Old 08-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #1

Suggestions on travelling to WDW

Hi friends! We are looking into our route to WDW coming up the end of Sept. We will be taking I-79, I-77, I-26, I-95. We were looking to stop for overnight and possibly a day somewhere and are looking for any good suggestions!

We were looking at stopping somewhere around the area between Columbia, NC and Savannah, GA (maybe closer to Savannah would make the second day a breeze!) to get the biggest part of our trip done the first day. Are there any good campgrounds in this area or sights to see that would be worth visiting?

Thanks in advance for all the help!!

Old 08-22-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

I stayed at an overnight stop in Rincon, GA called Whispering Pines (I think) off of I-95. Not sure if that's on your route or not.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #3

Are you staying at Fort Wilderness? We just got back from 3 nights there and it was a blast!
Old 08-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #4

We will be going I-95 through most of SC and all of GA, so Rincon would be along our route. We will pick up I-95 off I-26 in the middles of SC.

And yes, we are staying at the Fort! We will be at the Fort for 14 days!!
Old 08-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
Camper Less Camping

If your willing to make your stop about 2hrs south of Savannah...there is an awesome campground right off I-95 in Brunswick, GA called Coastal GA RV Resort.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:30 PM   #6

Thanks Rajin...I'll have to look into that, although 2 hours past Savannah might be a bit farther than I was looking to go the first day...
Old 08-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #7

If you want to go to a really nice park and of you have an extra day check out the campground at James Island County Park just southeast of Charleston. We stopped in there for a couple of days earlier this summer. Really nice park with great bike routes, a water park, a repelling wall. Pretty place.. Check out their web site attached.

http://www.ccprc.com/index.aspx?NID=1434

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #8

Thanks dalford! I will check that out!

Any good campgrounds in Hilton Head... I have heard that is a good place to visit... We did work out the schedule that we have an extra day we can take on the way down to do some sightseeing!
Old 08-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #9

I need to sub to this thread as we are going down in Jan and want to find a place to just overnight and leave first thing in the morning for FW. Last time we stayed in the JAX area at a hotel and it was a tight squeeze getting in and out plus it was a little farther than we wanted to go. Savannah looks like a good stop point.

Regarding HHI, the last I looked there is no camping other than a lux RV Class A resort, no other campers allowed. We have been to HHI many times but we always stayed at a beach hotel. The RV resort is up at the entrance to the island and not exactly along the way. HHI is a nice place to visit!
CHD Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
If you want to go to a really nice park and of you have an extra day check out the campground at James Island County Park just southeast of Charleston. We stopped in there for a couple of days earlier this summer. Really nice park with great bike routes, a water park, a repelling wall. Pretty place.. Check out their web site attached.

Charleston County Parks and Recreation - Campground
Stayed at this park (James Island County Park) for 7 days at SpringBreak 2013..... Great Great Park in a great location for all of our 'running' around the Charleston area. If my family gets back to Charleston, this is the only park on our list. They are a 'Sams Club' campground if you belong to 'Sams Club'.

We also stayed at Fort Wilderness for Spring Break 2012. To have a great time at any of the Parks..... Plan and Plan some more your routes within each parkbefore you get there. Don't waste your valuable time on most of the 'side shows' or long lines.... use the 'Fast pass' as much as you can. The day we were at Epcot, it rained lightly all day long.... it turned out to be really great as there were NO crowds at all because of the rain and most of the venues were 'inside' anyway....

Enjoy James Island and The Fort, places worth returning to.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel