Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2016, 12:38 AM   #41

I'm a retired truck driver that ran a lot from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia and back. 200 bucks a round trip. Not counting the fuel.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:19 AM   #42

Yup, yup and yup. Removing the toll booths was common knowledge for decades.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:25 AM   #43

It was the same in IL around Chicago.. should have been paid for and removed 40 years ago..

2013 Ram 2500 "Cummins"
2014 Columbus 340RK
Yogi Bear Jellystone CG
Caledonia, WI
August 12-15
5 stars
MacDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:14 AM   #44
World Wide Wanderer

The ONLY place I can recall toll booths being removed is Richmond, VA. They had I-95 tolled through the city, once they got the money and built I-295, they removed the tolls. However they do have some other toll roads that will stay toll roads.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:41 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlwilliams808 View Post
We are contemplating a trip from Louisiana to Niagra Falls amd Gettysburg, not sure about it now, I'm not fond of paying to drive on cruddy roads, learned that lesson in Florida.
Lol, Not every road around here is a toll. I rarely pay a toll and live in Baltimore. Just got back from Niagara falls and did not have a single toll. Once you are on I81 in Virginia, you should not see a toll, not sure about any before that. from 81, cutting over to Gettysburg, there is no toll there. Traveling up from there to the falls is route 15 all the way into Corning, new york, no tolls there either. After Corning, we had a lot of back country roads to get to the state park we were camping at but there were no tolls.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:48 AM   #46

Texas Res

I live in Texas bu t knew I was going to use the toll roads east of the Mississippi River when I was on vacation, so I went online to EZ Pass and opened an account and ordered my unit. I took approximately 6 days to receive it from USPS. When I received it, it was already activated and work just fine on the traveling I did on the states that accept it for tolls and makes it less expensive when paying tolls.

bmaggin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 12:19 PM   #47

My father and grand father speak of how the NYS througway (i90) was suppose to use tolls to get it paid for and then stop, like others states you have mentioned, that didnt happen. I will say thought that the NYS Throughway is pretty well kept up and well taken care of in the winter

I have had the NY Ezpass for a long time, dont travel much but its nice to have. Mine is set up for passenger vehicle. So not hauling i can just go through the regular land for ezpass. i have not found great clear answers and each tollbooth worker tells me something different. When towing i have to go through the cash lane getting on and off so they can flip a switch to say i have more axles today. i wonder if i would get caught going through the ezpass lane and get extra fees, but being to honest i dont try. Getting off last week the lady goes wow arent you honest, which leads me to beleive i could get away with using my regular passenger tag even while towing.

From near Utica (exit 32) to near Rochester (exit 46) it was 9.79 with 2 axle camper in tow

found old charge with out tow 32 - 40 = $2.76, not perfect but guess with the tow its about double
bpa098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:27 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpa098 View Post
My father and grand father speak of how the NYS througway (i90) was suppose to use tolls to get it paid for and then stop, like others states you have mentioned, that didnt happen. I will say thought that the NYS Throughway is pretty well kept up and well taken care of in the winter

I have had the NY Ezpass for a long time, dont travel much but its nice to have. Mine is set up for passenger vehicle. So not hauling i can just go through the regular land for ezpass. i have not found great clear answers and each tollbooth worker tells me something different. When towing i have to go through the cash lane getting on and off so they can flip a switch to say i have more axles today. i wonder if i would get caught going through the ezpass lane and get extra fees, but being to honest i dont try. Getting off last week the lady goes wow arent you honest, which leads me to beleive i could get away with using my regular passenger tag even while towing.

From near Utica (exit 32) to near Rochester (exit 46) it was 9.79 with 2 axle camper in tow

found old charge with out tow 32 - 40 = $2.76, not perfect but guess with the tow its about double
Check the EZ Pass website for your state. A lot of toll boths automatically detetect if you have extra axles.
tkarper14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:43 PM   #49

There used to be a toll road going out of Atlanta (GA400, I think?) but they finally took them down a few years ago. Now they have tolls for a few of the I-85/285 lanes that have rates that change by the minute based on how heavy traffic is. I'm about 40 miles east and give thanks every day that I don't have to deal with the traffic there.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:12 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridela View Post
I also have the Epass/Sunpass, but having come from Delaware, I have the EZpass as well.

Local newspaper had an article about the Sunpass linking up to EZpass sometime in the future, but its not ready and may not be for awhile.

On our trip north in may, we paid $24 to cross the Maryland Hatem Bridge over the Susquahanna river on I-95. This is ridiculous, we were in a pickup towing our fifth wheel with two axles. It just does not compute that it should cost that much to cross a bridge, that's all I'm saying!
I'm thinking you mean the Millard E Tydings bridge on I-95??

They only charge you going north, so in THEORY, you were paying for 2 trips across with a TV and 5ver, so really $12 to cross the bridge once.

If you did mean the Hatem bridge (Rte 40), it also only charges going north, so again, only $12 to cross "each way."

You need to take these roads south, and figure out how to NOT take them north!

Take Rte 1/222 across the Conowingo Dam? Then Rte 273 into Newark.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 04:34 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkarper14 View Post
Check the EZ Pass website for your state. A lot of toll boths automatically detetect if you have extra axles.
I did and it didn't say much. I know when I pull up to the cash lane they hit a few buttons before I can proceed
bpa098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:50 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I'm thinking you mean the Millard E Tydings bridge on I-95??

They only charge you going north, so in THEORY, you were paying for 2 trips across with a TV and 5ver, so really $12 to cross the bridge once.

If you did mean the Hatem bridge (Rte 40), it also only charges going north, so again, only $12 to cross "each way."

You need to take these roads south, and figure out how to NOT take them north!

Take Rte 1/222 across the Conowingo Dam? Then Rte 273 into Newark.
Cross the Conowingo Dam with RV in tow? Watch out that first 150' is super tight especially northbound. We do this a lot without TT then make the right at the end of dam. Cut through Port Deposit and back on Rt 40. I will haul TT thru a lot of places without worry, but I doubt it would be across this dam. $24 is a lot cheaper than my deductible.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:50 AM   #53

EZ-PASS is "supposed" to detect if you have a trailer or not. I have a special IE oversized vehicle pass in my dually. Basically I get charged more anytime I use the pike, and I use it quite a bit. My findings are that the trailer isn't detected, and I just pay my normal, higher than a passenger car rate. Mine is on auto replenishment, I don't even worry about what they hit me for.

It is absolutely foolish to use the turnpike without one, as you get a discount on toll rates with it. As posted earlier the tolls go up 6% again January 1 2017. But they have already said that's not the end of the rate hikes and they will continue to rise.
2016 Nights camped 5
ferguson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:09 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhduh camping View Post
Cross the Conowingo Dam with RV in tow? Watch out that first 150' is super tight especially northbound. We do this a lot without TT then make the right at the end of dam. Cut through Port Deposit and back on Rt 40. I will haul TT thru a lot of places without worry, but I doubt it would be across this dam. $24 is a lot cheaper than my deductible.
Do you know the height of the railroad underpass just before town? We are 13'6" maybe just stay on Rt.1 to 273 for us heading back to Newark area
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:30 AM   #55

