I got it quickly resolved when I got to exit with no hassle other than asking for a correction.

I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:26 AM   #63
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red and 30WR View Post
I have a friend that has the EZ pass and he says it doesn`t charge you for the trailer , just the truck in New York . Not sure if other states do the same. That would add the savings up in a hurry.
Your friend's TT must be invisible (lucky them) or EZPass was feeling well that day...I90 from MA border to Exit 50 Niagara Falls is $54.15 ($15.30 for just TV) which is based on the #of axis (in our case 4) and ht of TT (over 7'-6")... items picked up by the EZpass cameras.

Need to find an alternative route next time.

Happy Trails
MainelyUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:56 AM   #64
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyUS View Post
Your friend's TT must be invisible (lucky them) or EZPass was feeling well that day...I90 from MA border to Exit 50 Niagara Falls is $54.15 ($15.30 for just TV) which is based on the #of axis (in our case 4) and ht of TT (over 7'-6")... items picked up by the EZpass cameras.

Need to find an alternative route next time.

Happy Trails
I got lucky one time, too. Not on the NYS Thruway, but one of the Hudson Crossings. It never picked up the trailer.

That price tag is why I take 88 to 86 now.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:08 AM   #65
Commercial Member

When you register you are suppose to include the number of axles. They have stiff fine for those that get caught gaming the system.

Just follow the registration instructions.

Not sure what to do if you have a TV and sometimes use the trailer and sometimes do not.

Maybe two different transponders? Again read and follow instructions.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:23 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
When you register you are suppose to include the number of axles. They have stiff fine for those that get caught gaming the system.

Just follow the registration instructions.

Not sure what to do if you have a TV and sometimes use the trailer and sometimes do not.

Maybe two different transponders? Again read and follow instructions.
They know if you have a TT. Went through a plaza on July 10 with the car and got charged $0.95. Went through on July 11 with my TV and TT and got charged $4.30. Same transponder (we only have one).

From the Illinois I-Pass website:

Can I use my regular I-PASS when I tow a trailer or drive an RV?
Yes. In fact, the technology in the open road tolling lanes will automatically calculate and deduct the proper toll. You no longer need to use the cash lanes or purchase a special transponder.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:48 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red and 30WR View Post
I have a friend that has the EZ pass and he says it doesn`t charge you for the trailer , just the truck in New York . Not sure if other states do the same. That would add the savings up in a hurry.
When I got my I Pass in Illinois I registered it for my Toyota Sequoia, my TV for a 27', two axle TT. I was curious if I needed a second I Pass for when I'd be towing.

I contacted I Pass and they said there was just one charge whether I was pulling a TT or not and that I didn't need a second I Pass.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:35 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by johng4706 View Post
When I got my I Pass in Illinois I registered it for my Toyota Sequoia, my TV for a 27', two axle TT. I was curious if I needed a second I Pass for when I'd be towing.

I contacted I Pass and they said there was just one charge whether I was pulling a TT or not and that I didn't need a second I Pass.
Well, they lied to you about that one. Log in to your account and look at what you're being charged. I think you'll be surprised. See my post #66.

With the auto replenishment from your credit card, most people don't even think about what they're getting charged, they just pay off the credit card. Makes it easy for the state to keep screwing us.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 02:54 PM   #69
Engineer of Crazy Train

I just checked my account. Unfortunately, on my way home, I usually pay cash on the MassPike when towing, but the line for a ticket was long, and I went through EZPass. Charged me $10.75 instead of $4.35. Even though they charge me fine when light, with the trailer, they put duallies on my 1500.

BUT, NYS Thruway didn't charge me for my trailer. Shhh. It was just a $0.66 difference on the Berkshire Ext, as I take I88 to I86 to go to Ohio.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:11 PM   #70

So half truths do not prevail, the purpose to build was;

In a July 1954 speech to the Governors' Conference (forerunner of the National Governors Association), President Dwight D. Eisenhower asked for help in devising a Grand Plan for upgrading the Nation's highways - Federal, State, and local. (Vice President Richard M. Nixon delivered the speech after a death in the family prevented the President from attending.) The President listed the problems to be overcome:

Safety - an annual toll of nearly 40,000 killed and 1.3 million injured. Congestion - wastes billions of hours in detours and jams amounting to billions of dollars in productive time. Courts - civil suits related to traffic clog up our courts. Economy - bad roads nullify the efficiency in the production of goods by inefficiency in their transport. Defense - "the appalling inadequacies to meet the demands of catastrophe or defense, should an atomic war come."

Just want the record straight. Oh, and I was informing those who didn't know, how gov't ends up running with an originally good idea. Tolls are just another way to tax us in addition to the fuel tax you already are paying for the other 95% of Eisenhowe 's system.