Great topic as it relates to this forum. In reviewing the posts, I noticed that there is a general understanding that the tolls are for the use and maintenance of that road. Well, you must understand that exclusive of bridges and tunnels, toll roads are in their initial intent, were to pay the constuction bonds off, a logical concept. What has happened is the gov't entity created to administer the beast, NEVER goes away. The concept of the Eisenhower Interstate System, was to design, construct a countrywide road system to facilitate commerce and recreational travel. The reason why tolls exist on that network is because states like PA, NY, NJ, etc., built for the most part, before or during the 50's, their highway systems, as part of that overall design plan. Most toll roads, believe it or not, with the included legislative intent, to disolve the entity when the bonds were retired. However, as an example, lets look at the corruption in NY state for an example. The NYS Thruway was scheduled to become a "freeway" upon turning it over to the Federal Interstate Highway system in the early 90's, upon retirement of the construction bonds. But, by that time a massive "authority" was created. One can see signs of it as you drive by the four story NYS Thruway Authority building on I90 near Albany, those bureaucrats were not going to let that happen. So, when one of the Governors running at the time was using it on the stump, it woke up all the corrupt politicians, and they in turn, annexed the Erie canal under their authority, so as to convolute their authority to NEVER be allowed to disolve. I mean think of it, how could the generous people of the state of NY ever allow the historic erie canal to languish in possible disrepair. Seems it did fine up until they took it over. Now, as you drive near Syracuse, they built an exit, buildings all to display remnants of the old locks. Must have had xtra tolls (tax). Heres the thing, unless you understand the problem, we collectively can not address it. So, please pay attention, or you will be taxed to the point where you can't afford to use your RV's on the toll roads, that ironically in NY's case, should have become part of the Fed HY system decades ago and a free way, paid for by fuel taxes levied.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:04 AM   #56

NOT trying to be confrontational, but I disagree with this statement. I lived through most of the construction of it:

The concept of the Eisenhower Interstate System, was to design, construct a countrywide road system to facilitate commerce and recreational travel.

The concept was not just to facilitate commerce or recreational travel at all. In fact, at the time of conception the "Big Truck" industry was practically non-existent as it exists today. The main purpose of this, and the one that got it funded, was to foment a viable method for big city folks to escape in the event of a nuclear attack............ That's what Ike's guys had in mind. The other stuff is just gravy.

Had they known what Big Trucks would end up being, they'd have made a separate system for trucks and one for cars. Heck, there were not even many pickup trucks outside of farms at that time. Now, 80,000 lb trucks are tearing up way more than they pay in taxes to repair, and regardless, are causing what will forever be a litany of orange barrels........because road construction as it exists today cannot possibly keep up with either deterioration or growth issues.

That's my nine cents.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:28 AM   #57
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
NOT trying to be confrontational, but I disagree with this statement. I lived through most of the construction of it:

The concept of the Eisenhower Interstate System, was to design, construct a countrywide road system to facilitate commerce and recreational travel.

The concept was not just to facilitate commerce or recreational travel at all. In fact, at the time of conception the "Big Truck" industry was practically non-existent as it exists today. The main purpose of this, and the one that got it funded, was to foment a viable method for big city folks to escape in the event of a nuclear attack............ That's what Ike's guys had in mind. The other stuff is just gravy.

Had they known what Big Trucks would end up being, they'd have made a separate system for trucks and one for cars. Heck, there were not even many pickup trucks outside of farms at that time. Now, 80,000 lb trucks are tearing up way more than they pay in taxes to repair, and regardless, are causing what will forever be a litany of orange barrels........because road construction as it exists today cannot possibly keep up with either deterioration or growth issues.

That's my nine cents.
It was built under the national "defense" umbrella. The concept being to get people out of cities and to get military personnel and hardware anywhere in the country efficiently. It was based on the German Autobahn concept. What is interesting is that in Germany during WW II most military equipment was moved by rail rather than the Autobahn.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:10 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpa098 View Post
I did and it didn't say much. I know when I pull up to the cash lane they hit a few buttons before I can proceed
Yeah, you are correct. The NY EZ Pass website says very little. The PA website has it under the FAQ section. So does Delaware.
tkarper14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:26 AM   #59

I have a friend that has the EZ pass and he says it doesn`t charge you for the trailer , just the truck in New York . Not sure if other states do the same. That would add the savings up in a hurry.
Big Red and 30WR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:27 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Do you know the height of the railroad underpass just before town? We are 13'6" maybe just stay on Rt.1 to 273 for us heading back to Newark area
Not off hand, I have a friend in Port Deposit. I will find out. Cars park on streets a lot especially Sundays. It can be very tight thru PD.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote